SOS Help in going off Diet Coke! :)

Options
Hi Everyone, I need HELP!!! I have been doing great and losing weight and feel awesome, but I have one last hurdle to jump, I'm addicted to Diet Coke, we're talking 8-10 cans a day addicted. I've lost 84 pounds so far and have been stuck at 156 for weeks even though I'm now training for a half marathon and running like crazy. I have a pretty good feeling that my diet coke consumption has something to do with it!! Does anyone have any tips for going off of this kind of addiction? Thanks!!

Replies

• blondageh
    blondageh Posts: 923 Member
    Options
    I hear you! I used to drink at least 6 a day, sometimes more if I was dieting. I am now down to 3 a day. I can't imagine giving it up. But when I cut back, I seemed to not miss it so much. Like I said in another thread just now, I won't let myself have a diet coke until I drink 20oz of water and then I cannot have another one until after 40oz. etc. I notice once I am full of water, that diet coke isn't so appetizing anymore.
  • aymetcalf
    aymetcalf Posts: 597 Member
    Options
    I know how you feel. I have worked my way down to 2-3/day. It's terrible but I used to drink double that. I just suggest forcing yourself to drink water before you drink the soda, then you will drink less. Good Luck! :flowerforyou:
  • kiffypooh
    kiffypooh Posts: 1,045 Member
    Options
    I just wanted to be in a post with two people with amazing weight loss, maybe it will rub off on me :laugh:

Just kidding. I too am a diet coke addict and I have no answer, just letting you know I understand. I plan to stop drinking it (again, 3rd time this year) after August. I love my diet coke. I will say, for the month I quite at the beginning of the year, I didn't see any more weight loss but I did have less cravings for sweets.
  • leakejb
    leakejb Posts: 8
    Options
    My husband and I are addicts too...Drinking too much dark liquids is bad for you in general and aspertame (depending on what you believe) but my opinion is that diet coke has no impact either way (gaining or losing) on your weight...
  • simona1972
    simona1972 Posts: 355 Member
    Options
    I used to go through a case a day [12 cans], and about 4 Ventis a day and just gave them up cold turkey. When I was ready to start getting serious about my health, it didnt seem important anymore. I just made the switch to water. I'll have soda now on rare occassions but it never tastes as good as I remember it and it always feels like its burning my throat now.
  • drohde12
    drohde12 Posts: 22
    Options
    I am also trying to wean myself off Diet Coke. I was drinking 3-4 cans a day and realized that I just couldn't afford to do that anymore. My plan is to allow myself 1 can a day first thing in the morning. I can't imagine facing life without my morning Diet Coke. After that I am drinking homemade iced tea. So much cheaper and way less chemicals. I still get the caffeine I like but without all the bad stuff. I've been on this plan for about a week and its not going too bad. Good luck!
  • jbwegner
    jbwegner Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    I don't know that I have any great advice, but I totally relate to your problem. I gave up soda (and all fake suagrs/artificial stuff) a month ago, cold turkey. Reading Jillian Michael's book Mastering Your Metabolism freaked me out and scared me off that stuff. You might try reading it? I just replaced it with good ol' fashioned water, and cravings are gone! Good luck and congrats on your awesome loss! I wanna be like you! :flowerforyou:
  • LotusF1ower
    LotusF1ower Posts: 1,259 Member
    Options
    Hi Everyone, I need HELP!!! I have been doing great and losing weight and feel awesome, but I have one last hurdle to jump, I'm addicted to Diet Coke, we're talking 8-10 cans a day addicted. I've lost 84 pounds so far and have been stuck at 156 for weeks even though I'm now training for a half marathon and running like crazy. I have a pretty good feeling that my diet coke consumption has something to do with it!! Does anyone have any tips for going off of this kind of addiction? Thanks!!

::::::whispers:::::::: diet coke is yummy :::::::goes back to normal voice:::::::

However, it rots your teeth, not straight away, but over time you may find your gnashers cracking or needing lots of fillings. It's also gassy and bloats you up.

I often drink that when I go out at weekends, I used to drink it all the time though, infact I used to pour a pint of it into a glass, leave it all day beside my bed and when I went to bed would drink it FLAT, throughout the night :laugh:

Addictions are awful, but a lot of the time they are not true addictions but habits and habits can always be broken, I believe your running will improve no end if you use your willpower to cease drinking the stuff, you'll need to pull at all your resources if you consider your running more important than the diet coke, best of luck xxx
  • peggy1952
    peggy1952 Posts: 46
    Options
    Congratulations on the great losses.
    wow after looking at all the successes you girls have had, I just might become a diet coke fan too!!! LOL

I don't care much for water but I like to add about 2 oz. of promagrate juice to a tall glass of water and it makes it so much better.
    Plus I think the juice is good for you.
  • bikinimission
    Options
    I used to have this addiction too, I kept bout a dozen cans in the fridge at all times and got through about 6-8 a day, then when I added up the cost and thought about what I was doing to my body I decided I had to make a change. I decided that I would be allowed to drink it in a restaurant or bar but I was no longer going to keep any in the house. I bought a big filter jug to keep cold water in the fridge and also keep the freezer stocked with ice cubes. When I want a drink I make a big pint of iced water and drink it through a straw, I love that now and drink tons of water as a result, I don't even miss diet coke at home at all any more! I do still enjoy it with a meal when I'm out though...
    ...now how do I have the same success with my chocolate addiction?!
  • justahorsen
    justahorsen Posts: 234
    Options
    I, too, went cold turkey off Diet Coke.....as I read more and more stories about aspertame and the harmful effects, it quite frankly, scared the crap out of me.....so I drink LOTS of ice water, green tea, and drinks with no aspertame.. They are not easy to find but if you read the labels they are out there. I do occasionally have a Diet Coke but it tastes NASTY......(or so I have convinced myself!!LOL)