Weight loss vs fat loss

Options
So i noticed i lose wieght at a normal rate but my body fat % is refusing to move. Not sure what is going on here but i must be losing water only?? Since my muscle mass is still there. Or maybe using a scale to measure body fat % is not the way to go about it? Not sure

Replies

• Poisonedpawn78
    Poisonedpawn78 Posts: 1,145 Member
    Options
    Find out the margin of error for that scale, its likely quite high as that method tends to be quite inaccurate.
  • 30kgin2017
    30kgin2017 Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    That really just means you are losing weight in the same proportion of your current body composition meaning you are losing muscle as well as fat. People will jump on and tell you how inaccurate these scales are, and yes they are only a guesstimate but if you use them under the same conditions then they can show you a trend.

I have noticed that if I am losing weight eating high carb low protein i.e. lots of sugary stuff (but sticking to calorie goal) or under eating full stop my body fat % will go up even if my weight has gone down. If I eat reasonably healthily (doesnt have to be perfect but generally for me its more protein and less carbs) and stick to my calorie goal and possibly do some exercise then my body fat % will generally go down. If I dont exercise I will lose weight but I tend to find my muscle mass also decreases as well as fat while if I exercise I will often keep my muscle mass the same while only body fat goes down.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    Body fat scales are inaccurate. Here's an interesting series that discusses the accuracy of various body fat testing methods. Be sure to pay attention to the sections that discuss how good they are(n't) at gauging changes over time.

http://weightology.net/weightologyweekly/index.php/free-content/free-content/volume-1-issue-3-the-pitfalls-of-body-fat-measurement-parts-1-and-2/the-pitfalls-of-body-fat-measurement-part-1/
  • nowine4me
    nowine4me Posts: 3,985 Member
    Options
    Besides scale discrepancies--it takes ALOT to move the needle on body fat. I typically drop about 1% for every 10 pounds. The lighter I get, the slower it goes. Currently 145# and 25% at 5-7"
  • sgt1372
    sgt1372 Posts: 3,988 Member
    Options
    It is also possible that you are losing fat and LBM at the same rate, especially if you are not lifting to maintain LBM.

Only way to measure BF/LBM w/reasonable certainty is with a DXA scan or hydrostatic test. Cost and availabilty varies by location but quarterly scans/tests are highly recommended if you want to seriously track your weight loss effort.