Heel Pain from Running

AliNouveau
AliNouveau Posts: 36,287 Member
Every spring I decide to do outdoor workouts and to work up to doing 5k in less than 30 minutes.

The past couple of weeks my heel has been sore yet I have still run because I'm a bit of an idiot.

Anyone have any experience with heel pain from running?

To answer the usual questions...
I just changed my shoes because my others were hurting my feet
It's not pain under the heel it feels like it's on the sides and radiates from my achilles.
I haven't been to the dr. because I'm enjoying the running (well I hate it but I like what it's doing for my body) and I'm sure she'd tell me to take a break and I'm so close to my goal I'm not ready for a break.

I guess I need to see the dr. right?

Replies

• T0M_K
    T0M_K Posts: 7,526 Member
    Ali Ali Ali. <3 you noob...5 posts???? :) well you need to see the doc. of course. :) running on it while in pain with no idea of what the issue is could put you out for a long time.

you changed shoes...did you buy the right ones? stilettos aren't for running!! :) actually, have you been fitted at a running store? maybe your new shoes aren't right for your foot.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Rest it... if a weeks rest doesn't fix it, see a physio. Could be the shoes if they're new, could be over use, could be muscle imbalance...
  • ManBehindTheMask
    ManBehindTheMask Posts: 615 Member
    edited June 2017
    I'd suggest you head to a running store, where they will do some form of gait analysis, essentially looking at the motion of your feet while you run, then suggesting appropriate footwear based on this analysis

Edit: also, a visit to the doc may be in order for the pain you're currently experiencing

• Treece68
    Treece68 Posts: 780 Member
    Plantar fasciitis
  • MobyCarp
    MobyCarp Posts: 2,927 Member
    @AliNouveau - I haven't experienced the particular pain you describe, but I've experienced a variety of unexpected pains from running. The usual strategy for success with something in the vicinity you describe is, 1) see my podiatrist and get his opinion on what it is, and 2) follow his advice, which may include 3) see my physical therapist and follow her advice.

My podiatrist is not a runner, but he treats a lot of runners and gets the concept that I'm not going to stop running. My physical therapist is not a runner, but she is a distance swimmer. She gets the concept that endurance athletes only have 2 modes of dealing with injury: denial and hypochondria. Hypochondria tends to be more helpful to recovery than denial.

Self-help cures include: Run less, run easier, take more rest days, take ibuprofen or naproxen, ice baths and/or hot soaks. For minor aches, these are sufficient. For pains that last longer term, it becomes something to take to the medical professionals and expand my knowledge of anatomy. I may need to see a medical professional to know whether ice, hot soaks, or neither is appropriate.

The most under-rated benefit of seeing the medical professional is that I learn what I need to do to reduce the chance of the same type of injury recurring. Since I'd like to keep running for the rest of my life, this is important.
  • PPumpItUp
    PPumpItUp Posts: 208 Member
    Agreed, its likely plantar fasciitis or some other type of inflammation. Ice, elevate, and rest. Hopefully its not a fracture.
  • AliNouveau
    Tomk652015 wrote: »
    Ali Ali Ali. <3 you noob...5 posts???? :) well you need to see the doc. of course. :) running on it while in pain with no idea of what the issue is could put you out for a long time.

you changed shoes...did you buy the right ones? stilettos aren't for running!! :) actually, have you been fitted at a running store? maybe your new shoes aren't right for your foot.

haha @Tomk652015 perhaps the heels I wore on Saturday didn't help or the skating I did Thursday evening and Friday morning. My shoes are a pretty colour and I know I have to see a doctor but I know that she'll say to stay off it and wear sensible shoes.
  • AliNouveau
    I'd suggest you head to a running store, where they will do some form of gait analysis, essentially looking at the motion of your feet while you run, then suggesting appropriate footwear based on this analysis

Edit: also, a visit to the doc may be in order for the pain you're currently experiencing

Thanks @ManBehindTheMask I was fitted years ago and they fit me in shoes I told them wouldn't work, Nikes always hurt my feet and that's what they told me I needed...I ended up hobbling home and retuning the blood stained shoes. So I'm just skeptical but I guess maybe I just got the really bad fitter person that day
  • AliNouveau
    thanks everyone for the responses. I guess I need to see the dr and maybe get a physio referral. Not like I don't have several issues I should be seeing a physiotherapist for actually. I'm just so close to my goal I don't want to have to stop now
  • Momepro
    Momepro Posts: 1,509 Member
    Definitely see a Dr. If it is Planar Fascitis you could seriously damage yourself running on it while it is still sore. If there are any tears or weak soots you could easily end up walking across a parking lot and feeling a damn tendon snap. Which wil screw you up for months and possibly require surgery, IF the damn workers comp will get their *kitten* together and stop messing around. And you didn't even want to deal with workers comp but the stupid urgent care refused service until you did because you were on company property!
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    AliNouveau wrote: »
    thanks everyone for the responses. I guess I need to see the dr and maybe get a physio referral. Not like I don't have several issues I should be seeing a physiotherapist for actually. I'm just so close to my goal I don't want to have to stop now

Surely it's better to stop now for a short time than do permanent damage?
  • AliNouveau
    grmrsan wrote: »
    Definitely see a Dr. If it is Planar Fascitis you could seriously damage yourself running on it while it is still sore. If there are any tears or weak soots you could easily end up walking across a parking lot and feeling a damn tendon snap. Which wil screw you up for months and possibly require surgery, IF the damn workers comp will get their *kitten* together and stop messing around. And you didn't even want to deal with workers comp but the stupid urgent care refused service until you did because you were on company property!

I take it you speak from experience. Hope you heal and get better
  • AliNouveau

Logically yes...but I'm stubborn and stupid and it usually takes something catastrophic for me to admit that I am not super human and need a break to heal. I will take a rest from running the rest of this week
  • ManBehindTheMask
    ManBehindTheMask Posts: 615 Member

Thanks @ManBehindTheMask I was fitted years ago and they fit me in shoes I told them wouldn't work, Nikes always hurt my feet and that's what they told me I needed...I ended up hobbling home and retuning the blood stained shoes. So I'm just skeptical but I guess maybe I just got the really bad fitter person that day

You're welcome! That sounds like a nightmare, definitely not what you'd expect from a proper fitting.

You'll find some places have the staff observe our running, others will have you run on the treadmill while recorded by a camera, then watch the video back and analyse - which can be better, giving they can watch it more than once etc.

Just make sure the person doing the analysis has good knowledge of biomechanics, lol
  • AliNouveau
    epr3996 wrote: »

Logically yes...but I'm stubborn and stupid and it usually takes something catastrophic for me to admit that I am not super human and need a break to heal. I will take a rest from running the rest of this week

In most cases it takes a few weeks for Planar Fascitis to completely heel <--- get it heel? I've had mine for 1 1/2 months now and finally decided to give it rest and ice as of today if feels maybe 75% better!

you are clever aren't you. I guess I'll rest and find my peas
  • craigspaterson33
    craigspaterson33 Posts: 10 Member
    I have this same issue. After incorporating a lot of daily walking into my routine, I started to experience this. Mostly seemed after resting, or getting out of bed. My understanding is the micro-tears start heal, then when you stretch the muscles, tendons, and ligaments, the tearing occurs again. I have learned to do three things for this: First, apply ice immediately after a long walk or run. Two, stretch the area throughout the day. For me, I keep a water bottle under my desk and roll by bare feet over it. Three, once and awhile just take a break for a day or two if it really bothers. Of course, getting a doctor's evaluation to make sure you are not speculating is always a good idea.
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    edited June 2017

If it's not PF the alternative is Achilles tendonopathy. A torn Achilles as a result of not resting it will spoil your day.

Fwiw if you wear heels often that'll contribute to the risk of both PF and Achilles tendonopathy.
  • GiddyupTim
    GiddyupTim Posts: 2,819 Member
    I am just going to reiterate what a few people have already said here: plantar fasciitis.
    The classic early presentation of PF is as heel pain. I thought 'I must have a heel spur" when I first got mine.
    It the pain worst with the first steps out of bed every morning? That is another classic PF sign.
  • AliNouveau
    GiddyupTim wrote: »
    I am just going to reiterate what a few people have already said here: plantar fasciitis.
    The classic early presentation of PF is as heel pain. I thought 'I must have a heel spur" when I first got mine.
    It the pain worst with the first steps out of bed every morning? That is another classic PF sign.

ya oddly it's most store in the evenings after I've been active all day. Stupid feet.