Thoughts on coffee?

Options
StacyReneO
StacyReneO Posts: 317 Member
I am not a coffee drinker normally but maybe 2x a week I will have half a cup. I did actually drink bulletprrof coffee for a couple of months and that was really the only time I drank coffee everyday as it counted for my breakfast. What I am wondering about is I hear people say how coffee boots their metabolism and keeps their cravings down. It honestly sounds like BS to me, but in my new office I am watching the artists go thru 3-4 pots of coffee a day and I rarely see them eat! Thoughts?

Replies

• HacheraTsarine
    HacheraTsarine Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    Coffee is known to be a mild hunger suppressant, that's why people say it keeps their cravings down. Caffeine is also known as a central nervous system stimulant. I don't think it has a real effect on the metabolism. It's more like it gives you more energy to do more stupid stuff more rapidly (lol).

I personnally drink 3-4 cups of black coffee, because I just love the taste of coffee. I'm of Haitian descent and have been drinking coffee since I was 6-7 years old. Not recommended, but eh, nothing I can do about it anymore.
  • JusticeGirl25
    JusticeGirl25 Posts: 703 Member
    Options
    Yeah I love coffee, have at least a cup of that stuff a day, but I gotta have something to eat.
  • Valarama
    Valarama Posts: 22
    Options
    i'm addicted to coffee, i'll drink anywhere from 4-7 cups a day. it doesn't do squat to me anymore though b/c i've been doing this for like a year now. i can easily drink 2 cups and take a nap. :3
  • Crazy77277
    Options
    Well in my experience coffee issss a stimulant and can suppress hunger but what nutrition are you getting from coffee? empty calories? and on top of that do we really need any more stimulants in our bodies. stimulants trash your adrenals and will keep you from losing weight. guess we have to weigh the benefits. ;) self control and good food choices are the better bet in my experience.
  • JustJennie1
    JustJennie1 Posts: 3,843 Member
    Options
    Love my coffee.

Some mornings the lure of that steaming hot cup of deliciousness is the one thing that keeps me going through my early morning workout.
  • amylb0822
    amylb0822 Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    I like coffee, and until recently had been known to drink at least 2 cups a day and also have iced coffee . i drink it black or with alittle sweetner and no fat creamer.

But, a few weeks ago my surgeon told me that I had to cut all caffiene out as it has an eroding effect on the lining of the stomach..........eeeeeeeeeeeek!
  • Resa001
    Resa001 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    I love coffee. I love the taste. I also love the routine that goes with it: preparing and sharing it at home, the walk to buy it and socializing that comes with it at work, driving thru with my husband/friends.

I owe it big time for helping me make it through college... cramming for tests and finishing papers may not have been possible without that caffeine buzz! Now I'm immune to it unless it's exceptionally strong; normally I can drink it and go to sleep shortly after. I can do without it and be ok still... went without for most of my week long vacation earlier this month. I try to drink a glass or two of water after I have it.

I think it gets a bad rap. If you're not loading it with cream and sugar or drinking it by the gallon, I think it is a perfectly healthy addition to any diet. Everything in moderation. : )
  • stefjc
    stefjc Posts: 484 Member
    Options
    Well, coffee is almost kcal free, depending on what you put in it. Strong black real coffee is about 5kcals.

Coffee is on the banned substance list in many sports - most have a 1 cup limit, rowing 0, none whatsoever.

You can weaken your adrenal glands but the 'you can whip your adrenal glands' stuff is really overhyped. 2 - 3 normal cups a day is OK for most people and there are no human studies that suggest otherwise.

But that bulletproof stuff I have never understood on a lot of levels. Mainly - why do that to a perfectly good drink?
  • sunshyncatra
    sunshyncatra Posts: 598 Member
    Options
    I love my coffee. You don't want to see me without my coffee.
  • daisyeyes
    daisyeyes Posts: 144
    Options
    I drink 1-2 cups of coffee every day. Yes, it has been known to lessen your appetite. It's good so long as you don't put lots of cream n' sugar in it.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    I love my coffee...I have a couple cups every morning. Drink coffee if you like coffee...don't drink coffee because you believe it has some magical weight loss properties. When I was fat I drank like 1/2 pot a day...I still got fat. Anything promising a "metabolic boost" may in fact give you some kind of a boos...but it's minimal; you might burn like an extra 3 calories in the hour after you drink it or something. As far as being an appetite suppressant...I haven't found this to be true in the least...usually have mine with my eggs and stuff in the morning.

There is no magic...not even the nectar of the gods that is coffee. Hard work, determination, and perseverance.
  • StacyReneO
    StacyReneO Posts: 317 Member
    Options

But that bulletproof stuff I have never understood on a lot of levels. Mainly - why do that to a perfectly good drink?

Well, since I am not a fan of coffee...I loved the bulletproof coffee. For me, it was my breakfast. It provided me with the healthy fat & calories of breakfast and filled me up for most of the day. I would have to remind myself by 2pm to eat lunch. I made mine with grass-fed unsalted butter and MCT oil. I think some people try to do it with regular old salted butter and it's pretty disgusting, but if your someone who likes to doctor up your coffee, it's definitely worth a try.
  • justicer68
    justicer68 Posts: 1,223
    Options
    I am getting a mouthful of flavor....I love my coffee...the smell of it and I will not give it up unless it is deemed medically necessary. I do however only drink 1-2 cups now and not a whole pot like I use to. :-) Also, coffee is virtually a calorie free food (1 cal for each 8 oz. cup) until you add other stuff to it. I do not add any other stimulates to my body it is my only vice.

I also found this interesting...

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/kristin-kirkpatrick-ms-rd-ld/coffee-health-benefits_b_2962490.html
  • mustgetmuscles1
    mustgetmuscles1 Posts: 3,346 Member
    Options
    Coffee is awesome juice. Drink it.
  • K_Serz
    K_Serz Posts: 1,299 Member
    Options
    I was at Starbucks yesterday. Ordered mine which contains copius amounts of espresso and caramel. I refer to it as legal heroin. Once it touches your lips and enters your bloodstream it just takes you to a different place.

tumblr_lyxi4ntnRE1r5few5o1_400.gif

I said to the Barista "I wonder what this country would do if they made coffee illegal" (comparing it to many other natural things grown on this Earth that are illegal; yes surprisingly, caffeine is a drug :noway: )
  • Kimberlymae41
    Options
    I drink coffee everyday not 3 or 4 pots a day but it doesnt stop my hunger, sounds to me like they are filling up on coffee and not eating, that is not a healty lifestyle for caffiene in take and lack of nutrition. i have lost 60 lbs doing it the hard way eating right and working out, good luck
  • syedsaad
    syedsaad Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    i dont drink coffe much ... but whenever i do it lessens my appitite .... so m thinking bout starting to drink it ... the only reason i dont drink it is i cant drink black and have to put creamer and sugar in it .... and thts calories wasted at something i dont even crave for
  • LaurenEileen74
    LaurenEileen74 Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    I need my coffee in the morning, but have heard that Green Tea is even better for the metab. so I made sure to have a cup of that in the afternoon :drinker:
  • taoistpunk
    taoistpunk Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    Coffee_Love.jpg.crop_display.jpg
  • JustJennie1
    JustJennie1 Posts: 3,843 Member
    Options
    I need my coffee in the morning, but have heard that Green Tea is even better for the metab. so I made sure to have a cup of that in the afternoon :drinker:

You would have to drink something like 12 cups of green tea to have it make even a minimal impact on your metabolism.

Not saying it isn't good for you. I love the stuff but if you're drinking it for that 'boost' one cup won't do it.