Macros to reduce body fat

Hello everyone, this is my first post on the community, but it's been a while I'm reading this section, and I've found plenty of nice tips and experiences. Now I need some advices

Replies

• canthisbereal290
    canthisbereal290 Posts: 1 Member
    ok im told to eat 1700 calories a day how will i loose weight like that
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,809 Member
    Macros aren't that important - as long as you are getting reasonable amount of protein and fat in an overall healthy diet.

What is important if you are trying to recomp (maintain weight while gaining muscle/losing fat) is your training. That's where it all starts.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,865 Member

At what rate of loss? What are your stats? Calorie requirements vary from person to person based on their stats and overall activity levels.

If you put in 1 Lb loss then your theoretical maintenance is around 2,200 calories. My wife is 5'2" and that's right around her maintenance...when she cuts, it's usually around 1700-1800 calories per day. It probably looks odd to you because people are conditioned to think they need to eat like little birds and starve to lose weight.
  • sijomial
    edited June 2017
    @canthisbereal290
    Maybe start your own thread? In the correct forum would be a good idea too.

How can anyone tell you what your calorie allowance is when they don't know anything about you! :)
  • nowine4me
    nowine4me Posts: 3,985 Member
    sijomial wrote: »
    Macros aren't that important - as long as you are getting reasonable amount of protein and fat in an overall healthy diet.

What is important if you are trying to recomp (maintain weight while gaining muscle/losing fat) is your training. That's where it all starts.

I'm curious as to an expert source on recomp to do my homework. Any thoughts? I had hoped Lyle M, but I don't see any full recomp advice on his site or the books. Specifically in recomp is it as simple as eat maintenance and lift heavy? Or are there nuances around staggering calories and adjusting macros? Can I ever get there lifting 2x a week?
  • sijomial
    nowine4me wrote: »

I'm curious as to an expert source on recomp to do my homework. Any thoughts? I had hoped Lyle M, but I don't see any full recomp advice on his site or the books. Specifically in recomp is it as simple as eat maintenance and lift heavy? Or are there nuances around staggering calories and adjusting macros? Can I ever get there lifting 2x a week?
    @nowine4me
    Recomp doesn't require anything special - it's just a normal response to stimulus.
    There are some calorie cycling protocols but that's...
    A/ Based on woo, seeking to make simple sound more complex - never seen anything to prove it's beneficial. There was a truly awful MFP article on it!
    B/ A personal preference for eating and training.

Twice a week isn't probably optimal in terms of speed of change but what does "get there" actually mean?
    Better then you are now or competition levels?
    To me it's not a defined end point or even a standalone goal, just a byproduct of training for improved fitness, strength and performance.

• MrStabbems
    MrStabbems Posts: 3,110 Member
    @nowine4me I'm a tad confused as to what people think a recomp is?

I always understood it as a reduction in fat and an increase in muscle mass, I and many folks I know have had success on traditional cutting and bulking cycles. Some had bad bulks, sure, but most were ok. In terms of macros the above is right, there isn't anything particularly special required.

On my cuts: Protein high-ish, carbs as low as I could without compromising workouts (trial & error on this one is required I'm afraid) and fats were pretty standard.

On my bulks: Protein slightly higher, carbs higher (to give more energy for workouts), fats the same.

What I try to get right on both cycles is meal timing around workouts, quality sources of protein, a good mix of fast and slow carbs, make sure I get my vitamins, amino acid etc, and keep my fats as clean as possible. I personally lift at about 70-75% of my ORM and work body parts two days a week with one rest day (or two if I need extra). This is on both cutting and bulking, the only differences are my calorie intake, the above slight macro changes and the amount of cardio I do.

I personally find trying to lose fat and gain noticeable muscle mass in a single period a waste of my time, it's never happened for me or anyone I know, nuances or not. You're basically stuck between two goals and in the end you get to neither.
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    You actually want higher protein on a cut than a bulk
  • idorian3211
    idorian3211 Posts: 2 Member

Let's go for grades : I'm 143 lb and I try to eat at least 180g of proteins every day, I exercise 5 days per week and I think I can say that I have a very active life. That said, I'm basically following a 12 week bodyweight training programme right now, I don't know if I can say which one however. It's basically a circuit training, quite intense I'd say, and it's a mix of anaerobic and aerobic exercises, it depends in the day of training. And yes, my goal is to reduce my body fat percentage keeping my weight and increasing my muscular mass, ideally. Is there any kind of workout routine I should try to follow?