Recipes for healthy Condiments

Options
2»

Replies

• lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    What is your definition of a healthy condiment recipe?
  • Czuni6
    Czuni6 Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    Healthy as in not too high in sodium and sugar
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    edited June 2017
    Options
    Czuni6 wrote: »
    Healthy as in not too high in sodium and sugar

My regular Heinz has 3.7g sugar per Tbsp serving which I don't find to be particularly much...some of that is naturally occurring sugar in the tomato.

Heinz makes no sugar added varieties as well...but they still have sugar 'cuz tomatoes.

ETA: I'm not fussed enough to try to make my own ketchup and mustard...I do make my own pico though 'cuz I can make it very fresh.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    I buy low sodium soy sauce. Vinegar can add zip and allow you to reduce salt. Some recipes are forgiving enough for you to replace the sugar with a substitute, but if you plan on caramelising, only sugar will do.

A home made condiment I make all the time is a home made vinaigrette using herbs from my garden. You can't get fresher than that. The dressing is much improved with a little salt though.
  • rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member
    Options
    Note on pico de gallo: I love putting tomatillos in it.

I also recently discovered dragon fruit salsa. Various kinds of home made salsas can be very healthy!
  • vegan4lyfe2012
    vegan4lyfe2012 Posts: 1,157 Member
    Options
    ckozbial wrote: »
    I found these 2 BBQ sauce recipes and will never buy store brands again.
    https://www.gimmesomeoven.com/homemade-bbq-sauce-recipe/
    https://www.google.ca/amp/www.food.com/amp/recipe/barbecue-sauce-no-ketchup-482219
    I've also wanted to make this ketchup recipe, but I don't use a lot of ketchup, so I haven't yet.
    http://skinnyms.com/homemade-healthy-ketchup/

That Gimme Some Oven recipe looks DIVINE! Thanks for sharing the link!
  • vegan4lyfe2012
    vegan4lyfe2012 Posts: 1,157 Member
    Options
    dklibert wrote: »
    I put Mrs Renfro's green salsa in everything. It's basically roasted, puréed jalapeños - I love the heat and love not having to mess with dicing jalapeños, just chuck a tablespoonful in.

I also use a lot of ponzu-type sauce, which is healthy if you're not watching sodium. Soy, diced green onion, red pepper flakes, lemon, mirin or rice vinegar, sometimes ginger or garlic, a little sesame oil. Good for marinading beef or chicken, or put it on vegetables for at least 15 minutes for a quick pickle.

Tzatziki sauce - Greek Yogurt, olive oil, basil and oregano, garlic, lemon juice, garlic salt.

I love these too! Try mixing 1 cup of Mrs Renfro's green salsa with a large avocado in a blender. A great spicy avocado cream for tacos.

That Spicy Avocado Cream sounds awesome!
  • HeidiCooksSupper
    HeidiCooksSupper Posts: 3,831 Member
    edited June 2017
    Options
    I like to "dress" green beans to make them feel decadent. Something sweet or fatty, mustard and something sour make a good dressing, e.g.
    -honey, dijon mustard & chopped cornichons
    -butter, whole grain mustard & dill relish
    -molasses, hot german mustard & capers
    -etc.
  • Czuni6
    Czuni6 Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    Thanks so much for the comments everyone, I really appreciate your input!