Losing less than a pound a week

Options
2»

Replies

• llwolford
    llwolford Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    Hi stick with it!!! I would suggest switching up your exercise. I am the same height as you my starting weight 1/16 was 173.6 and my current weight is 122. My pant size went from a 12/14 to 0/2. It took 18 months to drop 50 pounds. Make sure you are doing a variety of exercises cardio mixed with strength training 5 to 6 days a week. Eat clean...I know a generic word. By that I mean, preparing most of your own meals. Eating fruits and vegetables, healthy fats like nuts, avocado, good sources of protein lean meats, fish, beans. I mainly eat quinoa, rice, veggies, for my carbs. Eat open faced sandwiches or cut 1 slice in half if you need a top and bottom. I increase my calories on intense work out days, but still leave a deficit. I only increase my calories if I am hungry though....otherwise you are eating just to eat. Watch your snacking....this was my downfall. Stress eating. Also, remember this is not just a physical journey it is an emotional, mental, and spiritual one too.

With all that said .5 pound to a pound of weight loss is really perfect. Be patient....you are doing fantastic.
  • trigden1991
    trigden1991 Posts: 4,658 Member
    Options
    I am in the same boat eating 1200 calories a day. I recently upped it to 1275 to see if that would make a difference.

It will make a difference!

It will make you lose slower as you are eating more.

My theory...

Logging 1200 and estimating portions, the 1200 is probably like 1500+.
    When someone 'increases' their calories they panic at the idea. So aiming for 1275, but being more accurate, and actually eating 1275: may result in weight loss as intended.

Missed the bit on estimating portions. Absolutely agree with you if that is the case.

If you are estimating, you literally have no idea how many calories you are consuming.
  • cee134
    cee134 Posts: 33,711 Member
    Options
    It's not a race. Slower but steady will work for you much better in the long run.
  • VeggieBarbells
    VeggieBarbells Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    allyphoe wrote: »
    Weekly photos (the camera never lies)

https://shapescale.com/blog/monday-myths/transformation-photos/

The camera totally lies.

Taking weekly pictures on my phone was one of the biggest motivators I had. Good luck with your journey :D
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    Options
    Tjs8819 wrote: »
    On 1300-1500 cals a day. Shouldn't I be losing more? It's been coming off very slowly since I've dropped the first 20lbs

5'5
    SW 180
    CW 161
    GW 140

since you have less than 25lbs to lose you should be losing less than a lb a week(0.5 lb/week),the less you have to lose the slower it will be and should be.
  • kenyonhaff
    kenyonhaff Posts: 1,377 Member
    Options
    .5 is my average and I'm down about 34 pounds now. Quick weight loss is harder to do and more importantly to maintain than quick weight loss.
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 9,068 Member
    Options
    I dont think Op needs to change anything she is doing - so her estimating counting and whatever calories she is actually eating is just fine - since she is losing at rate of 1/2 lb per week and that is what she should be doing with her amount to lose.

All she needs to do is adjust her expectations and realise this is normal.

(incidentally OP, I had total of 10 kg to lose - around 22lb. I lost the entire lot at 1/2 lb per week - ie 10kg in 10 months.)
  • puzzledstill
    puzzledstill Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    I have found this series of posts very interesting. I'd never heard of bmr and tdee - but now calculated.
    For what it's worth my thoughts are when deciding a target weight listen to your body. I got to my target (not using MFP) but had set it too low so was unrealistic to maintain and lead a normal life in the way I want.
    So this time I'm aiming to lose about 10 - 14 lbs - I will accept it when I plateau.
    And yes it's coming off slowly - and at times my weight lose journey is taking the scenic route. The detours are called holidays and parties. But all recorded and echoing previous comments guesstimated as best I can.
    At home everything is recorded, weighed and measured - even weigh the dogs food as don't want her carrying extra weight !
    So thank you for the info. Onwards and downwards.