What's the best way to add veggies to breakfast and lunches at work?

Options
abbynormalartist
abbynormalartist Posts: 318 Member
I get a big side of veggies with most dinners but I'm trying to eat more at breakfast and lunch. Volume eating makes me happy! :) What are some of your favorite ways to work veggies into those meals? Cold raw veg doesn't sound great for first thing in the morning. I work a pretty early shift so I need meals that I can eat at my desk with just microwave and a fridge available. Often my breakfast is a cup of greek yogurt and lunch is tuna with a side of cottage cheese and fruit. I like to eat low cal earlier in the day so I can enjoy a big dinner and save room for nighttime snacks.

Replies

• brookielaw
    brookielaw Posts: 814 Member
    edited June 2017
    Options
    I put spinach and bell peppers in my morning egg. I put spinach in my protein shake if I'm drinking a shake. A side salad goes nicely with lunch. I frequently buy little snack packs of carrots, ranch, and cheese, and sometimes I'll eat those for breakfast, or with my lunch. It's not the most imaginative but it works for me.
  • Lizakabibbis
    Lizakabibbis Posts: 370 Member
    Options
    I roast veggies - chop them and throw them in my egg mixture in the mornings. For lunch I like a nice big salad loaded with veggies. It doesn't have to be a lettuce salad. Roasted veggie salad w/your fav dressing!
  • Tried30UserNames
    Tried30UserNames Posts: 561 Member
    edited June 2017
    Options
    I usually have eggs for breakfast so vegetables are easy. I add onion, peppers, mushrooms and spinach to scrambled eggs or omelets. If you're not cooking breakfast, I'd probably just take some leftover vegetables from last night's dinner and warm them up to eat with the yogurt.

I'd chop up some vegetables with the tuna...grated carrot, minced celery, onion, pepper, and have the whole thing on a bed of lettuce or spinach, maybe with some cucumber slices. And I love soup. I'd probably make some vegetable soup to have as a side with the tuna. Just broth, veg of any type and some seasonings make a good soup. Either eat it chunky or puree it for cream of vegetable soup.
  • lucys1225
    lucys1225 Posts: 597 Member
    Options
    For breakfast, I make a big roasted vegetable and egg casserole. I just cut a piece off and heat it up.
  • chelllsea124
    chelllsea124 Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    I love throwing a ton of veggies into a "fritatta" type thingy. LOL. You can freeze it and meal prep it for the week. Very easy! Broccolli, spinach, onions, peppers, etc. Basically any veggie you like.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    For breakfast I do a vegetable omelet or simply have eggs with veg on the side or if in a hurry I have raw veg with greek yogurt and smoked salmon or some such. If I do a smoothie (which is rare) it's mostly vegetable too, with maybe a few berries. I used to have savory oats with an egg, zucchini, spinach or the like.

Lunch for me is often a salad with protein or (as today) dinner leftovers, so that's even easier.
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    Options
    Veggie omelet. Or avocado toast with a fried egg on top. I've also made an eggs scramble with fried potatoes, scrambled eggs, bacon, and little chunks of avocado and or tomato. I guess those are fruits? Not sure.

I personally eat raw veggies for lunch a lot as a filler. I like little mini sweet peppers and baby carrots with ranch.
  • indugoo
    indugoo Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Stirfry some cabbage in Soy sauce to eat with your tuna.its super filling and low cal and easy
  • beaglady
    beaglady Posts: 1,362 Member
    Options
    Every few weeks, I make a big pot of some kind of stew that has lots of veggies added. I freeze these in single portions for lunch. Usually seasoned with some variation of curry, Cajun or Mexican. On days when I bring meat leftovers from dinner, I keep a bag of either frozen green beans or cauliflower here, and just mic a big bowl. I usually have a bottle of hoisin sauce in the freezer for those times when the meat didn't contribute enough saucy flavor on its own.
  • deannalfisher
    deannalfisher Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    I buy those steamfresh bags of veggies, or you can buy your own steambags (Ziploc makes them) and nuke them at work - I do the same with bags of rice, or riced sweet potato etc
  • slw5X5
    slw5X5 Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    I like to blend up veggies with water and strawberries.....kale, spinach, brussel sprouts, parsley, beets....you name it! The strawberries make it drinkable and sometimes I add a banana. oh, and it takes several mins in the blender.
  • lporter229
    lporter229 Posts: 4,907 Member
    Options
    I like to make sweet potato hash with eggs. I cut up whatever veggies I have on hand, usually peppers, onions, spinach, zucchini, mushrooms and saute it up with shredded sweet potato and seasoning. Then I fry an egg or two to top it with. I also love veggie omelets and egg muffins with veggies for a quick weekday breakfast.
  • laur357
    laur357 Posts: 896 Member
    Options
    I like pureed veggie soups as a side for lunch, or a whole meal if I add cheese to it. Cauliflower cheddar this week, with onion/garlic/carrot/celery in there as well. I find that most of them freeze well, so you can make a bunch and freeze in single servings.