Can you lose weight on vacation?

Is it possible and how? Where do I get the will power? Tips?

Replies

• L1zardQueen
    L1zardQueen Posts: 8,754 Member
    Eat smaller meals, do lots of activities. Walking tours, rent bikes or hike.
  • Poisonedpawn78
    Poisonedpawn78 Posts: 1,145 Member
    How badly do you want to lose the weight?

When you reach your goal weight, What then?

Use the vacation to practice eating at maintenance or continue on your weight loss.
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,752 Member
    Why wouldn't it be possible?

I find I'm more active on holidays and spend most of my days walking around sightseeing. I am fussy about what I eat - i love food and try to save my indulgences for local delicacies. We generally stay somewhere self contained so we can prepare some of our own meals. I save calories by skipping breakfast
  • SafioraLinnea
    SafioraLinnea Posts: 628 Member
    Absolutely. Why wouldn't it work on vacation? My plan is to try to make healthy choices, be attentive to calories in food, log everything, be active for at least two hours a day, and let the deficit happen as it happens.
  • Sheisinlove109
    Sheisinlove109 Posts: 516 Member
    Are you a picky eater? Lol

My entire family gains and I almost always lose with the increased activity and picky about my eating. I'm not a fan of buffets and we like to cruise.

I'll be honest though, if we go places I love...like Europe....I eat and eat and enjoy life. The activity almost always levels it out but if I gain a few...no biggie. I'm going to enjoy my life and get back to it when I get back. I also work a little harder before I go.
  • wsandy8512
    wsandy8512 Posts: 1,897 Member
    Yes, you can lose while on vacation. I axed 3.2 pounds while in England. I ate only until almost satisfied because I knew we'd drinking and eating snacks in the evening and no calories were listed on menus so no tracking available. I was logging approximately 13-14k steps a day just being out and about and having fun. I got to enjoy local and ethnic foods, never felt like I was missing out anything, it was an amazing experience.

Moderation is key when traveling, so many things to do other than eat that will keep you active. :-)
  • Ironandwine69
    Ironandwine69 Posts: 2,432 Member
    Anything is possible.
    I myself treat vacations as a break from everything though including diet and exercise. Even though I end up gaining, it's an excellent break for me and I am way more recharged and focused when I come back.
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Of course it's possible, but not with willpower (lol). You just don't overeat. When your mind and body is occupied with anything besides eating all the time, any "reason" you have for overeating is gone. The amazing thing is that you can take that mindset home with you.

<- Maintaining 50 pounds loss 2 1/2 years in, and counting.
  • animatorswearbras
    animatorswearbras Posts: 1,001 Member
    It's possible but I don't if it's a week or less, I just aim to up my activity (walking, cycling, swimming etc) and eat at maintenance and give myself a "diet" break. I've just come back from a week in France though and put on 1 and a half pounds, was totally worth it ;) (there is too much cheese, wine and pastry to explore) it'll be off again in a fortnight.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    It is possible. I would never aim to lose weight while vacationing though. I think that aiming to maintain or to at least return to your starting point (meaning your weight the day you left) within a week of getting back is a good goal for many. We went away a couple of weeks ago, Wed through Sunday. During that time I walked a ton and pretty much ate what I wanted for three of those days. When I got back I was the exact same weight I was when I left. My vacations are so much more active than my daily life that I don't really stress over the calorie thing.
  • joeyzuraski
    joeyzuraski Posts: 47 Member
    Just remember on vacations, holidays, and weekends to monitor your burns and record your intakes. Most outings have a calorie menu on MFP. But also remember some rules like avoiding temptations on empty calories. Most vacation spots serve nasty food to avoid temptations like Cotton Candy and pretzels that serve 4 people.
  • ceiswyn
    ceiswyn Posts: 2,253 Member
    I lost weight last time I was on holiday.

I just kept my eating and exercise habits. Stayed within my calories (guessing a little when I ate out, but I tend to overestimate rather than underestimate), went out and did plenty of walking, even found a local gym and went a couple of times in the mornings before everyone else got up.

This is my lifestyle now; I'm not going to take a holiday from it!
  • inertiastrength
    inertiastrength Posts: 2,343 Member
    Well we all COULD, but personally I would not haha
  • L1zardQueen
    L1zardQueen Posts: 8,754 Member
    Just remember on vacations, holidays, and weekends to monitor your burns and record your intakes. Most outings have a calorie menu on MFP. But also remember some rules like avoiding temptations on empty calories. Most vacation spots serve nasty food to avoid temptations like Cotton Candy and pretzels that serve 4 people.

Contrary to what you believe, cotton candy and pretzels are not nasty. For one, cotton candy is not that high in calories and pretzels are amazing and topped with mustard!?!? Huzzah!
  • erienneb66
    erienneb66 Posts: 88 Member
    I find I always lose weight on vacation because my vacations usually involve hiking, walking everywhere as we do not have transportation, eating less because I don't want to pay for it, etc. I think that's just indicative of what kinds of vacations my husband and I take: Singapore, all the National Parks, etc.
  • fitmom4lifemfp
    fitmom4lifemfp Posts: 1,575 Member
    Is it possible and how? Where do I get the will power? Tips?

Of course you can. But willpower has to come from you.
  • DX2JX2
    DX2JX2 Posts: 1,921 Member
    I find it helps to pre-strategize how to spend my daily calories on vacation just like you would at home. Make room for the things you want to splurge on by making conscious good choices the rest of the time.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Of course you can if you want.
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Of course you could. Why would being on vacation be any different than anywhere else? A calorie deficit is a calorie deficit no matter where your location is.