Can you go from big stomach/love handles to flat stomach/6 pack?

Options
I have lost 25 lbs and im working on losing another 25 lbs. A friend of mine insists that the stomach once its big cannot be flat or have a six pack ever no matter what you do, unless there is surgery involved. Although it is not my goal (yes I want to reduce my fat in that area) is that true? I am currently 152 lbs and 5'2 and 37 years old. At my lowest weight I was 140 and had a good sized love handle there lol

Replies

• Chef_Barbell
    Chef_Barbell Posts: 6,644 Member
    Options
    Yes.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Yes.

Agreed.
  • Sunna_W
    Sunna_W Posts: 744 Member
    Options
    I think it depends on your own physiology and how stretchy your skin is and if you have had kids. There are plenty of women out there who have done a lot of body work (here on MFP) that didn't include surgery that look pretty great. Maybe pose your question a different way to see if they will respond.

Here is an article that explains:

https://www.muscleforlife.com/how-to-get-rid-of-loose-skin-after-weight-loss/
  • brendacs21
    brendacs21 Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    Sunna_W wrote: »
    I think it depends on your own physiology and how stretchy your skin is and if you have had kids. There are plenty of women out there who have done a lot of body work (here on MFP) that didn't include surgery that look pretty great. Maybe pose your question a different way to see if they will respond.

Here is an article that explains:

https://www.muscleforlife.com/how-to-get-rid-of-loose-skin-after-weight-loss/

thank you for this article! it explained a lot!
  • Geocitiesuser
    Geocitiesuser Posts: 1,429 Member
    Options
    I've always had big love handles, always. Now that I'm a healthy weight they are completely gone and the only thing that remains is a small bit of loose wrinkled skin that is hardly noticeable. Next up will be abs. So yes, totally possible.
  • MileHighFitness
    MileHighFitness Posts: 2,298 Member
    Options
    Well.. I sure as hell hope so..
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    edited June 2017
    Options
    I did it in my 40's after having several evasive surgeries through my abdominals one leaving a 10-12" scar.

Hard to say without knowing your LBM but I'd hazard you might have to be in 105-110 range to have a ripped look at your height.
  • sgt1372
    sgt1372 Posts: 3,987 Member
    edited June 2017
    Options
    brendacs21 wrote: »
    A friend of mine insists that the stomach once its big cannot be flat or have a six pack ever no matter what you do, unless there is surgery involved. Although it is not my goal (yes I want to reduce my fat in that area) is that true?

No, it's not true.

A year ago I was 65, 196# w/a 38" waist at +20%BF (probably +25 but didn't measure it at the time) w/a pot belly and obviously no visible abs.

I`m 66 now, 157# w/a 33" waist at 10%BF (measured hydrostatically) w/a flat belly and defined 6 pack along w/a lot of other muscle development and definition.

Achieved this by means of a controlled low cal & high protein diet together w/a progressive lifting program and coordinated cardio, calesthenics and crossfit exercises.