Was exercising a ton until the heat and humidity...

Options
So far I have lost 38 lbs, since late march. I had been exercising a ton: hiking for an hour most days, walking for 45 mins at night, some other stuff... well now that its so hot humid out that it feels like I'm living in a bowl of soup, I just feel lethargic, irritable, and my head hurts a lot... the last thing I wanna go do is die in it. I don't even feel like exercising indoors though because its still so hot and humid in here that it just sucks to move.

Did I mention that I don't do well in the heat and humidity?

I want to lose 28 more lbs, so I probably need to exercise in order to do that within a reasonable time frame.

Anyone else figure out how to beat the heat and keep up the motivation to exercise when even moving a finger is the last thing you wanna do?

- Thanks

Replies

• lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    Shorter workouts during the coolest part of the day. Add swimming or water aerobics if you can. Also be sure to wear light weight wicking clothes even for your walks. It makes a big difference. And keep yourself hydrated.
  • PrincessMel72
    PrincessMel72 Posts: 1,094 Member
    Options
    Hey there - I know what you mean. I live in FL so the heat and humidity will be a big problem for the next few months. We lost a lot of motivation and didn't workout for the last month, but are determined to get back into the gym, starting tonight.

Remember though, exercise is for fitness. Diet is for weight loss. You really don't HAVE to work out as long as you eat in a calorie deficit. Find your calorie goals and stay within them and you'll still lose weight regardless of exercise.
  • Lizzy622
    Lizzy622 Posts: 3,705 Member
    Options
    I got a gym membership just for this reason. I needed to stop making excuses. It's too cold. It's too hot. The gym is temperature controlled. Also lorrpd mentioned going to the pool. Even if you don't swim or feel silly doing water aerobics alone, just walking back and forth in the pool is great exercise.
  • pineapple_jojo
    pineapple_jojo Posts: 440 Member
    Options
    EvelynFeatherstone, I'm in the same boat! I workout at home and even preparing a meal takes maximum effort just now!
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    Exercise is something I do to stay strong & healthy; I would want to be strong and healthy even if I weren't trying to lose weight.

Find exercise - in a gym, in your home, in a pool, before the sun comes up, etc.....that you can continue to do for the rest of your life. If hiking in the heat isn't it....keep looking for a summer substitute.

I use a rebounder at night.......my basement is cool. Check YouTube for exercise options: Fitness Blender, Jessica Smith TV, BeFit TV....
  • clicketykeys
    clicketykeys Posts: 6,568 Member
    Options
    Lizzy622 wrote: »
    I got a gym membership just for this reason. I needed to stop making excuses. It's too cold. It's too hot. The gym is temperature controlled. Also lorrpd mentioned going to the pool. Even if you don't swim or feel silly doing water aerobics alone, just walking back and forth in the pool is great exercise.

Ditto. Also, the gym has machines that help me get my heart rate up while minimizing impact. I don't do well with jogging, and walking just doesn't exert me that much any more.