Father's Day backyard BBQ dilemma

Hi. I have been counting calories for 3+ months and it is going well, lost nearly 40# so far. However, today is Father's Day and I'm invited to a friend's backyard BBQ/grill party in 4 hours from now. I could easily have a couple cheeseburgers and hot dogs, maybe beer. I am already being tempted. And advice on splurging today vs keeping it in check? Eat what I want and restrict calories like crazy tomorrow??

Replies

• orangegato
    orangegato Posts: 6,570 Member
    Eat at maintenance... go back to your deficit tomorrow.

No big deal

Thanks for the good advice. Feel like I am overthinking it and getting stressed so thanks for this.
  • Lkav88
    Lkav88 Posts: 50 Member
    Personally I would go and enjoy myself, eat what I fancy but not over eat and have a few drinks and have fun.

Drink lots of water the next day and get back on the diet
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,907 Member
    Yeah, life happens. There will be many days like this in your life if you are lucky enough to have friends and family.

You can always forgo the bread and chips and load up on meat and vegetables. Or, just eat what you want and get back at it tomorrow. One day isn't going to make any difference at all. You may be "up" a pound or two tomorrow, but it will drop back off in couple days, so don't put much thought into it.
  • Suuzanne37
    Suuzanne37 Posts: 114 Member
    My strategy would be to eat light for other meals during the day; and for the Event allow myself a 1,000 calorie maximum.

Above all, enjoy the food and company✨
  • SafioraLinnea
    SafioraLinnea Posts: 628 Member
    edited June 2017
    One day will not destroy the world of weight loss. Calorie count everything you consume the best you can and carry on.

In the future, you can plan for these events in advance. If you know it's coming you can increase your deficit by 50-100 calories daily for a week leading up to it, then eat those extra calories completely guilt free. And you can even continue the 50-100 extra for a few days following the event if you really overeat. That's what I did surrounding Mother's Day and still lost my usual amount.
  • ladyhusker39
    ladyhusker39 Posts: 1,406 Member
    Judging by the fact that you've lost 40lbs in 3 months, I'd guessing you've been pretty strict on your calories. Since this clearly isn't a frequent thing, I would enjoy myself at the BBQ and eat what I wanted. And I would log every bite. But don't make it a too frequent habit :-)

A little tip, if you hold the cheese and mayo on the burgers you'll cut several hundred calories.
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,455 Member
    My general advice on things like this is to be sensible, prioritize the foods/drinks you really enjoy vs mindlessly eating things just because they are there, get in extra exercise that day and maybe bank calories for the days leading up to the event so you have some extra calories to play with. All that advice still stands however...

You've lost 40 lbs in 3 months? That's pretty quick, faster than 2 lbs/week. How much weight are you trying to lose? How many calories are you eating on a regular basis? The rapid rate of loss combined with your concerns about a special event where more food will be around than normal can be a sign that you're developing some unhealthy thoughts about the process. Family BBQ' are going to happen, so are work pot licks, birthday parties and holidays. Finding a way to enhoy those events without feeling like you are undoing your weight loss is very important.

Good luck, and enjoy the burger and beer! I'm going to one as well and will be having a brat, some ribs, beer and key lime pie! That's after blueberry lemon pancakes for breakfast and a long hike in between.
  • DresdenSinn
    DresdenSinn Posts: 665 Member
    Have a cheeseburger and hot dog but nix the buns and toss back a few Michelob Ultra's or Budweiser Select 55's and you'll be fine.
  • robertw486
    robertw486 Posts: 2,379 Member
    A single day will not make or break your weght loss. The hundreds of days surrounding those days will.

I logged a 7000+ calorie day when losing weight. I came in under maintenance for the week.
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    edited June 2017
    Really depends on who you are. Just like there are people for whom one beer is an inevitable spiral back into alcoholism, there are people for whom one cheeseburger turns into a multi-week binge. The important thing is to know yourself and your tendencies - take the path that works best for YOU.

If that means blowing off the party - just tell your friend what's going on, a genuine friend will understand. If it means splurging for a day, then back on the plan tomorrow - that's great, too.

There is no one right answer.
  • yoherbs421
    yoherbs421 Posts: 160 Member
    We had our bbq yesterday as well. I didn't eat anything before or after the bbq. I had 10oz steak rare with bullseye sauce , hamburger w/cheese, homemade potato and macaroni salad, baked beans, one beer and one cooler. By then I was satiated. Maybe even under 2160cals. Today I dont feel as if anything is different. Back on track with complete calorie counting now!
  • KaleChipz
    KaleChipz Posts: 53 Member
    I typically enjoy the day eating light before and after and revert to usual eating the next day increasing on water intake.

Some people eat a healthy meal just before and partake in a few essential items as they are already satiated.
  • acopeland321
    acopeland321 Posts: 23 Member
    Maybe not have a few cheeseburgers and hot dogs? That seems excessive. I would say just have a cheeseburger OR a hotdog and enjoy some of the sides too, within reason. Don't worry about going over today, it happens from time to time.
  • Muana1005
    Muana1005 Posts: 172 Member
    I would eat the meat without the bread, and load up on salad and low cal drinks.
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    @orangegato So how was the BBQ?
  • orangegato
    I got through the day.
    Adjusted my calorie allowance and set it for maintenance. I assumed that the menu was going to be burgers and hot dogs but it wasn't. It was steak. Was able to curb my portions and had 1 gin and tonic, plus dessert. zCould have been worse.
  • SingRunTing
    SingRunTing Posts: 2,604 Member
    WinoGelato wrote: »
    My general advice on things like this is to be sensible, prioritize the foods/drinks you really enjoy vs mindlessly eating things just because they are there, get in extra exercise that day and maybe bank calories for the days leading up to the event so you have some extra calories to play with. All that advice still stands however...

You've lost 40 lbs in 3 months? That's pretty quick, faster than 2 lbs/week. How much weight are you trying to lose? How many calories are you eating on a regular basis? The rapid rate of loss combined with your concerns about a special event where more food will be around than normal can be a sign that you're developing some unhealthy thoughts about the process. Family BBQ' are going to happen, so are work pot licks, birthday parties and holidays. Finding a way to enhoy those events without feeling like you are undoing your weight loss is very important.

Good luck, and enjoy the burger and beer! I'm going to one as well and will be having a brat, some ribs, beer and key lime pie! That's after blueberry lemon pancakes for breakfast and a long hike in between.

This!

Enjoy and eat, but only eat something if it actually appeals to you. You don't have to try everything.

Also, you don't have to make up for it later. Just pick up the next day and go back to your normal deficit.

(I know I'm a day late, but this applies anytime you attend a gathering with lots of food).

I also agree that you're probably losing too aggressively.
  • orangegato
    WinoGelato wrote: »

You've lost 40 lbs in 3 months? That's pretty quick, faster than 2 lbs/week. How much weight are you trying to lose? How many calories are you eating on a regular basis? The rapid rate of loss combined with your concerns about a special event where more food will be around than normal can be a sign that you're developing some unhealthy thoughts about the process.

I also agree that you're probably losing too aggressively.

It is more like 37# lost over 13 weeks. My goal weight loss is 93# or about 36% of my starting weight. The weight loss is slowing down now.