61lbs in 87 days

Options

Replies

• canteyn
    canteyn Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    cjv73 wrote: »
    Congrats, well done! Just one word of caution, please do watch that you don't overdo it with the water consumption. Both my mother and a friend had problems with electrolyte imbalance because they drank too much water. Not sure how much is too much, but 150oz just sounds like an awful lot to me...

Yeah, that was my worry too. I'm watching my intake closely with my doctors to make sure that nothing is being overdone. I appreciate you taking the time to read my story!
  • canteyn
    Options
    Thanks so much for sharing your story - you're commitment is an inspiration. And it sounds like you have an amazing doctor that not only offered you choices but is being an incredible support!

I'm glad I could inspire some people, thank you! My doctor is fantastic. He listens rather than talk, and that is the single most important thing in my opinion.
  • canteyn
    Options
    Allencain9 wrote: »
    Put me on your friend list! I'd love to see how you progress. I felt pride after reading your story and it has motivated me to get started again. Thank you.

Thanks for taking the time to read my story, Allencain9. I'll gladly add you so you can keep up to date.
  • canteyn
    Options
    You are truly amazing! Carbs are the devil

Thanks, and carbs are the devil! It's a shame that most carbs are so delicious, lol.
  • The_Movie_Chair
    The_Movie_Chair Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    I needed to read this today. I am on it since 150 days and, just like you, I am still too heavy to work out as well. I wish you good luck on your journey.
  • uvamomx2
    uvamomx2 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Do you mind to share what your daily meals are? I am struggling to keep my carbs at 20 without living on meat, cheese and eggs. Are you eating any fruits or vegetables?
  • _alondra_m
    _alondra_m Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    You are very inspiring! Thank you for sharing. This is truly motivating. :smile:
  • msvickianne1699
    msvickianne1699 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Wow!!! That is awesome! Can I ask how you keep your carbs so low? Mine aren't over the top but I still struggle to keep it below 40 or so. Would love to hear tips on high protein low carbs without eating cheese and eggs all day. :)
  • canteyn
    Options
    I needed to read this today. I am on it since 150 days and, just like you, I am still too heavy to work out as well. I wish you good luck on your journey.

I'm glad it was here for you to read! Keep on keeping on! It may take us a while but we will get where we want to go!
  • canteyn
    Options
    uvamomx2 wrote: »
    Do you mind to share what your daily meals are? I am struggling to keep my carbs at 20 without living on meat, cheese and eggs. Are you eating any fruits or vegetables?

That's essentially what I'm eating. Meat, cheese, and eggs. I also eat salads for lunch which usually consist of cheese, bacon bits, and a couple of slices of a carb free deli meat. I choose a dressing like the Wishbone Garlic Parmesan vinaigrette (I do one table spoon and toss it thoroughly). For dinner I'll eat a very lean red meat, shrimp, or a white fish. If I don't do a salad I'll usually do brusselsprouts, asparagus, and sometimes 3/4 cup of broccoli as a veggie.
  • canteyn
    Options
    _alondra_m wrote: »
    You are very inspiring! Thank you for sharing. This is truly motivating. :smile:

Hey _alondra_m, I'm glad that I could share my story. Also, I'm glad I was able to inspire you a bit!
  • canteyn
    Options
    Wow!!! That is awesome! Can I ask how you keep your carbs so low? Mine aren't over the top but I still struggle to keep it below 40 or so. Would love to hear tips on high protein low carbs without eating cheese and eggs all day. :)

It is difficult for sure! I usually do eggs and bacon in the morning. A salad for lunch with cheese, bacon bits, a deli meat, and a dressing that has 2TBSP servings with 1-2 carbs per that I cut in half and just use 1 TBSP. Lunch usually averages about 3-4 total carbs. Dinner will consist of a lean red meat, shrimp, or white fish with a salad or a green veggie with 1-2 carbs. Dinner usually averages 4-7 carbs. For snacks/desserts my secret weapon is sugar free jello (10 calories, 0 carbs, 1 protein), also paper thin deli sliced pepperoni.

Best of luck on your fitness journey!
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    Options
    since you are male you should not eat less than 1500 calories. 1200 is for women who are sedentary.very short.elderly or a combo of the 3. why are you eating so little carbs? I just ask because Im curious. I know people do keto but ketoers usually have 50 net grams or less of carbs(many do 25 or less too).
  • canteyn
    Options
    since you are male you should not eat less than 1500 calories. 1200 is for women who are sedentary.very short.elderly or a combo of the 3. why are you eating so little carbs? I just ask because Im curious. I know people do keto but ketoers usually have 50 net grams or less of carbs(many do 25 or less too).

Well, my doctor and nutritionist have recommended the 1200-1500 calories. I had the same question for them from the research I've done, and they said between your blood tests and the nutritionist monitoring my nutrients intake they said as long as I feel full then I should be fine. If I was to add exercise or more than minimal activity day, then I'll need to eat more to provide energy to go with the increased activity.

Each individual body reacts differently to certain changes in diet and nutrients. In order to enter kerosine required a drastic cut in carbs, and they recommended the lower amount of carbs intake the better. I ran by them what I had in mind and they approved. Plus, as it's been noted in several studies that a prolonged "induction phase" of the low carb diet can be used as long as ketone levels stay manageable and don't elevate to high. Keeping I. The induction phase will have the ability to maximize weight lose for the obese and morbidly obese. They also said as long they feel like my blood tests remain in good standings then they don't want me to risk leaving ketosis. They've noted that an intake of 20+ carbs in one meal has the chance to break ketosis, and therefore we're keeping in below the risk level.

It's all boiling to down to as long as my tests remain to show healthy levels. If they change I change, regardless. If I can maximize the weight loss to a more manageable level where I can workout without an increased risk of injury due to my weight, the better.
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    Options
    canteyn wrote: »

Well, my doctor and nutritionist have recommended the 1200-1500 calories. I had the same question for them from the research I've done, and they said between your blood tests and the nutritionist monitoring my nutrients intake they said as long as I feel full then I should be fine. If I was to add exercise or more than minimal activity day, then I'll need to eat more to provide energy to go with the increased activity.

Each individual body reacts differently to certain changes in diet and nutrients. In order to enter kerosine required a drastic cut in carbs, and they recommended the lower amount of carbs intake the better. I ran by them what I had in mind and they approved. Plus, as it's been noted in several studies that a prolonged "induction phase" of the low carb diet can be used as long as ketone levels stay manageable and don't elevate to high. Keeping I. The induction phase will have the ability to maximize weight lose for the obese and morbidly obese. They also said as long they feel like my blood tests remain in good standings then they don't want me to risk leaving ketosis. They've noted that an intake of 20+ carbs in one meal has the chance to break ketosis, and therefore we're keeping in below the risk level.

It's all boiling to down to as long as my tests remain to show healthy levels. If they change I change, regardless. If I can maximize the weight loss to a more manageable level where I can workout without an increased risk of injury due to my weight, the better.

no the only way to break out of ketosis is eating enough carbs to knock you out of keto.for some that will be more than 50g for others it may be higher or lower. but 20+ in one meal should not kick you out of ketosis. as for weight loss all that is also needed is a caloric deficit,unless you have type 2 diabetes or insulin resistance in which you need to keep carbs on the low side then definitely stay with keto.
  • canteyn
    Options
    canteyn wrote: »

no the only way to break out of ketosis is eating enough carbs to knock you out of keto.for some that will be more than 50g for others it may be higher or lower. but 20+ in one meal should not kick you out of ketosis. as for weight loss all that is also needed is a caloric deficit,unless you have type 2 diabetes or insulin resistance in which you need to keep carbs on the low side then definitely stay with keto.

Well considering 20+ is less than 50g and the studies they had me read to learn about it said similar things then I'm inclined to lean towards the side of caution. I've seen studies, and articles that list up to 70 carbs before too. As I said each body is different, and my blood tests are calling the shots as my doctors have said.

As I reach my target weight the we will gradually increase the carb and calorie intake to "ease into" my target weight.

I appreciate the questions and opinions, but as I've already been on my diet for over 3 months with successful results and healthy levels from my tests; I'll be sticking with the doctors orders.
  • smkondy
    smkondy Posts: 583 Member
    Options
    That's amazing success-congratulations!!
  • canteyn
    Options
    smkondy wrote: »
    That's amazing success-congratulations!!

Thanks so much! I appreciate that.
  • Phonicblue
    Phonicblue Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Looking for more keto friends, feel free to add me. I am 1 week in and keep an open diary.
  • canteyn
    Options
    Phonicblue wrote: »
    Looking for more keto friends, feel free to add me. I am 1 week in and keep an open diary.

Good luck on your fitness journey!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!