starvation mode

Options

Replies

• brandymorrow6100
    brandymorrow6100 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    This is what MFP says I eat in one day. I tried to add the photo but it would only let me add it as an attachment. This is a screenshot of my food.
  • brandymorrow6100
    Options
    I'll start weighing it and see if it makes a difference. I am hoping it will.
  • brandymorrow6100
    Options
    Maybe but I am have actually started increasing what I am eating lately, I was at about 500 calories per day if that. Of course I was exhausted all of the time but my doctor told me to eat more... I am going to start weighing it and see if that makes a difference.
  • jennyf55
    jennyf55 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I sorry for the negative comment but labeling your problem as "starvation mode" is just plain wrong. You first need to get honest with yourself before you ask for help. How can you call 1100 calories (if that is what it is) a state of starvation? You are obviously not starving. That was a very dishonest title to call our attention to. Take a reality check in your diet - really.
  • brandymorrow6100
    Options
    jennyf55 wrote: »
    I sorry for the negative comment but labeling your problem as "starvation mode" is just plain wrong. You first need to get honest with yourself before you ask for help. How can you call 1100 calories (if that is what it is) a state of starvation? You are obviously not starving. That was a very dishonest title to call our attention to. Take a reality check in your diet - really.

If you would read, you would see that I stated, I just started getting 1100 calories recently and was asking if this would get my body out of starvation mode because I was only eating a few hundred calories a day before that. There was no dishonesty about it so there is your reality check.
  • brandymorrow6100
    Options
    This is what MFP says I eat in one day. I tried to add the photo but it would only let me add it as an attachment. This is a screenshot of my food.

Check to see the brown rice calories on the box/packaging is it for prepared or precooked. How are you weighing it? Also are you actually putting 2 tablespoons of salad dressing or just pouring what you think is 2 ?

The coffee creamer, are you pouring or is it in a packaging? are you measuring out 4 tbsp?

Just a few mistakes on those three things could easily be a 500+ calorie difference

Check to see the brown rice calories on the box/packaging is it for prepared or precooked. How are you weighing it? Also are you actually putting 2 tablespoons of salad dressing or just pouring what you think is 2 ?

The coffee creamer, are you pouring or is it in a packaging? are you measuring out 4 tbsp?

Just a few mistakes on those three things could easily be a 500+ calorie difference

I will take a look at the brown rice. It is uncle bens, not the instant kind it takes like 20 minutes to make it in the rice cooker. I am also measuring out all of my liquids, oj, dressing and such as well as using measuring spoons for the cream and sugar. I am trusting my packaging for my fruit that there is one serving in it however, I now see how that could be the wrong thing to do. I am sure with the increase in calories it is going to take a bit of time for my body to get used to it. I am a bit confused that if starvation mode is a myth, have I just slowed my metabolism down really slow and is 1100 calories enough to get it back to normal?
  • alicejoanne321
    alicejoanne321 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I log my food every day. I have been doing so for months (if not on my diary then in an actual book). An example of the food I eat would be today: Breakfast- smoothie with one cup frozen fruit one cup of OJ, Lunch was a turkey bacon, lettuce, tomato sandwich with 2 tablespoons of avocado on 35 calorie fit and active whole wheat bread, I also had a cup of coffee with 4 tablespoons of creamer and 2 tablespoons of sugar. Dinner will be 1 salmon fillet, 1 cup of brown rice, 2 cups of spring salad with 2 tablespoons of italian dressing. Also, I am not looking to add muscle, I have plenty of muscle, but just wanting to lose about 20 pounds.

Just as a heads up, smoothies aren't healthy. They have 'good sugars' in but when you blend them to make a smoothie the heating changes the 'good sugars' into 'bad sugars'. I went for ages having smoothies for breakfast and wasn't loosing anything - now I have the sugariest store bought granola every morning but I weight my portions and its helping.

Also are you drinking enough water? I follow the 5:2 diet and on the 5 'normal' days I'll drink about 3 litres of water and eat about 1300/1400 calories then on the 2 'fast days' I eat 500/600 calories and still drink about 3 litres of water. I do however notice if I only think 1-2 litres of water in a day my weight is higher the next morning. Your body uses water for all processes including burning fat so if you're not drinking enough your body isn't working at its best. 1110 is quite a low calories amount and I'd recommend upping it a little just to keep your metabolism up and make sure you're getting enough exercise in a day - even if just the 10,000 steps. You're not going to lose weight sitting on your *kitten*.

You could easily add extra calories by not having 35 calories slices of bread - have a standard loaf thats about 90/100 cals. Also don't buy low fat anything. It's a myth and when they remove the 'bad fats' they also remove the 'good fats' that help you breakdown whats left of the bad fats. Since I started using full fat yogurts and cheeses and eating more on non-fasting days the weight has fallen off me
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    edited June 2017
    Options
    Mr_Knight wrote: »
    I have not been eating enough calories, not even close which has caused me to not lose weight.

Doesn't work that way. People who stay in starvation mode end up looking like they're actually starving. You're eating more than you think, relative to your daily burn - suggest opening your diary for review.

EDIT: Saw your sample day above. Punching that into the food tracker gives about 1800 calories - well above the 1100 you earlier posted you couldn't eat more than.

Actually, I have it in the tracker and it is 1158 so, I don't know how you are coming up with 1800, I would be thrilled if I could get 1800.

Your breakfast of 1 cup frozen fruit and 1 cup OJ is, on it's own, 400 calories. And that's assuming you actually used an actual measuring cup, which most people using volume measurements don't.

If you want meaningful help, you're going to have to open your diary.
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    If you would read, you would see that I stated, I just started getting 1100 calories recently and was asking if this would get my body out of starvation mode

You got your answer - there is no such thing as "starvation mode", as you are using the term.
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options
    jennyf55 wrote: »

If you would read, you would see that I stated, I just started getting 1100 calories recently and was asking if this would get my body out of starvation mode because I was only eating a few hundred calories a day before that. There was no dishonesty about it so there is your reality check.

Reading this should be very helpful for you: http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/fat-loss/another-look-at-metabolic-damage.html/