Thai food - not sure what to get

Options
jemhh
jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
My office is ordering lunch on Thursday and I have no idea what to get. It's going to be from a Thai restaurant and I don't think I've ever had Thai food so I'm not sure what to order. I was hoping to get ideas. I'm not usually a big lunch eater and I'd like to limit protein to 30-40 grams, carbs to 50 grams and fat to 10 grams if at all possible (even lower on any of those is fine.) If I'd had this food before I might have an idea of where to start but I'm pretty lost. Here's the menu:

http://www.wildpapayaohio.com/lunch.html

Oh, and I don't mind spicy but I don't really like ginger.

Replies

• L1zardQueen
    L1zardQueen Posts: 8,754 Member
    Options
    Yum! Always Pad Thai but the mango curry sounds really good.
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options
    Thai food is awesome.

In your case, I'd probably recommend either the Thai Beef Salad - with the Tofu Vegetable Soup, if you can order both - or the Hot Beef, just eating a little (if any) rice. Not sure about the sauce on that one. The Wild Boar Basil and Ka-Pow look good, too. Again, just take it easy on the rice.

If you like it, try Drunken Noodles (from somewhere else, as this place doesn't have it) some time you don't mind having a big meal with more carbs.
  • Karen_DisneyFan
    Karen_DisneyFan Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    Oooo, they're in Kent - that's not far from me at all (Cuyahoga Falls)... gonna have to give this place a try!!
  • MissLuanaT
    MissLuanaT Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Chicken and sticky rice...my go to all the time.
  • court_alacarte
    court_alacarte Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    TR0berts wrote: »
    Thai food is awesome.

In your case, I'd probably recommend either the Thai Beef Salad - with the Tofu Vegetable Soup, if you can order both - or the Hot Beef, just eating a little (if any) rice. Not sure about the sauce on that one. The Wild Boar Basil and Ka-Pow look good, too. Again, just take it easy on the rice.

If you like it, try Drunken Noodles (from somewhere else, as this place doesn't have it) some time you don't mind having a big meal with more carbs.

i love me some good thai food. i would go with the above suggestions or anything from the "seafood offerings" portion, just take it easy on the rice.

pad see ew (spelled "you" on this menu) is my favorite thai go-to. if you're ever feeling like going over your macros one day, definitely give it a try!
  • tjones0411
    tjones0411 Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    My Thai go to is Ka Prow Kai Sub - it's ground chicken, basil, fresh chili, an over easy fried egg and fish sauce. It's usually served over rice, but I ignore that. I don't see it on the lunch menu at your place though...I'd probably stick with the Thai Beef Salad.
  • toxikon
    toxikon Posts: 2,384 Member
    Options
    It's all delicious! If you want to keep carbs to 50g or below you may want to skip the rice and noodle dishes, or only have a small portion of it. Some restaurants give you a ridiculous amount of rice.

I personally love chicken satay (grilled chicken on a stick served with a really tasty peanut sauce), Tom Yum soup (a spicy broth-based soup with veggies and a protein), and red chicken curry.

Pad Thai is very tasty, but also mostly noodles.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    Thank you for the suggestions! Both the beef salad and hot beef sound good. I might go with the latter and adjust my carbs later in the day so I can have the rice. I don't eat much rice so I'm not entirely sure how my portion eyeballing will go with it but we'll see.