Tips for tired/sore hands

Any tips for how to push through when lifting heavy but your hands are getting tired/sore while gripping the barbells? I try not to break for too long between sets but other than putting down the barbells and shaking my hands out it can get brutal.

Replies

• rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    How short of rest periods are you taking?
    Sounds like you need to work on grip strength outside of your usual lifting
  • H_Ock12
    H_Ock12 Posts: 1,152 Member
    How tightly are you holding the bar? If you're holding with a death grip, try relaxing your grip a little. If you're using a traditional grip, try a hook grip.
  • susanp57
    susanp57 Posts: 409 Member
    Are you wearing gloves?
  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    How tightly are you holding the bar? If you're holding with a death grip, try relaxing your grip a little. If you're using a traditional grip, try a hook grip.

Death gripping the bar all the time is actually a great way to build grip strength. It just takes time.
  • canadianlbs
    canadianlbs Posts: 5,199 Member
    how long is 'too long' for you? you're supposed to rest between sets, at least as far as i know. that might depend on how heavy you're lifting, i guess . . . but still.

other question that comes to my mind is: what kind of sore? if it's muscle/tendon, a little time doing limbering up/mobility stuff before the real workout may help. if it's more in the joints themselves, check your wrist alignment. you should have a straight line right up the back of your forearm to the bottom knuckle of your fist, in order to eliminate leverage stress on your wrists.
  • boopster99
    boopster99 Posts: 48 Member
    I was having the same problem. I started doing a lot of forearm and grip work, did a lot of farmer's walks with kettlebells and tons of training days with the kettlebells. I think the farmer's carry helped the most - the large handles of the bigger kettlebells really seemed to make a difference. In addition I wrapped my hand towel around the barbells - increasing the grip width seemed to make a big difference. It took some time to improve, but it's gotten so much better.
  • sgt1372
    sgt1372 Posts: 3,997 Member
    edited June 2017
    Use gloves and straps, as needed.

People here will say that these will impair your grip development but IMO, if your hands get tired and sore, better to use them to do the lifts w/them than w/o.