Tips for vacation

Alethio87
Alethio87 Posts: 4 Member
Hi everybody,

I'm going on vacation next month in England for about two weeks. Does anybody have any tips on how not to drown in all the English Breakfast and Pub Food fat? How do you estimate your calorie intake when you eat out three meals a day?

Replies

• kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Just don't overeat, and you'll be fine. Eating three meals a day and plenty of fat, and not worrying, is what keeps me from overeating.
  • CathReese33
    CathReese33 Posts: 112 Member
    Most english pubs do serve salads... so you can easily keep your calories in check - as for breakfasts ask for poached eggs on toast. We have finally caught up and have lots of healthy places to eat. You just need to be mindful and allow yourself treats such as afternoon tea, but just remember there are about 1000 calories in those little goodies... :-) Enjoy and good luck
  • Tried30UserNames
    Tried30UserNames Posts: 561 Member
    Make sure you're active on vacation so you do have more calories you can eat. With sightseeing and touring, you may find yourself walking 8-10 miles a day so you will have more leeway in eating. Don't make every meal an event. Perhaps you want to have one nice meal a day and then just eat lightly the rest of the day. Or if you want larger meals, maybe have only two meals a day instead of three.

I do love a good English breakfast so I tend to indulge in that.
  • estherdragonbat
    estherdragonbat Posts: 5,283 Member
    I'm slowly building a healthier relationship with food. The last vacation I took, I deliberately set my calories for maintenance, because I knew that there would be two multi-course family dinners in eight days and I knew what seeing red numbers on my diary page would do to me. I ate closer to maintenance, moved a bit less... and still dropped a couple of pounds during those two weeks. (One week later, I was up 0.2 because weight-loss isn't linear, among other things, but whatever.) It's a thought. Diet breaks are suggested every eight weeks or so. Maybe more of a cushion will help you relax and still stay on the rails.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Alethio87 wrote: »
    Hi everybody,

I'm going on vacation next month in England for about two weeks. Does anybody have any tips on how not to drown in all the English Breakfast and Pub Food fat? How do you estimate your calorie intake when you eat out three meals a day?

I generally find that if I have a full English breakfast I don't need lunch or a massive tea so sticking to my cals is pretty easy.

Saying that I don't worry about what I eat on holiday, I just enjoy myself.
  • Meaganinsardinia
    Meaganinsardinia Posts: 42 Member
    Two weeks should be fine. Any longer in England and weight gain is mandatory. Its called the Heathrow Injection. http://heathrow-injection.com :wink:

Have a great holiday :smile:
  • dutchandkiwi
    dutchandkiwi Posts: 1,389 Member
    Well you don't have to at a full english breakfast. Nobody will shove it down your throat. And generally speaking pub food has improved dramatically over the last few decades. I hope you will be pleasantly surprised.
    If you are staying in hotels or B&B there will also be continental breakfast as they call it Cereals or bread and often croissants. A B&B will happily serve you porridge too. In pubs they do serve salads and fish (not fried) and other stuff.
    Of course you can overeat there. You can anywhere, just be mindful and logical. For dinner focus salads (dressing on the side) grilled fish, soups etc. The logical thing.
    You profile does not state where you are from, but FWIW I have always found the portions in the UK smaller than the ones in the USA when I visited there.