2»

Replies

• markswife1992
    markswife1992 Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    wizzybeth wrote: »
    MizzzFit wrote: »
    mkirklions wrote: »
    Does the human body require fiber to absorb vitamins?

Why are they so demonized by the internet?

Nope the body does not need fiber to absorb vitamins. If your digestion and intestinal systems are functioning optimally you should be able to absorb your supplements. Also if you are taking fat soluble vitamins - A, D, E & K, it is good to take with either an omega or fat (nuts, avo, etc.) to help with absorption.

also, taking a supplement of fiber with vitamins (at the same time) prevents absorption. (such as benefiber or metamucil)

Interesting then that the Fiber Well Fit gummy fiber supplements also have B vitamins with them. Hm.

you probably won't digest much of a vitamin B in a gummy form anyway. it needs to be bioavailable or methylated.
  • markswife1992
    markswife1992 Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    "Ritual"! I had stopped taking any vitamins pretty long ago when I started eating Organic and avoiding cheap ingredients and such (so about 12 years ago) other than some Vitamin C gummies mostly because I like them. And standard multis always made me feel bad/weird/sick.

But I've started taking "Ritual" because I like the idea of 9 ingredients essential to women and nothing else. I also like detailed explanations of where each ingredient is derived. They're expensive ($30 for one month), but I love them.

i will have to look for that brand, thank you.
    i agree on where the ingredients are derived. MOST of the vitamins you find in a grocery or drug store are not even absorbed for the most part. you have to do alot of research on the types of stabilizing salts that are used, as well as the form.
    example: vitamin D from cholecalciferol is a better more available form of D than from fish oils
    vitamin E that is d-tocopherol is better than dl-tocopherol.
    the list goes on...........
  • DaddyDunk91
    DaddyDunk91 Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    At the moment, I take magnesium, l arginine and beta alanine. Having a 21 month old, don't always have time to prepare meals..
  • WendyLeigh1119
    WendyLeigh1119 Posts: 495 Member
    Options
    "Ritual"! I had stopped taking any vitamins pretty long ago when I started eating Organic and avoiding cheap ingredients and such (so about 12 years ago) other than some Vitamin C gummies mostly because I like them. And standard multis always made me feel bad/weird/sick.

But I've started taking "Ritual" because I like the idea of 9 ingredients essential to women and nothing else. I also like detailed explanations of where each ingredient is derived. They're expensive ($30 for one month), but I love them.

i will have to look for that brand, thank you.
    i agree on where the ingredients are derived. MOST of the vitamins you find in a grocery or drug store are not even absorbed for the most part. you have to do alot of research on the types of stabilizing salts that are used, as well as the form.
    example: vitamin D from cholecalciferol is a better more available form of D than from fish oils
    vitamin E that is d-tocopherol is better than dl-tocopherol.
    the list goes on...........

YES, yes, and YES! Then you'll love Ritual. They explain exactly what types, where they get them, how they're absorbed, why only 9 ingredients, etc. You can only buy them online, so just Google their brand and you can read it all on their website. It's really fascinating. They have a Facebook page with Q & A as well if you prefer that venue.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    edited June 2017
    Options
    JerSchmare wrote: »
    MizzzFit wrote: »
    I was wanting to start taking a multi vitamin for the days I do not eat well i still get some vitamins in me. I was wondering who takes them and what brand/brands would you recommend.

Maybe even other vitamin or supplements you take daily.

Thanks

I would suggest hitting up a Health store near you and speaking to the ppl who work there. You can get better quality products but still don't have to break the bank. - Also the ppl working in those types of stores are usually nutritionists who are very knowledgeable in supplements.

Good luck :)

That is exactly 100% opposite of my understanding, and experience. They are sales people with little, to no, understanding of nutrition or health. They are there to sell.

Maybe this is true for some stores, but the health food shop i go to, each and every employee has some sort of nutritional diploma. The reason i know is because i inquired about getting a job there, but i would have had to go back to uni or do this stupidly long and expensive course to even get a look in.