how beneficial are fitness trackers?

Options
2»

Replies

• not_a_runner
    not_a_runner Posts: 1,343 Member
    Options
    I like being able to look at my overall activity (via steps). If I'm averaging 5k less than usual, I know I've got to get more activity or decrease calories. That being said, I don't really use it for calorie tracking as I haven't found it to be very accurate. Just overall daily activity.

I've also found sleep tracking to be insightful lately. A few weeks ago I got a notification that I was averaging an hour less per night, so I knew I needed to make sleep more of a priority than I had been.
  • mom2kateRH
    mom2kateRH Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    thanks everyone, this has been very helpful and given me a lot to think about. I think I need to really sit down and think about what my goals are--I really want to push my fitness, and I tend to get a little too comfortable in my workouts. I appreciate all the info.
  • erienneb66
    erienneb66 Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    I have a watch-Samsung Gear Fit 2-and while in itself it was not a magic gadget that made me do better, I find that when I wear it I am more likely to get my butt up and do more than just sit around. I like it. I don't use it to log calorie burns, but it helps me with my activity level. It also helps me monitor my anxiety because of the HR ability. I'm not looking for accurate HR measurement, which it cannot do, just a number to chart patterns for my own benefit and it is great in that regard.

Plus, it is a smart watch hooked to my phone which I find nice, I don't have to dig my phone out to respond to text questions or things like that.
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Options
    I'm something of a Luddite in this respect and see no need for hrms or smart watches or even smart phones. I take at face value the calorie burns the machines give me and eat back as much of those calories as I want. For non-machine exercises, I use various web sites which purport to calculate my burn for that activity. Again, I eat back as many of those calories as I wish. There have been a couple of times when I analysed my net calorie deficit over time and compared the mathematically predicted weight change with the actually measured weight change I did experience. The numbers agreed.
  • Bry_Fitness70
    Bry_Fitness70 Posts: 2,480 Member
    Options
    Heart rate monitors (as a whole at this point in time) do not do well with HIIT and weight lifting.

In comparison to the tables in MFP, my fitness tracker HRM calculated calorie burns are reasonably close for HIIT and strength training.
  • acbraswell
    acbraswell Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    I have a Garmin Forerunner 235 that has wrist-based HR monitor, activity tracker, etc. I run 3-4 days/week and strength train 2-3 days/week. All the bells and whistles aren't necessary, but kind of fun and motivational. For example, I compete in "challenges" through Garmin, such as weekly steps. I also like that the calorie burn is more accurate than if I were to estimate.
  • mizchikee
    mizchikee Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I recently got a Garmin Vivoactive HR, and I really like it. Yes, it's a little step happy, but the GPS is dead on accurate, and I even clocked accurate bike speed - my husband has a Garmin with full bike sensors, and he paced me on a bike with no sensors, so we could compare results. You can also pair it with Strava for saving routes, and (I'm still working this one out), I believe one of the apps you can download MIGHT (big might there), be able to help with turn by turn directions, which is nice for me, as I have a visual impairment, and if I get a wrist buzz to warn me of a pending turn, that would be awesome. I'll have to get back on that little thing though.
  • juanwilly
    juanwilly Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    Bry_Lander wrote: »
    I think that fitness trackers are great for people who love technology, data, and fitness.

I have a Garmin Fenix 3 HR, and it tracks my continuous HR, steps, miles, stairs ascended, sleep, and exercise metrics. It is also a watch, altimeter, barometer, compass, has GPS capabilities, and tells me when the sun will next rise and set. It is waterproof and has a sapphire face that makes it extremely difficult to scratch or break. I have multiple customizable watch faces available as well as watch bands that I can swap out; I use the silicone one for running and a titanium one for work (it goes nicely with business attire.) No, I don’t work for Garmin, I just love their products ;)

Having a fitness tracker provides actionable data to allow me to make better fitness decisions (Vo2 max, step cadence, BMR, etc.) IMO, consistency is the most important aspect of fitness. Sometimes the daily pursuit of consistency gets boring and having a fitness tracker tends to make it more interesting.

I use my Garmin Vivosmart HR+ religiously! Seriously agree with the above info. It becomes a living part of your personality--tracking sleep, all activity, HR, workouts--nearly every aspect of your life! I had a Fitbit Charge HR and it was like a toy in comparison. And you couldn't read the screen outside in the sunlight!

As stated above, actionable data is valuable! Additionally, the new Garmin Connect site for your mobile and your laptop provides you with an overabundance of information about you and your activity history! More than you could ever need! I do NOT work for Garmin either!

Buy one, you will love it!

• stephanne13
    stephanne13 Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    mhwitt74 wrote: »
    The ones I have tried don't work for me. They never gave accurate HR and the kicker is that counted walking distance while I was on my riding mower! LOL. I don't even bother with one anymore.

My Garmin Vivosmart HR counts steps while I'm standing in my kitchen chopping vegetables..
  • alondrakayy
    alondrakayy Posts: 304 Member
    Options
    I say if you have the money - do your research and treat yourself to the best one. But you can reach your goals without a fitness tracker. It's been done before and there's no reason we can't do it now. I have one simply to confirm that I had a killer workout... but I don't track the calories burned. So it seems like a waste of money but for me it's not. It was a gift to myself and makes me happy knowing I had an active day!
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    mhwitt74 wrote: »
    The ones I have tried don't work for me. They never gave accurate HR and the kicker is that counted walking distance while I was on my riding mower! LOL. I don't even bother with one anymore.

My Garmin Vivosmart HR counts steps while I'm standing in my kitchen chopping vegetables..

I hate to imagine how violently you're doing that.
  • 0519newby
    0519newby Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    dubble818 wrote: »
    I use a Fitbit Blaze. It looks like a sporty watch rather then a fitness band. I appreciate that. As for benefits, I like knowing how much sleep I'm getting every week. Seeing improvements in my resting heart rate is good motivation for sticking with my fitness regimen. I walk a lot at work and I'm always first in my group of friends for most steps taken. It motivates me to stick with things more than anything.

The HR monitors with straps are cumbersome and a pain in the butt IMO. I had a polar that I wound up selling. The Blaze is just second nature to wear for me.

• 0519newby
    0519newby Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I have the fit bit blaze and I'm starting to wonder how accurate it is? I went to lake Powell last week, left it at home and it was still counting calories burned the whole week I didn't wear it. I also have an Apple Watch replaced it with the blaze. What would be the best fitness tracker for accurate if someone was to go out and purchase one?
  • Rusty740
    Rusty740 Posts: 749 Member
    edited June 2017
    Options
    You need one of these, now, well, after you sell your kidney. (Says current very biased owner of Vivosmart HR and Fenix 3HR). I find mine's pretty accurate actually. I use them for cardio, lifting and I play hockey with my vivosmart HR. They're pretty tough.

I got you the white one, but I couldn't afford the maps, sapphire or HRM bundle. You should probably save up for the sapphire :)

bbb7welkrbru.jpg