Did I really gain 12 pounds in 14 days?

So I left for vacation weighing in at 190 (I'm 6'1 m). While I definitely let my diet slip -- I didn't go overboard and stayed very active (running, hiking, biking, kayaking, horseback-riding etc) but w/ a lot of big dinners out. Yet, back from vacation last night I weighed in naked at 202, which seems crazy to impossible. Also I don't think I look that much different and I'm still on the same belt loop. Bizarre? I'm jumping back onto my more standard "clean-eating" and lower carb diet so I'm not stressed about it (I know how to get back on track) just curious as to how that big of a weight shift happens. Water retention?

Replies

• ogtmama
    ogtmama Posts: 1,403 Member
    It's water retention.
  • fitmom4lifemfp
    fitmom4lifemfp Posts: 1,575 Member
    Hypsibius wrote: »
    So I left for vacation weighing in at 190 (I'm 6'1 m). While I definitely let my diet slip -- I didn't go overboard and stayed very active (running, hiking, biking, kayaking, horseback-riding etc) but w/ a lot of big dinners out. Yet, back from vacation last night I weighed in naked at 202, which seems crazy to impossible. Also I don't think I look that much different and I'm still on the same belt loop. Bizarre? I'm jumping back onto my more standard "clean-eating" and lower carb diet so I'm not stressed about it (I know how to get back on track) just curious as to how that big of a weight shift happens. Water retention?

Not impossible at all. I know several people that routinely gain 15 pounds on their cruises, and then work like hell the next 2 months to lose it.
  • apullum
    apullum Posts: 4,838 Member
    edited June 2017
    When I eat in restaurants, and when I exercise a lot without proper hydration, I retain a LOT of water. It's sometimes as much as 10 pounds of water weight. It comes off pretty quickly over the next few days with better hydration and nutrition. Just remember, it would be VERY hard to gain 12 pounds of fat over two weeks if you aren't going way over your calories. You would need to be eating many thousands of calories more than you're burning in order for that to happen.
  • ogtmama
    ogtmama Posts: 1,403 Member
    edited June 2017
    I should elaborate, with all the activities that are unusual for you, dinners out loaded with sodium, and the travel itself (possible constipation from travelling as well maybe?) It is most likely water.You may have gained a couple pounds but I sincerely doubt that the vacation you described resulted in that much FAT gain.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    edited June 2017

Most of it is water retention...some of it is likely fat, but most is water retention and more inherent waste in your system from eating more...sodium from restaurant food, etc. Mathematically it would be pretty difficult to put on 12 Lbs of actual fat in 14 days unless you were just going bananas.

Did you fly? Air travel causes significant bloating in many people. I can gain about 8-10 Lbs just getting on and off and airplane when I travel.
  • oliverwnc
    oliverwnc Posts: 69 Member
    Were you in a deficit before?

The previous comments are bang on - it's water, bloating and food in your system. It isn't fat.

I only ask about the deficit because don't forget that the effects would be exacerbated if you were previously depleted. Your body will have taken carbohydrates into your muscles, which in turn would store water. That can cause massive weight swings!

Hop on a healthy deficit for a couple of days and I'm sure you'll be fine.
  • Hypsibius
    Hypsibius Posts: 207 Member
    oliverwnc wrote: »
    Were you in a deficit before?

The previous comments are bang on - it's water, bloating and food in your system. It isn't fat.

I only ask about the deficit because don't forget that the effects would be exacerbated if you were previously depleted. Your body will have taken carbohydrates into your muscles, which in turn would store water. That can cause massive weight swings!

Hop on a healthy deficit for a couple of days and I'm sure you'll be fine.

Yup I was in a consistent 500 calorie daily deficit beforehand and low-carb (very few breads/grains other than quinoa, lots of veggies and lean proteins).
    cwolfman13 wrote: »

Most of it is water retention...some of it is likely fat, but most is water retention and more inherent waste in your system from eating more...sodium from restaurant food, etc. Mathematically it would be pretty difficult to put on 12 Lbs of actual fat in 14 days unless you were just going bananas.

Did you fly? Air travel causes significant bloating in many people. I can gain about 8-10 Lbs just getting on and off and airplane when I travel.

Yup flew from California to Ohio with a layover (so basically all day travel).

Thanks! I thought as much, but have never experienced a 12 pound upswing before (that I know of) so wanted to check in w/ the knowledgeable folks here.
  • Colorscheme
    Colorscheme Posts: 1,179 Member
    You just nailed it....you're used to eating lower carb right? well when you're used to a lower carb diet and then you eat starchy foods, you gain water weight because carbs bind to water. mystery solved :P
  • OhMsDiva
    OhMsDiva Posts: 1,074 Member
    Not saying it is true in your case but I have gained that amount on vacation and I exercised every day as well. Did I lose it, yes
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    Also, if you have been fairly low carb and then ate a lot more carbs on vacation, that's going to cause some water weight due to every gram of carbohydrate will hold 3 grams of water and you would have topped off your glycogen stores.
  • tjones0411
    tjones0411 Posts: 179 Member
    I came back from a 7-day vacation last month weighing 12 pounds more. I ate (and drank) my way through Italy without giving calories a 2nd thought. I tend to stick to low carb and ignored that completely too for all the pasta, pizza and gelato I could get my hands on. Between the food, the wine, and the airplane travel, I was a bloated hot mess (and totally worth it!) A month later, it's all gone, plus a couple of pounds!
  • sarahlifts
    sarahlifts Posts: 610 Member
    Its water. I had a life event where I needed to support a family member last week I started Sunday 6/11 at 136.2 by Friday morning 6/16 I was 146.7 lbs

that is pretty dangerous. I barely had 32 oz of water a day. I am on the mend and caring fro myself. Feeling better and down 3 lbs to 143.

Its water. get back to your regular eating and water intake and you should be fine in a week or so.