Want to begin heavy lifting / low reps. Advise please...

Hi all!

I have been trolling the message boards for a couple of weeks looking for advise on strength training. I am losing at a deficit and have been doing bodyweight strength training. From what I have read most of you agree that lifting heavy with low reps is better to retain muscle mass than just bodyweight training.

My questions are:
Did you start with low weights and move up or go straight to heavy?
Where can I find a good beginner workout schedule for heavy lifts/low reps?

Thanks for any advise you can give me!

Replies

• Iron_Lotus
    Iron_Lotus Posts: 2,295 Member
    Always start lower you don't want to hurt yourself. I started with a weight that I could lift for 5 sets of 5 reps

Look into stronglifts and make sure you look at vdeos on proper form
  • Leadfoot_Lewis
    Leadfoot_Lewis Posts: 1,623 Member
    Buy the book Starting Strength. It is the Bible of Barbell lifting. Everything you need to know is in the book - form, exercises, routines, etc. You ALWAYS start light and progress from there.
  • AliceA2013
    AliceA2013 Posts: 65 Member
    You need to determine your 1-rep maximum weight for various exercises under qualified supervision to ensure good form. Then you lift weights at about 70% of that - it varies depending on your aim. The 1-rep max or 1-RM is the maximum amount of weight you can just about manage with one repetition and can't possibly go on to a second with good form. As you progress, you need to re-assess your 1-RM for each major muscle group about once a month.

The evidence is that increasing from one to two sets of reps only increases strength by 3-4% so it's no longer advised except for heavy-duty weight lifters.
  • Rambo529
    Rambo529 Posts: 170 Member
    Starting Strength, Strong Lifts, and New Rules of Lifting for Women are all really good resources to get started. Start with what's "heavy" for you at the time and keep pushing. What's heavy for me now seemed impossible when I started.
  • Cheekies_
    Cheekies_ Posts: 319 Member
    Thanks everyone! This gives me a great place to start.