What's for lunch?

Options
2»

Replies

• lporter229
    lporter229 Posts: 4,907 Member
    Options
    praykathy wrote: »
    Leftovers-Bummer on the no-leftovers-for-lunch. That's how I make my lunches interesting. How about if you "served" the leftover first? Ya know, move it into the fridge before you sit down to eat dinner?

Me too. I cook all of my meals with the intention of having an extra serving for lunch the next day. I usually portion my lunch into a container as I portion the food onto the plate.

Today's lunch was leftover grilled chicken breast with quinoa and mixed grilled vegetables, all with homemade chimichurri sauce on top. Seedless red grapes for dessert/snack.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
    praykathy wrote: »
    Leftovers-Bummer on the no-leftovers-for-lunch. That's how I make my lunches interesting. How about if you "served" the leftover first? Ya know, move it into the fridge before you sit down to eat dinner?

Today--leftover salmon & peas from dinner over a bed of romaine lettuce with salad dressing. I purposely always cook enough salmon so I get it have it on a salad the next day. So yummy!

I also love Mexican on romaine lettuce with salsa instead of salad dressing. But if I make something specifically for lunch, it usually involves beans. Bean salad w/ homemade vinaigrette sauce, black beans & avocado, etc.

Yup...pretty much most of my lunches are leftovers...my wife and I purposefully make double portions so that we have dinner and lunch the next day...otherwise, it's a sandwich most of the time.
  • nicruns
    nicruns Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    It's been a brutal workweek & I've been lazy. So I picked a favourite vegetable (this week = red pepper) & a favourite fruit (9 times out of 10-- an apple), supplemented with part of a cucumber.
    Chopped that stuff up into relatively bite-sized pieces and threw them on a plate to eat while I work.
    + a protein source
    (today = cheese)
    it's far from perfect, but it's better than visiting our nearby cafe for takeout.
  • Moxie42
    Moxie42 Posts: 1,400 Member
    Options
    I always eat lunch at my desk so I stick to salads or sandwiches usually (to avoid heating things up and making the office smell), or sometimes I just snack throughout the day. Today for lunch I'm having 2 oz black forest ham, string cheese, and 2 clementines. That's a really light lunch for me so I have extra snacks- fruit and trail mix.
  • vnb_208
    vnb_208 Posts: 1,359 Member
    Options
    lazy day pack of bumblebee sriracha tuna over a mesclun salad mix
  • BoxerBrawler
    BoxerBrawler Posts: 2,032 Member
    Options
    I could literally live on salad and chicken, especially this time of year when I'm getting fresh lettuce and veggies out of my garden! Right now I am stuck on Romaine... so that, every and any raw veggie under the sun and 3 oz. of lean ground chicken or turkey. Every Sunday I cook a package and mix it with a little onion soup mix. Yum. I never get sick of it!
  • gettinthere
    gettinthere Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    I'll cut a red pepper in half and fill it with deli roast beef and cheese and throw it in the toaster oven at work for a bit, tastes like a philly cheese steak to me. Today it's a smokey and some cheese. Yesterday it was greek yogurt with strawberries and a few chocolate chips. Chicken salad on celery sticks. Egg salad in lettuce leaves. Pickles and olives usually on the side. I'll cut up a ham steak and put some slices in the toaster over.
  • vnb_208
    vnb_208 Posts: 1,359 Member
    Options
    I'll cut a red pepper in half and fill it with deli roast beef and cheese and throw it in the toaster oven at work for a bit, tastes like a philly cheese steak to me. Today it's a smokey and some cheese. Yesterday it was greek yogurt with strawberries and a few chocolate chips. Chicken salad on celery sticks. Egg salad in lettuce leaves. Pickles and olives usually on the side. I'll cut up a ham steak and put some slices in the toaster over.

The stuff pepper sounds amazing I'm going to try that!
  • abbynormalartist
    abbynormalartist Posts: 318 Member
    Options
    Spinach salad with feta, tomatoes, chicken, red onions, yellow peppers. With the feta and seasoned chicken, I don't need dressing.
  • trisH_7183
    trisH_7183 Posts: 1,486 Member
    Options
    Small salad with a boiled egg & leftover roasted mixed veggies.Huge bowl of watermelon.
  • jayemes
    jayemes Posts: 865 Member
    Options
    Poached eggs with ham, avocado and hot sauce and a peach

htfngg.jpg
  • ejbronte
    ejbronte Posts: 867 Member
    Options
    Salad of: Healthy Harvest pasta with chicken cutlet sliced up with spring mix salad greens, fresh basil from my front yard, sliced toasted onion and dressed with honey mustard salad dressing.
  • Aerona85
    Aerona85 Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    Homemade burrito bowl! Without the chips it is right around 400 cals. Sometimes I have chips, sometimes not. Depends on how the rest of my day looks. 1/2 cup cilantro-lime rice (I prefer basmati but usually just use jasmine as it is a ton cheaper), 1/4 cup black beans, 1/4 cup corn, 1/4 cup pico (usually make my own...tomato, jalapeño, purple onion, cilantro, lime juice, salt), 3 oz oven roasted chicken, taco seasoned (again, make my own in bulk, generally), .5 oz sharp cheddar.

I will make up 4-5 of these at once for the weeks lunches and freeze any extra ingredients (except for the pico) for future uses...more burrito bowls, quesadillas, soups, etc. Rice/beans/corn/chicken freezes ok. Not as good after freezing but nothing to scoff at either. dvr6s9kd6cw3.jpg
  • Sivadee00
    Sivadee00 Posts: 428 Member
    Options
  • shini26
    shini26 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Mesclun salad, 60g whole wheat bowtie pasta, green onion, 1/3 cup sweet potatoes, cucumber, blueberries, pinch of sumac and sesame oil dressing 302kcal
    lbfbo68p40me.jpg
  • Saltine24
    Saltine24 Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    If I don't have some kind of leftover or make a chicken and veggie stir fry on Sundays & always have homemade soup in the freezer as a quick go to. My soups usually have some sort of protein (chicken, turkey or beef) and is loaded with tons of veggies & I mean tons! At times I can barley stir the pot without spilling onto the sides. May be time to invest in a larger pot :D
  • TonyB0588
    TonyB0588 Posts: 9,520 Member
    Options
    Had a lovely piece of Salmon with my lunch today.
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,741 Member
    Options
    Lentils and fresh fruit or small fruit smoothie
    homemade (therefore somewhat "healthier") potato salad and choice of protein & veg (I like it with a veggie burger patty and broccoli)
    Tuna melts and sliced apples
    Split peas and cottage cheese
    Homemade tacos or taco salad
    Eggs with Sriracha and/or cheese and fruit or veggie
  • wefts
    wefts Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    vegetables and garlic with poached eggls7k5acldnax.jpg