Flood me with business travel tips!

Options
Hey all, I was wondering if you all had some tips for staying on track during business trips! I will be eating out for an entire week and don't want to lose the momentum of all my hard work to get here. Any tips?

Replies

• Whitezombiegirl
    Whitezombiegirl Posts: 1,042 Member
    Options
    Room picnics! This is what i do.

I buy plain salad bowls (no dressing, i carry a bottle of vinegar as i prefer it). I buy various protein options - cooked chicken, crustless quiches, small pots of greek yoghurt, hard boiled eggs.

For snacks i grab prepped veg like cellery sticks or carrot battons or fruit.

Instant oatmeal pots are great too, as is instant mug soup.

I try not to eat out in restaurants while im travelling.
  • Jus_gem
    Jus_gem Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Low carb on all your choices in restaurants and be careful of sauces too.

If you can, keep food in your room. Whatever works for your plan. Fruit, porridge pots, itsu noodles, sugar snap peas, carrot sticks, drink lots of water and stay full.

I find with work that long meetings and too much coffee leave me hungry tired and making bad choices.
  • TilKingdomCome
    TilKingdomCome Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    I take a plastic bowl, knife, spoon and fork set.

Take oats or something you can make in your room for breakfast. I also do a small shop as soon as I can for milk, bread, cheese and fruit and put in the mini bar and make my own lunches and snacks.

I try to order from the kids menu for dinner when out.
  • RED_0N3
    RED_0N3 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Just aim for whatever is closest to a protein with vegetables. Also remember you can ask for certain things such as no cream sauce on your chicken or hold the rice.

Protein bars can be your friend in between meals but just make sure they're not full of sugar. Go Quest bar and play it safe.

If you can, take prepped meals with you. 6 pack bags are helpful to carry your meals around in your car or plane.
  • Heather4448
    Heather4448 Posts: 908 Member
    Options
    @priestp1
    Come help a fellow business traveler :)
  • nowine4me
    nowine4me Posts: 3,985 Member
    Options
    This assumes you are required to eat all meals with others - if not, adjust accordingly.....
    Breakfast - vegetable omelette, fruit, yogurt (you can get those literally anywhere)
    Lunch - lunch with grilled chicken or salmon, dressing on the side, light cheese
    Dinner - lean meat (beef, pork, chicken, fish), vegetables, one glass wine and skip dessert unless it's fruit or sorbet
    Snacks- bring protein bars, fruit, nuts (no one cares if you snack during a meeting)

This is WAY easier said than done. I always gain a few # on business travel. Or sometimes many. Try to hit the gym or run outside first thing in the morning and at least have a bank to work with each day.
  • Hamsibian
    Hamsibian Posts: 1,388 Member
    Options
    Check to see if there are any convenience or grocery stores near the hotels. Within walking distance would be great to get some movement in. Buy your essentials - bagged salads, fruit, protein bars, tuna pouches, nut butter, nuts, dried fruit, whatever. I'm guessing most of the food will be provided at meetings. I've been to plenty of training and meetings, and nobody cares if you bring your own food. Will you be having business dinners every night? If the outings get planned in advance, check the restaurants' online menus.

Fit in movement whenever possibe. The hotel gym, youtube videos, Walk outside during breaks, take the steps instead of an elevator. You get the picture :smile:
  • Holly2233
    Holly2233 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the tips! There aren't any grocery stores near me but I got some cream (must for coffee), granola bars and bottled water. That'll take care of breakfast. I like the protein with veggies suggestion.. It's simple. Much better than a heavy pizza or pasta dish. :smiley: I like the hotel picnic too but I have lunch and dinner obligations all week. I'll be updating my diary if you want to friend and follow me