Using MFP while pregnant.

Options
Before becoming pregnant I was way over weight than I need to be. I was hoping to mainly make sure I'm getting all the nutrients I need and to be accountable for not eating too crazy. I know its dumb but its like if I'm not tracking I'm not even trying at all to eat healthy and that is just no good for anyone.
Has anyone used the app while pregnant and do you have any advice?

Replies

• Snikkee
    Snikkee Posts: 295 Member
    Options
    I am 23 weeks pregnant and use the app. I understand what you are saying about not even trying if you don't log at all. I'm the same way. Please add me as a friend. My diary is open, I eat clean, I started my pregnancy overweight and now need to maintain my weight, I w struggled with weight most of my life, got a grip on it 5 years ago, had a lot of success became a personal trainer, and then fell back into my old habit gained 57 lbs in the 1st 4 months of what is now my second pregnancy.
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,342 Member
    Options
    Set MFP to maintain weight during pregnancy, for most people that will be 2000 calories a day. The last trimester you can eat more, around 200 cals extra above maintenance as that's when both you and baby need extra fuel. That's what ITV's Dr Hilary's recommended a number of months ago but which I've never forgot.

Congrats on your baby news :smile:
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 10,020 Member
    Options
    Set MFP to maintain weight during pregnancy, for most people that will be 2000 calories a day. The last trimester you can eat more, around 200 cals extra above maintenance as that's when both you and baby need extra fuel. That's what ITV's Dr Hilary's recommended a number of months ago but which I've never forgot.

Congrats on your baby news :smile:

OP, it's better to get advice specifically for you from your own physician/OB-GYN than rely on second-hand generic advice from a TV doctor who's never met you and knows nothing about your particular situation.
  • CorinnaShaw
    CorinnaShaw Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    I'm currently pregnant and this has been my best friend. I found out by using this that I was eating over 4000 calories a day. I would say that before you put ANYTHING in your mouth, enter it into hear and check out the nutritional value. Doing that has discouraged me from eating pizza on more than one occasion along with a lot of other junk food. I only eat somrthing bad for me if I don't enter it on here first because then I am happily oblivious and left to regret it later. Haha
  • angiejim0415
    angiejim0415 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I was overweight prepregnancy. I gained a healthy 30lbs with my 2nd which i lost almost immediately. Now im only 4 months with my 3rd in and ive already gained 20lbs. I stay at home with my 4yo and 8 month old. So its so easy to walk by the fridge 20 times a day and reach in for something to snack on. I hoping to get my eating habits under control before it gets too out of hand. If i was to only gain 10lbs the next 5 months, id be completely happy with that.
  • 4legsRbetterthan2
    4legsRbetterthan2 Posts: 19,590 MFP Moderator
    Options
    I am currently 29 weeks and been using the app along the way. It has helped me keep my gain in the range advised by my ob.

I found this link very helpful:
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10176233/gaining-weight-during-pregnancy-and-losing-it-post-partum

and enjoy participating in this group:
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/1903-fit-fabulous-pregnant

~best wishes