2»

Replies

• cmtigger
    cmtigger Posts: 1,450 Member
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    sophie7591 wrote: »
    allyphoe wrote: »
    My doctor recommended cutting back on sodium at the same time I started medication for blood pressure. When I went back for my follow-up 2 weeks later, I asked how much I should be cutting back by, because I could get down to an average of 1200mg a day, but it took effort and I felt crappy all the time and I'd lost 5 pounds of water weight. "Don't cut back by that much," she said.

My Grandmother stopped recognizing anyone after having accidentally been put on a low-sodium diet for a few weeks, and never recovered. Sodium is good for you, unless you have a specific reason why it's not good for you in particular.

ETA: the water weight came back over the span of several more weeks, as my body adjusted. Bodies like water, too.
    So how much lower if not 1200 ?

People should get this number from their doctor.

I have never seen a doctor call for less that 1500mg a day because we need sodium to live. That 1500 is only for those with hypertension or certain other risks. Even then, the numbers are being called into question as a blanket recommendation for people.
    I've only heard of extremely low in cases of severe kidney disease.

But ask your doctor for a number.
  • cmtigger
    cmtigger Posts: 1,450 Member
    Options
    Yes, I eat a salt free diet with some seaweed for iodine. There's also a lot of sodium in dark green vegetables and celery. I've had my sodium levels tested and they're totally normal. I believe it's helped me lose over 25 pounds since January. I'm now 135 at 5"8". So yeah, I think it has helped a lot. It made me crave food a lot less and not binge
    You are eating sodium that occurs naturally in food.