My wrist is big and when I put my middle finger and thumb around it they touch. Am I big boned?

Options
My wrist is big and when I put my middle finger and thumb around it they touch. Am I big boned? I'm trying to figure out my frame size. I used to be skinny a long time ago but now I'm over weight and can't remember what I looked like at my lowest weight.

Replies

• jennybearlv
    jennybearlv Posts: 1,519 Member
    Options
    You might just have long fingers. Wait. I do have really long fingers and my middle finger and thumb don't touch. Does that mean I really am just big boned after all?
  • musicfan68
    musicfan68 Posts: 1,126 Member
    Options
    When I do that, there is about an inch gap. I am big boned-my wrist is 7.5 inches around, no fat on my wrists. Usually you use a measuring tape around your wrist, or measure the width of your elbow.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    My thumb and middle finger do not touch around my wrist, i have a normal/average frame, I'm 5"8 . I dont think this is a reliable test...
  • ruqayyahsmum
    ruqayyahsmum Posts: 1,514 Member
    Options
    People say to me all the time "your not fat, your big boned"
    No dude im fat. My bmi is still low 40's down from a high of 70
    The fact my wrists are 7.5cm is no indicator of my frame
  • evileen99
    evileen99 Posts: 1,564 Member
    Options
    You really can't tell from that. That test ignores that some people have long fingers and some have short fingers. And that the size of your ribcage is far more relevant to your frame size than the size of your wrist.

Frame size is about bone mass, not about the width of anything. People think having broad shoulders, chest or hips mean they have a "large frame" but that not's true. It's about bone diameter, which is why it's traditionally calculated from your arm.
  • GoldenEye_
    GoldenEye_ Posts: 330 Member
    Options
    My thumb and pinky finger can touch up until 1/3 of my lower arm. Does that mean I'm small boned?
    No, I calculated that even when I'm at the very bottom of a healthy weight a medium pants will be tight for me (with an hourglass shape).
    It's all about proportions.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    My wrist is big and when I put my middle finger and thumb around it they touch. Am I big boned? I'm trying to figure out my frame size. I used to be skinny a long time ago but now I'm over weight and can't remember what I looked like at my lowest weight.

Why do you need to know your frame size?
  • Tried30UserNames
    Tried30UserNames Posts: 561 Member
    Options
    My thumb and middle finger just touch around my wrist most of the time. If I'm a little bloated they don't. If I gain more weight they won't. If I lose more weight, they'll reach even more easily. My wrist gets bigger or smaller depending on how fat or thin I am, or on how much salt I've had, or on how humid the weather is (more humidity, bigger wrist). I don't think that's a very good way to determine frame size.
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    Options
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    Forget about "bone" size. Look more at your body fat percentage. Body fat percentage doesn't rely on frame size, height or shape.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

This. ^
  • SusanMFindlay
    SusanMFindlay Posts: 1,804 Member
    Options
    evileen99 wrote: »
    You really can't tell from that. That test ignores that some people have long fingers and some have short fingers. And that the size of your ribcage is far more relevant to your frame size than the size of your wrist.

Frame size is about bone mass, not about the width of anything. People think having broad shoulders, chest or hips mean they have a "large frame" but that not's true. It's about bone diameter, which is why it's traditionally calculated from your arm.

But calculating it from your arm needs to involve a measuring tape (and will still be flawed if the person has enough fat to make their wrist larger; losing weight has definitely shrunk my wrists). Using fingers to measure it is highly inaccurate.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    My thumb and middle finger do not touch around my wrist, i have a normal/average frame, I'm 5"8 . I dont think this is a reliable test...

Mine touch easily with room to spare, but I have long fingers (used to always be told I should play the piano, but I hated to practice, which long fingers don't compensate for), and probably narrow wrists. Medium to small frame, I'd guess, but NOT a reliable test.
  • mu1mms922
    mu1mms922 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    In my early 20s I was a size 14 and I had a small frame size according to that wrist size. Now that I am really really big, I've tried it and I get large frame. My frame has not changed since my early 20s. This tells me that there is more fat accumulated on my body then I had thought. So, that test is really incorrect and pretty worthless. IMO. Better is the crook of the elbow to test- that has not changed for me at all. Still have a small frame, large portions of fat.
  • blackcars7411
    blackcars7411 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    This test is still done by doctors & healthcare professionals. My fingers didn't touch, so that was added to one of their established criteria of being overweight. All doctors & healthcare officials varie in what they measure to establish obesity diagnosis. Some use the current evidenced based researched ways of bmi, weight, etc in addition to extra not so common ways.
  • L1zardQueen
    L1zardQueen Posts: 8,754 Member
    Options
    I have sausage fingers and am small framed according to my doctor and yet my fingers barely touch.