Yes... another macro post

BrandiJ1984
BrandiJ1984 Posts: 6 Member
edited June 2017 in Food and Nutrition
Hello all,
I'm currently on a very low carb diet and have been for quite some time. While I've lost weight and look better than I have in years, however I'm starting to see not so glamorous effects this diet has on me. I often times have a hard time focusing, lately I feel weak and sluggish/tired often times, and it's easier for me to binge because I want them carbies. So my question is, what are your macros set to and Why? High carb, high fat, mixture of all... whatever it is I'd love to know the why of it all and it's effectiveness on physical performance and health.

Thank you!
Brandi

Replies

• nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    I'm very low carb (almost zero), moderate protein and high fat. I like that because I have very steady energy with no ups or downs, and it agrees with my health needs.

I was just keto low carb (20-50g) for most of 2 years. I felt good when carbs were nearer to 20g but I was experienceing carb creep upwards which I find very difficult to stop. Carbs drive my appetite. Carbs tend to lead to energy swings in me too which also led to wanting to eat more for energy.

For me, avoiding most carbs gives the best results in my health, and tends to assist in weight loss due to reduced appetite and better energy. Right now my macros are set at 0C/25P/75F.
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    I'm at 40-30-30 but often end up eating 50-25-25. That end up being @ 200g carbs 100g protein 50g fat. After some experimenting I found I really do thrive on carbs - lots of whole grains, fruits, and veggies. I get hangry and fatigued when my day is low carb.

If you want to stick with low carb for whatever reason, perhaps just raise your carb level a little bit at a time until you find your sweet spot?
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    I am currently cutting.. my protein is typically around 130-150g, fat is 75-100g and carbs are the rest usually 150-250g. My protein is on the higher side for satiety as well as muscle maintenance during my cut. I also keep carbs higher on lifting days, I find carbs help fuel my workouts and help me perform and recover better.
  • needstobefit15
    needstobefit15 Posts: 119 Member
    My trainer has me at 40% carbs,40% protein and 20% fats. Before I had this trainer I was just counting calories. So this is all new to me.
  • JustRobby1
    JustRobby1 Posts: 674 Member
    For me personally, I pretty much ignore macros for all intents and purposes except for protein on days I go heavy. Since my primary goal is fat loss, I have learned over time that the only metric that seems to matter much for my body is calories in. vs calories out. Provided I am mindful of this, it does not really matter much what I eat.
  • deannalfisher
    deannalfisher Posts: 5,600 Member
    working with a dietician for me - I'm on about 50% carbs, 26% protein, 24% fat - but they do carb cycle me - so I have a high (345g), medium (306g) and low day (246g) - lower carb day is a higher fat day; protein is fixed at 140g per day