Spinning (cycling class) and knee pain

Options
Niki_Fitz
Niki_Fitz Posts: 945 Member
edited June 2017 in Fitness and Exercise
I'm looking for advice for taking care of my knees in spin class. I have moderate tendinitis from patelofemoral joint overload. In the past Spinning has sometimes been fine for my knees and has sometimes made them hurt. Any thoughts?

Another question: when I had SI joint issues Spin was not great for this either. It's no longer an issue but would anyone know why this was? I assume it has to do with instability and weight shifting. But any insights are appreciated.

Replies

• Alisonswim46
    Alisonswim46 Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    Make sure your bike is set up properly. Ask the instructor to help you.
  • pomegranatecloud
    pomegranatecloud Posts: 812 Member
    Options
    I have tendinitis, and spinning bothers my knees when my bike isn't set up properly even if it's just slightly off. I'd try adjusting your bike, and finding what feelings best - not just relying on the set up the instructor helps you with.

Spinning is usually fine for me, but when I'm having patellar tracking issues it bothers me so I avoid spinning then.
  • Niki_Fitz
    edited June 2017
    Options
    @Joenali, good thought, I will ask the instructor to check my bike.
    I have tendinitis, and spinning bothers my knees when my bike isn't set up properly even if it's just slightly off. I'd try adjusting your bike, and finding what feelings best - not just relying on the set up the instructor helps you with.

Spinning is usually fine for me, but when I'm having patellar tracking issues it bothers me so I avoid spinning then.

Your last sentence is insightful. The patella tracking issue comes and goes for me too.
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,970 Member
    Options
    Saddle height being wrong will cause knee pain. You need to adjust the bike to fit you.
  • Niki_Fitz
    edited June 2017
    Options
    Saddle height being wrong will cause knee pain. You need to adjust the bike to fit you.

Right. So my saddle is always the same height, and the knees are sometimes fine with spinning and sometimes hurt.

I am wondering about my technique, or avoiding certain moves like so-called jumping. My instinct is to avoid too many ups and downs out of the saddle. So I did less of that than the rest of the class today. I have no pain from class today.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    Saddle height being too low is the most frequent mistake I see.
    Is your always the same height actually the correct height? Have someone check (also the fore and aft position of the saddle while less important does make a difference).

Cleated shoes make a big contribution to keeping all your joints properly aligned.

Don't go ultra high cadence as you can lose good souplesse. Controlled and smooth is far easier on your joints. Technique can also go when you are exhausted or when standing or when the resistance is too light....

I have an unstable knee and there are days standing cycling elements and jumps are simply a bad idea and days when they are fine.
  • Derf_Smeggle
    Derf_Smeggle Posts: 611 Member
    Options
    I have some permanent damage to my right knee from a car accident.

Not sure this applies to spin bikes, but a former cycling culprit for aggravating the bad knee was my seat being adjusted too far forward. My knee was extending too far forward on my down stroke. Similar to seat being too low.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,164 Member
    Options
    I don't have what you have (I have a torn meniscus + arthritis), but find that certain details of form make a difference in knee pain for me while spinning, FWIW. I'm talking about things like flexing/extending the foot vs. keeping it flat, allowing knees to drop slightly inward or outward vs. shins staying parallel, which part of the foot applies pressure (if not clipped in with cycling shoes), etc.

For me, I've found that routinely icing after spin class (or any other stressor exercise) is helpful (whether I think I particularly need it specifically that day or not), but science disputes that this is necessary or desirable. (Shrug.)
  • Niki_Fitz
    Options
    Thanks everyone, this is all helpful. The icing is a good reminder @AnnPT77 and I appreciate all your insights on form. @Derf_Smeggle the knee extension insight could be useful for me; I will watch that as well. @sijomial I often avoid jumps when I'm more tender so that reinforces my instinct, thank you.
  • Leadfoot_Lewis
    Leadfoot_Lewis Posts: 1,623 Member
    Options
    I agree with the others.

I instructor Spin and any instructor worth a crap should make sure everyone has proper bike fit. Also, don't spin with a high cadence and no resistance (more than 120 rpm) or with really heavy resistance and a slow cadence (less than 60 rpm). These can also be really hard on the knees on a fixed gear/Spin bike.
  • Niki_Fitz
    Options
    I agree with the others.

I instructor Spin and any instructor worth a crap should make sure everyone has proper bike fit. Also, don't spin with a high cadence and no resistance (more than 120 rpm) or with really heavy resistance and a slow cadence (less than 60 rpm). These can also be really hard on the knees on a fixed gear/Spin bike.
    Excellent.