Macros not adding up to calorie requirement

Options
MsEllaTY
MsEllaTY Posts: 10 Member
Hi,
I am new to the whole macro thing and am having a hard time figuring something out. I calculated what my daily calories should be and then divided it up into 4 meals per day and then converted it to grams according to the macro split I am doing. The problem is when I input the foods, the grams are correct but the calorie count is way lower than what it should be. What is going on with that? Thanks for any help

Replies

• livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,751 Member
    Options
    Have you checked all of your entries - many might be inaccurate or missing information
  • SolotoCEO
    SolotoCEO Posts: 293 Member
    Options
    Have you checked all of your entries - many might be inaccurate or missing information

This sounds like the most logical problem. I just ran mine - I eat at 1200 calories with 90g of protein, 90g carbs, and 53 fat. With Protein and Carbs at 4 calories per gram (180x4=720) and fat at 9 calories per gram (53x9=477) that ads up to 1197. So it really is right on target.
  • CyberTone
    CyberTone Posts: 7,337 Member
    Options
    The manufacturers of some packaged items in the US markets choose to subtract the Calories from Dietary Fiber when calculating Total Calories; however, US FDA regulations require those manufacturers who do that to still list all Dietary Fiber in the Total Carbohydrates. That normally is the main reason that Total Calorie estimates may be lower than the summation of Calories contributed by Total Carbohydrates, Fats, and Protein.

See my detailed explanation in this recent comment to a similar thread here...

Calories and macros don't add up.