Healthy recipes please

Options
I'm starting my healthy journey again and running into an issue with healthy meals and snacks. I have healthy meals that I eat, but my fiancé and I are getting tired of eating them and are seeking new things to try. We have looked up healthy stuff online, but most of them have ended up tasting awful. It's also difficult to find good recipes because I'm allergic to nuts, shellfish, fish, cocoa, and cherries. Does anyone have any tasty recipes they don't mind sharing.

Replies

• kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    I don't use a lot of recipes, and when I do, I usually tweak them anyway. When you cook, you get to decide what to cook from. Anything you make from real food ingredients will be healthy, as long as it is balanced - food from different food groups - and not overcooked/burnt. A varied diet is best. Any combination of foods can be acceptable, what will be tasty for you, depends, well, on your taste and what you are used to. So I'd just suggest you learn how to cook without relying on recipes. You can eat everything that isn't nuts, shellfish, fish, cocoa, and cherries. That would include:
    All grains and starchy vegetables.
    All non-starchy vegetables.
    All meats from mammals and birds.
    Eggs.
    All dairy, including butter.
    All oils that aren't made from nuts.
    All pulses.
    All fruits and berries that aren't cherries.

I would make sure I was certain what "nuts" means - all nuts, including seeds, peanuts, which aren't nuts but legumes? What about strawberries?
  • Barbs2222
    Barbs2222 Posts: 433 Member
    edited June 2017
    Options
    I like to go to allrecipes.com because you use the search ingredients function and it will pull up recipes for you. So if you find things on sale you can buy it and figure out what to make with it. You can always look at recipes and try to make a yummy unhealthy one into something a bit healthier. Sorry I don't have a bunch of healthy recipes I just eat less of foods I like.
  • monicaamy902
    monicaamy902 Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    PaleOMG.com is a great site for paleo recipes. All of her dishes that I have tried are delish! And I never feel guilty eating paleo. Not sure what your healthy is, but you can't go wrong eating paleo. I eat a lot of cauliflower rice seasoned with garlic powder, onion powder, salt and pepper. Sometimes I will add mushrooms and onions to it. Brussels sprouts with avocado oil, salt and pepper baked at about 450 till the tops get brown and crispy (about 20 minutes). Turkey burgers with avocado on top. Baked chicken with garlic powder, onion powder, curry powder, salt and pepper. Chicken apple sausage and avocado is yummy. I love spaghetti squash used instead of noodles. That's pretty much everything I eat. Whole 30 recipes are really good too. Hope that helps and good luck!! :)
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    I imagine if you google "healthy recipes" you could end up with something awful. Likely short on fat and salt.

I'm going to suggest a way of eating instead of a bunch of random recipes.

1. Pick a vegetable or a protein whatever is fresh and on sale.
    2. Find a five star recipe for what you picked.
    3. Do cut the fat and cheese to about a quarter what is called for, but not completely.
    4. Input the recipe in MFP and weigh your portion.
    5. Was the recipe a success? Bookmark it.
    6. Serve with about a half cup starchy side which might be potato, rice, pasta, or bread.

Protein sources include, besides chicken, beef, turkey, eggs, pork loin, tofu.

Vegetable choices are virtually endless. Don't forget the root veggies like carrots, turnips, sweet potato, kohlrabi, and rutabaga.
  • HeidiCooksSupper
    HeidiCooksSupper Posts: 3,831 Member
    Options
    Healthy cooking needn't mean bland cooking. You can use just as many herbs, spices and flavoring ingredients as you want. Last night, for example, we had tuna steaks for supper -- which are better for us than hot dogs -- but I wrapped the tuna in basil leaves and cooked it "en papillotte" (french for wrapped in parchment paper -- foil would have worked, too). It was delicious.

The web is your friend for cooking. Just take any ingredient or pair of ingredients and search it with the word recipe. You'll be amazed at what you find. For example, one night I had a big beet and a sweet potato that needed using. I googled "beet sweet potato recipe" and found out lots of recipes for "beets'n'sweets" to try. Most of them were fairly healthy. If something started out calling for a stick of butter, I skipped it and read another. Beets'n'sweets are now a staple at our house.
  • junodog1
    junodog1 Posts: 4,792 Member
    Options
    I suggest you spend some time in these threads: http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/categories/recipes
  • WeAreTheMassacre
    WeAreTheMassacre Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    When I first started eating healthy, everything was "awful." It took me months to adjust to the taste and realize it WASN'T awful, it's just not as great as the fatty foods I was eating at nice restaurants, fast food joints, and friends houses. It was how food is supposed to tastes.
    I sprinkle Mrs Dash, permesan cheese, Franks Red Hot etc on everything and it seems to do the trick. With healthy seasonings like Mrs Dash you can go crazy and really get nice flavor; sometimes It just takes a lot.

I use Allrecipes.com or random YouTube videos with positive feedback. Honestly I'd just Google "healthy recipes " and follow the best reviews.
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,613 Member
    Options
    I made chicken fajitas tonight and think they are healthy. I cooked onions, peppers, and garlic in a little low sodium broth and a dash of liquid aminos or Worcestershire. Then I stir fried chicken breast in a little oil with chicken fajita seasoning. Mixed it all together and served with homemade pico and shredded cheese. Tortillas are optional, corn are lower cal than flour, or serve over salad. We would have had avocado, but no ripe ones at the store.

Many of my meals are just a panful of vegetables cooked in broth and with an added protein. Huge salad with chicken, ground beef, or hard boiled egg and light dressing or hot sauce.

Sometimes just different seasoning blends can make a big difference. My uncle made grilled chicken thighs and zucchini with herbs de Provence that were just wonderful. They served it with farro, but I might replicate it at home with some barley or quinoa.
  • HeidiCooksSupper
    HeidiCooksSupper Posts: 3,831 Member
    Options
    Here's tonight's healthy supper. A stuffed portobello next to a stuffed poblano and some brown rice. The stuffing was made with ground beef, cheese, and lots of veggies. The seasonings were Mrs. Dash citrus, garlic powder, onion powder and black pepper. It was yummy and filling. We eat about 1/2 our calories at supper.67hu6b9q84bh.jpg
  • Momepro
    Momepro Posts: 1,509 Member
    Options
    I like recipes that are easily adaptable and easy to make.
    Pesto Pasta
    Boil favorite pasta with a big spoonful of favorite pesto.
    Right before draining add mushrooms, a can of rinsed olives (I like black, sliced in half or quarters) maybe some marinated asparagus or artichoke.
    Drain
    Mix in about 8oz of favorite pesto.
    Serves about 6. Can serve more or less depending on how much you add.

Stuffed Mushrooms
    1 box Uncle Bens wild rice with seasoning
    Prepare according to directions. Add whatever sounds really good, Italian sausage, mushrooms, olives, artichoke hearts...
    Clean large shitake mushroom caps, scrape the gills unless you want black slimy juice ruining the presentation.
    Stuff with rice mixture. Top with a thin slice of mozzarella or provolone.
    Bake on 350, long enough to brown cheese.
    Serve
  • estherdragonbat
    estherdragonbat Posts: 5,283 Member
    Options
    I'm an ovo-lacto vegetarian with an open diary. If you see any recipes that sound interesting to you, ask and I'll share the details.