To ink or not to ink....

Options
13»

Replies

• jnichel
    jnichel Posts: 4,553 Member
    Options
    LZMiner wrote: »
    Such a dilemma! Ihave a potential tattoo in mind, but I'm somewhat of a commitment probe and worry about buyers remorse a few years out! Anyone have ink that they really regret? Would you choose something different and are there times you choose to cover it?

I have two that I would change if I could go back in time. I'd still get a tattoo at those times; just something different.

1) My first tattoo, a Confederate Flag on my upper left arm. I was born and raised in Louisiana and to me, the Confederate Flag just symbolized being a Southerner; not once did it enter my mind that it symbolized something other than that to other people. I was in young, in the Navy and fresh out of boot camp at the time when a shipmate and I decided Navy people have tattoos. We each got the same tattoo with the exception of his saying "Tennessee" and mine saying "Louisiana". It wasn't until I got out to the fleet that I realized it meant something else to other people. Now, I'm still proud to be a Southerner, but I wish I would have gotten a different symbol to display that.

51jclja15rn7.jpg

2) Desert Shield was in full swing when I was scheduled to get out of the Navy and when I was asked to re-up, I requested a transfer to a combat ship currently in Persian Gulf. When that request was denied, I decided not to re-up (I was offered recruiter duty in New Orleans, but I didn't join the Navy to go back home), and the Navy involuntary extended my active status. This pissed me off and I went and got a broken anchor with the phrase, "U.S.N. Never Again" around it. It took me a few years to realize how wrong I was in doing that. Yes it sucked that I didn't get the billet I wanted. Yes it sucked that I was forced to stay on active duty longer than originally planed, however, I was thinking like an individual and not as a part of a team.

cnvobobattmf.jpg

• TheJourneyToFabulous
    TheJourneyToFabulous Posts: 381 Member
    edited June 2017
    Options
    I have a few regret none of them. But I am always 100% what I want and where takes me forever to decide as it's there for life. Just make sure your 100% sure
  • KeepRunningFatboy
    KeepRunningFatboy Posts: 3,055 Member
    Options
    Yes, I have several, love then
  • work_on_it
    work_on_it Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    I have the stupidest reason... but my theory has always been... if have I have to go Jason Bourne style... one of the first things they ask is "any visible markings or tattoos?"

Get some rest @LZMiner , you look tired.
  • Monkey_Business
    Monkey_Business Posts: 1,800 Member
    Options
    You can always do something really original with some nice ink or do something even more original and get none.
  • philhagan
    philhagan Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    I think if you are going to get one make sure it's relevant to you, don't get one for the sake of wanting a tattoo, you could regret it a few years later. Personally I wouldn't get a tattoo but they can look good on people.
  • gymfanatic2016
    gymfanatic2016 Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    Ink
  • JosephPulaski
    JosephPulaski Posts: 304 Member
    Options
    LZMiner wrote: »
    Such a dilemma! Ihave a potential tattoo in mind, but I'm somewhat of a commitment probe and worry about buyers remorse a few years out! Anyone have ink that they really regret? Would you choose something different and are there times you choose to cover it?

Do it!!! :)
  • gottennis_2
    gottennis_2 Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    My wife has a couple and what she will do is when she has an idea for one she finds some one who can paint one on that will last a week or so. It washes off eventually. This will help her make the decision if it is what she wants or not or if she likes the location of it.
    Just a suggestion.
  • vnb_208
    vnb_208 Posts: 1,359 Member
    Options
    I have 3 no regrets, I got one at 18 to spite my parents its doesn't mean anything at all its a flower & its cute so eh.
  • cogirljb
    cogirljb Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    Do it, I've never regretted any of mine!!!
  • feisty_bucket
    feisty_bucket Posts: 1,047 Member
    Options
    What if you have to go deep into enemy territory as a ninja secret agent, and are taken captive? Then you wouldn't want identifying marks on you they could use for identification.

That's concern #1. Then there's my aesthetic view, similar to graffiti: I can't think of a wall that didn't look better before it got tagged up with scribbles.

But you should do what you want.
  • Bfit614
    Bfit614 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Ink.
  • 1Wildthang
    1Wildthang Posts: 2,660 Member
    Options
    It's really personal preference. Just a note from experience, don't put a name on you unless it's a parent, sibling or child. Not every "partnership" is a forever thing.
  • deteriminedAMY
    deteriminedAMY Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I don't have any tattoos but will your ink be visible for all or in a discrete location. If you are second guessing yourself then I would wait till you are sure one way or the other. ;)
  • Nebur2345
    Nebur2345 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I say do it
  • Mymfp12345
    Mymfp12345 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Fuckimg delicious