Proactivity in Trying to Fathom Why I Simply Stopped Something So Effective

Options
Today I spent some time looking over data on here and on the Fitbit site to determine when I simply quit walking and exercise, as well as tracking/planning my food intake after taking off a considerable amount of weight using this system. The date all logging stopped and the fitness stopped was precisely May 14, 2014, which coincidentally was our grandson's first birthday. Oh, the grandson had nothing to do with this though, but, it would have been about the time I stopped helping our daughter out with him two days a week while she worked. Also going on in our lives at that time would have been my FIL's decline after a broken hip. Though he broke the hip in January of that year, he came home to the apartment on our property, after his stay in the rehabilitation unit to try to regain his mobility. He was already deep into the throes of Alzheimer's by then and never managed to recover from the fall. So in May of the year, around this same time he spent a week in a respite/hospice facility while we were able to find the proper placement for him as we became unable to handle it at home. Once placed, my days were spent in visits, or at least in getting my MIL there daily for visits. After several months she determined that she could no longer handle going daily, so we dropped the number of days.....a perfect opportunity for me to recover my weight loss effort before completely undoing it. He always said, "Nothing like hindsight." So here I am weighing even more than I did at the onset of my last serious effort while trying to determine how I'm going to overcome the next challenge life throws at me. Perhaps it will be either of the mothers, who both live here in their own apartments across the driveway. As is, I make several trips to doctors, etc., a week. Now both are suffering from their own problems and sadly we may once again have to face a placement of one or the other during this most likely greater than two years of reduction before I can even consider maintainence. I suppose awareness of what trips me up is the first step in winning the battle, so I press onward in hopes my understanding will now assist me in success when the time comes.

Replies

• rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member
    Options
    Taking care of my dad after his stroke was harder than I could have ever believed before I did it - be kind to yourself, you deserve it. Hopefully life will give you a little break for a while, and next time you will be armed with knowledge learned from this experience.
  • besaro
    besaro Posts: 1,858 Member
    Options
    it requires fairly constant attention and a solid plan for us to not get jarred off course. For me, having food prep on one day and at least knowing the gram amount for servings for my meals is key. The minute I dont have time to make up my weekly foods, I am grabbing bars and finding myself eating crackers or far too many nuts. The only thing that comes to mind what they tell you on every flight i have ever taken, put the airmask on yourself first before the child. You have to take care of yourself to be your best self for others.
  • 88olds
    88olds Posts: 4,480 Member
    edited June 2017
    Options
    Sorry you face such challenges, but thank you for the insightful post.

I'm 67. In the course of my life I've gained and lost 3 times. My last go at weight loss was joining Weight Watchers in 2006. Happy to say it's been successful beyond all expectations. But I don't bring it up to plug WW. A big reason it's been so good to me is because I never quit going to the meetings. 11yrs. I've been to 100s of WW meetings.

Back to your post. I've sat in those meetings and listened to people explain how they have willfully abandoned the program. Happens every week. Then they disappear. Some come back after a couple of years heavier than ever.

My observation. Our new better habits are more fragile than we realize. Any disruption to our routines present dangers. I've listened to lots of folks who were losing & in a groove. Then came the change. Couldn't find the new groove.

I think what you've done here is very good work. Questions comes to mind. Did you stop logging food because you knew you were eating too much? Eating different stuff and were burdened by the calculations? Away from your computer?
    Something else?

But I think you've really hit it. WL is stuff to do. We fail when we quit doing.
    Good luck.

• thelifeilove1
    thelifeilove1 Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    88olds wrote: »
    Sorry you face such challenges, but thank you for the insightful post.

I'm 67. In the course of my life I've gained and lost 3 times. My last go at weight loss was joining Weight Watchers in 2006. Happy to say it's been successful beyond all expectations. But I don't bring it up to plug WW. A big reason it's been so good to me is because I never quit going to the meetings. 11yrs. I've been to 100s of WW meetings.

Back to your post. I've sat in those meetings and listened to people explain how they have willfully abandoned the program. Happens every week. Then they disappear. Some come back after a couple of years heavier than ever.

My observation. Our new better habits are more fragile than we realize. Any disruption to our routines present dangers. I've listened to lots of folks who were losing & in a groove. Then came the change. Couldn't find the new groove.

I think what you've done here is very good work. Questions comes to mind. Did you stop logging food because you knew you were eating too much? Eating different stuff and were burdened by the calculations? Away from your computer?
    Something else?

But I think you've really hit it. WL is stuff to do. We fail when we quit doing.
    Good luck.

I'll ponder these questions today and try to respond tonight. All of them are good. Oh, my first serious effort at a great weight loss was in fact Weight Watchers. Once more since then I tried going back to weight watchers but they'd changed the system to points and I really never got on board with it as before. Now the knowledge afforded by MFP and Fitbit works best for me; I simply know that like you it must be a life choice, not a diet. Thanks for your comments.