Getting back on track after c section

Options
So, I am 8 weeks pp after an unplanned c section and desperate to shift the baby weight (plus that gained after baby from comfort eating and not being able to get about as much) I am very keen to get back to my old self but a little afraid of accidentally overdoing it and setting recovery back or hurting myself internally around the incision. Has anyone got any tips on how they got back in to exercise carefully or what I should avoid or is best to start with? Any help in getting rid of the little shelf of belly above my scar would be Great too!

Replies

• ludds
    ludds Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    I'm now 26 weeks past an emergency c section. I breastfed until 15 weeks so didn't focus too much on my diet until then. I started jogging at 8 weeks and played a bit of netball but not full matches from 12 weeks. I gave up breastfeeding at 15 weeks and started mfp soon after. From then on in I was able to exercise more intensely and in line with my pre pregnancy regime. I've trusted mfp although occasionally have a tendency to go a bit harsher than the numbers tell me too (ie eat too little or not eat back any exercise calories) so trying to overcome that. I was 10st6 when I quit breastfeeding amd have lost a stone in the 11 weeks since then. I'm nearly back in my pre preg size 8 clothes but I'm afraid to say the wobbly tummy will be a problem for a while yet. I had a previous csec in 2004 and snapped back into my clothes but had to work for about 9-12 months to get a tummy I was happy with. Be very wary of exercise before 12 weeks pp and take it very slowly listening to your body after that. I was 16 weeks before I felt completely like me again. Hope my ramblings are of some help.
  • mom2kateRH
    mom2kateRH Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    You are wise to not want to do too much too soon. I did, post c section, and ended up horribly straining a back muscle. It was so bad, I literally could not turn over in bed without using my arms to pull me, couldn't stand up straight first thing in the morning, I'd look at people just walking normally and think, "how do they stand up so easily and so straight?" It was bad.

A lot depends on what you were doing up until birth and how strong your core was. I'd start with walking and gentle yoga. Simple, slow core strengthening exercises. You likely have a bit of a diastasis (separation of the ab muscles), so be gentle.

It's really hard to be patient, and I feel like we get bombarded with stories/images of female athletes who have babies and 4months later are competing again. But remember, they have an entire team of trainers and coaches.

Congrats on the new, beautiful miracle you brought into this world. If this is your first, hang in. You are starting an incredible journey!
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,966 Member
    Options
    I would just start with walking personally. It's something easy you can do with baby. You can use one of those carrier things or a stroller. As for the "shelf" I don't know if there's anything you can do for that specifically. Mine is mostly gone now and my baby is 18 months old.
  • shadow2soul
    shadow2soul Posts: 7,692 Member
    Options
    I started to soon after my last csection and caused it to reopen a tiny bit (it was a super tiny spot, but put on bed rest till it closed so that it wouldn't open further). :neutral:
    At around 12 wks post partum I was told it was okay to workout again. I did ask my doc if exercise dvd's like Insanity were okay (not that I wanted to do insanity, but it's a fairly intense program that most people seem to recognize). He told me to watch the ab exercises for a few months. About a week after that I started a 12 week DVD program (Not as intense as insanity...it was mostly strength based with 2-3 cardio workouts a week), but skipped the ab workouts for the first 6 weeks.

For me, I was able to get back to pre-pregnancy weight by 6-7 months post partum. I still had weight to lose, but it definitely felt like a huge accomplishment to get back to were I had left off prior to pregnancy.

As for the overhang, mine shrunk as I lost weight. Currently there is still an overhang, but it's mostly loose skin which I think is mostly from being obese (BMI 44) after my first son was born. It can easily be hidden though.
  • RachelElser
    RachelElser Posts: 1,049 Member
    Options
    Better to be cautious, you just had a MAJOR surgery! I assume you are still going to your OB/GYN for check ups? I think they would be the best place to start asking.
  • Chef_Barbell
    Chef_Barbell Posts: 6,644 Member
    Options
    Relser wrote: »
    Better to be cautious, you just had a MAJOR surgery! I assume you are still going to your OB/GYN for check ups? I think they would be the best place to start asking.

I agree with this. I had 3 c-sections and I waited at least 12 weeks before even thinking about working out. Plus I was way too tired with a newborn. I would prioritize rest, too many people underestimate it.
  • perkymommy
    perkymommy Posts: 1,642 Member
    edited June 2017
    Options
    Beatie wrote: »
    So, I am 8 weeks pp after an unplanned c section and desperate to shift the baby weight (plus that gained after baby from comfort eating and not being able to get about as much) I am very keen to get back to my old self but a little afraid of accidentally overdoing it and setting recovery back or hurting myself internally around the incision. Has anyone got any tips on how they got back in to exercise carefully or what I should avoid or is best to start with? Any help in getting rid of the little shelf of belly above my scar would be Great too!

I had my last baby almost 8 years ago via c-section and still have that little area above my incision area. It's hard to lose it completely but it's possible. I always started walking as soon as possible once I was 6 weeks PP with all of my children. Pop them in a stroller and go! That's the best way to get exercise early on and walking can't hurt you.

At 8 weeks PP - I probably wouldn't do any type of exercise that focuses on your abs due to the incision. This is major surgery! You not only have that incision you can see but there is another layer inside at the uterus that has to heal as well. I would wait until you are at least 4-6 months PP, even closer to 6 months to focus on your abdominal area. I've had 3 c-sections and I've heard it can take up to a year to completely heal. You may even want to advise with your doctor just to be on the safe side.