Goal Setting

Options

I am horrible at setting goals and following through. Not just with weight loss, but with all things. Bottomline is that I really suck at discipline. Before two weeks ago, I was virtually living life like a sloth, rarely moving and sleeping excessive hours each day, while doing nothing much to control my eating. Part of the sleepiness is due in part from medication I take. I'm now going on two weeks of stopping all prescription meds. Both my blood sugar and blood pressure are holding so far at high normal. The ones I'll most likely need to start back are asthma and thyroid medications. But the two which most likely cause the sleepiness are a depression medication and a fibromyalgia medicine. I'm seeing little difference in my pain and so far remain upbeat with these changes, so I hope to remain off both of these. My husband loves an occasional piece of fried bologna for breakfast and had bought some. I ate nearly every bit of that bologna in after midnight snacks of a slice of bologna, 2 slices of white bread slathered with mayonnaise each night until it was gone! A recent doctor's visit, along with some astounding success of my son in a weight loss endeavor, lead me to climb back on this wagon of trying to reduce so I might live to see my grandchildren grow up. Our daughter, the mother of those children, had been goading me to strap back on my Fitbit. I've now been wearing it for the past 3ish weeks. Starting out, I was so deconditioned it winded me to walk from one end of my house to the other. This doesn't speak to the size of the house, a modest three bedroom, but rather the fact that I was on the verge of becoming immobile. The American Heart Association recommends a person to take at least 10,000 steps per day to promote heart health. The first week I was challenged to make 500! In fact, for the past perhaps six months, I've used a electric cart when shopping as I simply can not stand long enough to get around the grocery. This week I tried to push my goal to 2,500 per day at least 3 days. Starting off I was still only getting near 2,000 on my best days, but something clicked yesterday and I went over 3,000. At 64 years, I am too enwisened to believe that I will ever be able to be able to practice consistent discipline. But, the knowledge is in place, I am practicing good food choices and making plans for my day in advance. Hopefully, I'll be able to complete over 2,500 steps for two more days this week and advance next week to 3,000. Certainly a long way from 10,000, but many more than I could do 3 weeks ago.