resistance band question.

Options
I've asked MANY people this, some who are exercise instructors, and no one has ever given me a straight answer. So here goes.....

Let's say you have a 15 pound resistance band (just picked a random number). Obviously, you know that if you step in the middle of the band on the ground and pull the bands toward the sky you will get some level of resistance, but if you step toward each end and pull up toward the sky the resistance gets much more. SO here's the question.....

At what point or where to step to get exactly the 15 pounds? When you step toward the ends and get maximum resistance how much does it go up to? This would help me to know when to go up on the weight or buy another band. But it's hard to know how much resistance I have if the band says 15 but depending on where you step it can be super easy or super hard.

I'm hoping someone else has thought about this.

Replies

• Ben_there_done_that
    Ben_there_done_that Posts: 732 Member
    Options
    I have honestly never thought about this before. Dumbbells are so much easier. Send an e-mail to the band manufacturer. That'll give them something to do.
  • PPumpItUp
    PPumpItUp Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    Why does it matter? Go until you reach failure and write that down, adjust accordingly.
  • HeidiGrrrl
    HeidiGrrrl Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    That is a really good question. I use them, too. My understanding that the optimal distance to get the resistance equivalent of weight of the band is to have your feet about 2 feet (24 inches) apart, or roughly at the same distance as your shoulders. That's fine if you're doing certain lifts with the band, but not helpful for other routines with them. Would be interesting to know.
  • animatorswearbras
    animatorswearbras Posts: 1,001 Member
    Options
    Interesting question, I would imagine the middle but surely there is less resistance for someone who's 5 foot compared to 6 foot 6. As Ben says give the manufacturer an email, I'll have to say I'm a big fan of resistance bands just because they are comparatively cheap, light, versatile and easy to store if you don't have much room. I however don't worry too much about the specific weight personally but just go with the hardest resistance I can manage a set with but then again I don't have much of a goal beyond "get fit/maintain muscle at a deficit"
  • stanmann571
    stanmann571 Posts: 5,728 Member
    Options
    IT's going to vary from manufacturer to manufacturer.

Based on the formula for the rubber/silicone and the breaking strength...

Which is one of the reasons why Bowflex and bands can't give you the same consistent level of work as free weights.
  • Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,209 Member
    Options
    npguy2013 wrote: »
    But it's hard to know how much resistance I have if the band says 15 but depending on where you step it can be super easy or super hard.

That's one of the downsides of bands compared to freeweights. As was said, i would just do as many reps as you can, and when you reach your goal number of reps, use more resistance (or step farther out, if doing something like the chest press or rows).

If you're absolutely determined to find the point of "15 pounds", use a luggage scale. :+1:

• SonyaCele
    SonyaCele Posts: 2,841 Member
    Options
    for accuracy, we have a scale thing we hook on the band to measure the tension at certain points. Otherwise i just grab a band and do whatever exercise im supposed to do and keep it challenging.
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    Very legit question and impossible to answer without a scale measuring the force applied. There is not likely to be any standard for measuring the band's when anchored at a specific distance.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    You could contact the manufacturer and ask for technical specs.