Withings underestimating daily burn?

Options
Hi, I have a question. My withing Steel HR which I wear all day, takes my heart rate, counts steps and puts my daily burn at about 1700 calories. Can this be right? It seems low.

I'm 33, 5 foot 7, 173lbs. I do about 10,000 steps a day, cycle at least 3 miles and do 30 minutes of kettle bells.

I eat about 1500 calories, and my weight loss is slow, but I just wondered if anyone could explain further?

Thanks

Replies

• Seffell
    Seffell Posts: 2,221 Member
    Options
    Seems a bit low to me. If I were to guess (since your stats are similar to mine 2 years ago) you should burn around 2000cal a day with these exercises. Might be even more but 2k to be safe is my guess.
    I have no idea why your HR is giving you 1700 only.
    Are you sure it gives you 1700 for maintanance and not for a cut?

My fitbit HR on the contrary overestimates my burns big deal.
  • SeikoMonster
    SeikoMonster Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    If it is not your first month you can do your own math if you track your weight regularly.
    First month is too much water weight and adjusting to give a good figure.

Input your own numbers, and you can do shorter time periods, but 10-15 days is as short as I tend to checkup.
    Month will give you a better figure.

Lets say you lost 8 pounds last month eating 1500 calories per day.
    So here is the math to do it
    8 x 3500 (number of calories in a pound) = 28000
    28000 / 30 (number of days) = 933 (number of calories lost per day)
    933 +1500 (number of calories eaten per day) = 2433 is the number of calories burned per day.
  • janjunie
    janjunie Posts: 1,200 Member
    Options
    I have a Withings as well. When I'm losing weight I have it set to sedentary, with a weight loss goal of .5 lbs/week. When I hit about 10 000 steps Withings gives my an extra 120 calories on top of my calorie goal. My steps are mostly walking on a flat surface (no hills where I live) and I've found this to be pretty accurate.
  • mlinci
    mlinci Posts: 403 Member
    Options
    Hm. Maybe my body is a super furnace, which would be awesome, but I'm 42, 5'5, 139lbs, walk 12,000 steps on average with no other exercise and I use up about 2,000 calories a day. I'm set to sedentary but synch my steps via Fitbit - my maintenance calories would be about 1,600 at sedentary, but I reach 2,000 calories (so about 400 extra) at about 11,000 steps. I've been maintaining since March, so my numbers clearly work for me.

In other words, to me it looks like your tracker is underestimating your additional calories - are you sure you are not set to some kind of "lightly active" setting?
  • Fitforevermore
    Fitforevermore Posts: 399 Member
    Options
    janjunie wrote: »
    I have a Withings as well. When I'm losing weight I have it set to sedentary, with a weight loss goal of .5 lbs/week. When I hit about 10 000 steps Withings gives my an extra 120 calories on top of my calorie goal. My steps are mostly walking on a flat surface (no hills where I live) and I've found this to be pretty accurate.

Thanks for the responses everyone. I think it must be a bit low, although my weight loss has been really slow, so maybe not. I don't know how to set the withings for a calorie goal, I just use mfp
  • janjunie
    janjunie Posts: 1,200 Member
    Options
    janjunie wrote: »

Thanks for the responses everyone. I think it must be a bit low, although my weight loss has been really slow, so maybe not. I don't know how to set the withings for a calorie goal, I just use mfp

I use MFP as well, it's just synched together, so Withings knows MFPs calorie goal.