Help on maintenance

Options
idk319
idk319 Posts: 33 Member
edited June 2017 in Goal: Maintaining Weight
How many calories would an 18 year old girl who is approx 5'9" and 124 lbs need to maintain that weight while being sedentary?

Replies

• kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    You are underweight. Eat more. If you can't get yourself to eat more, seek help.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    Why don't you trust the number this site gave you when you set up your profile?
  • idk319
    Options
    It says about 1700, but I find it hard to stick to this number, I have a big appetite and feel the urge to eat more than that
  • L1zardQueen
    L1zardQueen Posts: 8,754 Member
    Options
    Your body is telling you that you need to eat more. You are underweight and most likely your body doesn't approve.
  • J72FIT
    J72FIT Posts: 5,948 Member
    Options
    Going by your height, I would guess around the 2k mark...
  • idk319
    Options
    No, actually I have the same appetite I did when I was overweight
  • Jthanmyfitnesspal
    Jthanmyfitnesspal Posts: 3,522 Member
    edited June 2017
    Options
    You need 1689kcals per day according to the "M-StJ" formula. It is widely accepted, but can be off by a 100kcals or so above or below. You get extra for almost any activity, so don't be afraid to add a bit more.

http://www.sailrabbit.com/bmr/

At 18, your body and mind are still growing, so focus on good nutrition, exercise, and good habits overall. Body and mind are linked, you need to develop both in parallel. Learn how to buy and prepare real unprocessed foods into meals that give you good proteins, fats, and carbs in proportion. Develop activities that you enjoy and build a lifelong habit of being active. Avoid self-destructive behaviors, including lack of sleep, smoking, drinking alcohol, or drugs.

Most importantly, be skeptical of the information that comes at from you at all sides. Nutrition information is highly subjective, meaning there are many different opinions and few facts. Take your time to understand the arguments behind all these approaches so you can make your own choices.