Frustrated!

Options
I always weigh myself on Friday mornings before I eat anything. Last Friday I weighed in at 139.8 at was totally happy that I finally reached the 130's after months being stuck in the 140's. This week I totally kicked it with running every other day and weights and other cardio every other day. I worked out a total of 5 days this week and did perfect on my diet. Stayed under my calories every day. So today, I was totally shocked when I stepped on the scale. It showed 141.2!! What happend? Last week was my period so I am not due for one and I havent eaten any more or less than last week and if anything, added an extra workout this week so why did I gain 1.4 pounds from last week? I just feel I took 2 steps back after what I though was a good week of diet and exercise. Any one have this same issue?

Replies

• Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    HATE when that happens. Possibly the increase in exercise brought on some water weight. And how under on calories were you - too far under isn't a good thing. I wouldn't stress too much - likely it will balance out and you'll see that loss again next week.
  • IGbnat24
    IGbnat24 Posts: 520 Member
    Options
    It happens to everyone. Could be hormones, water retention from extra salt or carbs you had the night before, your muscles holding water while they repair.

If you've been doing everything right, just keep at it. Next week you'll probably be at 138!
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    change in exercise could increase water retention or if you had more sodium or less potassium than usual that too would lead to water retention
  • jessicapk
    jessicapk Posts: 574 Member
    Options
    Happens to me sometimes but I keep it up then I get a huge loss the next week. Don't let the fluctuations bother you.
  • DanaanMcGregor
    Options
    If exercise is adding muscle that will add weight to your scale. Don't be discouraged! Concentrate on fat loss.
  • EmmieBaby
    EmmieBaby Posts: 1,235 Member
    Options
    Weight fluctuates for many reasons.

"Stayed under my calories every day"

do you eat your exercise calories? if you are working out hard and not eating enough your body will be in shock...think like trying to light a fire without fuel.

overall don't give up! it takes time and patience :)
  • jljshoe1979
    jljshoe1979 Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    HATE when that happens. Possibly the increase in exercise brought on some water weight. And how under on calories were you - too far under isn't a good thing. I wouldn't stress too much - likely it will balance out and you'll see that loss again next week.
    change in exercise could increase water retention or if you had more sodium or less potassium than usual that too would lead to water retention

This^^ I hate it when the scale does not give the "right" number (didn't it get the memo????) Give yourself another week and see if things balance out.