Eating my exercise logged calories?

Options
Should I be eating my exercise calories? Several others have told me that's the way that the app works.

Replies

• brn_deveney
    brn_deveney Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    All my macros go up so does that give me a chance to eat more to achieve my goal so I don't plateau
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    Yes. If your calorie goal is coming from MFP, it's based on the assumption that you will be eating back your exercise calories.
  • leanitup123
    leanitup123 Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    General rule of thumb is to eat back ~60-70% of your exercise calories back. If I burn 1,000 calories from running I'll eat back 600 or so.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    crazyravr wrote: »
    Yes. If your calorie goal is coming from MFP, it's based on the assumption that you will be eating back your exercise calories.

No. East some but not all.
    What you burn is VERY much an estimate, and VERY rough at that.

Even if one chooses to eat back only a portion to account for potential over-estimation, it's still true that MFP is *designed* for one to eat back calories burnt through exercise. Different users may work around potential inaccuracies in different ways, but that doesn't change how the tool was designed.
  • markswife1992
    markswife1992 Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    i always eat all of mine back. i lost 60 lbs a few years ago (before i got pregnant this last time) and i always ate all my exercise calories back and it worked very well for me. i think to each his own. :smile:
  • cangler
    cangler Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    i never do, just not sure how much i burn accurately so i don't worry about it. i just adjust my calories budget as needed depending if im trying to maintain/cut/gain. guess you could if you can get an accurate estimate burned, etc.
  • Elynn83
    Elynn83 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I will eat up to what I burned, but if I am not hungry and below then I am ok with that also.
  • candoit05
    candoit05 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I only eat back a portion of my calories burned.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,865 Member
    Options
    If exercise activity is not accounted for in your activity level that is used to determine your calorie target, I think common sense would dictate that it be accounted for somewhere...which is why MFP gives you additional calories after logging exercise...it's accounting for otherwise unaccounted for activity.