Cardio: how much is too much?

Options
How much cardio do you do each day and what kind? Do you do some sort of cardio everyday? How much is too much?

Replies

• SABoj
    SABoj Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    Everyone has different goals... so one size doesn't fit all. What are your goals?

I personally believe that a mix of cardio & strength training is a good (and comprehensive) way to get healthier. Strength training 3X per week and I limit cardio to 2-3X per week. (Yoga counts as cardio in my book.) good luck!
  • markswife1992
    markswife1992 Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    i do cardio every day. i do the elliptical (i have one at home) about 3x/week and some sort of crossfit or HIIT 7 days a week. i also ride my bike or go on frequent walks.
  • markswife1992
    markswife1992 Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    I also do weight lifting 2-3 days a week, usually two.
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Options
    Actual cardio in the gym, 1-2x per week, some plyo circuits or interval training and some stair climber on my non lifting days. Otherwise I am generally active and on my feet most of the day. Plus I am breastfeeding a toddler so I am burning a few extra cals there so I don't want to overdo my deficit
  • estherdragonbat
    estherdragonbat Posts: 5,283 Member
    Options
    I do cardio every day, but what I do (and how much burned) varies. I try to walk for about 2 hours OR do one hour on a fitness glider. If I walk 2 hours or more, no glider. Under an hour, glider. Between one and two hours, it varies. Sometimes I do the glider. Sometimes I do a combined dumbbell-and-cardio interval workout (not intense enough to qualify as HIIT; I log it as 'light calisthenics').

I also strength train at home with dumbbells, tubes, bands, and a stability ball 3 times a week.
  • spiriteagle99
    spiriteagle99 Posts: 3,689 Member
    edited June 2017
    Options
    I walk every day for 2-3 miles. I usually hike longer one day a week. I run about 40 mpw. On xt day I'll do stationary bike for 45 minutes or so. That works for me. I enjoy running long races, so need to maintain a decent aerobic base.

You, OTOH, have a different schedule, and different goals. How much time are you willing to spend exercising? Why? I know people who run 70 mpw and others who only run once a week. It's up to you.

Too much is if you are either getting injured or if you are not doing other things that are important to you.
  • x_desertcolt_x
    x_desertcolt_x Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    hate cardio but try to get in an hour or so of hiking each lunchtime
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    How much? In summer months c. 34 hours a month cycling, that's 550+ miles. Wide range of distance and duration from 1hr to 8+ hrs rides.

Daily? No.

How much is too much? For who? You? Me? There is no general answer.
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options
    There is no "too much" that fits all. I do cardio almost every day, alternating running and walking, with hikes thrown in here and there. The amount of cardio I do now is not too much for me. I don't have overuse injuries and I recover brilliantly. This same amount would have been way too much for me a few years ago when the most I could do is walk for 5 minutes, and I did manage to get an overuse injury when I decided to ramp up my cardio time too much too soon.
  • pacingoamy
    pacingoamy Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    There is no 'too much' but I think you will know when you are doing too little.

Cardio and a bit of yoga is all I do at the moment because I have 3 very active tween and teen children. I play Mom taxi and since we live in the mountains, can get a good walk, jog or hike in while they are at their activities. It's not ideal, but I'm proud that I was able to sneak *something* in and take care of myself. My 'minimum' is 10k steps 5 days a week. I take walk breaks & lunches from my office job to hit that goal. The GOAL each week is to double that number 2-3 times a week (usually through a jog or hike).
  • deannalfisher
    deannalfisher Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    depends on your goals - I'm an endurance triathlete, so I have cardio 5-6 days a week on my training plan and then supplement with strength training during the season; off-season is more focused on strength/yoga
  • rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member
    edited June 2017
    Options
    I'm a diabetic. Freelance computer artist, so unless I make an effort I'm completely sedentary. If I don't do some sort of cardio every day I see it in my blood glucose numbers the next day. However, I get better results with shorter, higher intensity workouts. My default is 15 minutes of HIIT on stationary bike. However, I try to switch it up so my body doesn't get adjusted to my workouts - sometimes I do tabata cycling or other tabata, sometimes I walk, sometimes I do Zumba or Bollywood dancing. I do strength 6 times a week arms, legs, abs, repeat, rest). This is kind of a weird strength routine but I get better blood sugar readings if I do some heavy strength training every day, so I try to spread it out so each body part gets a chance to recover.

When I say HIIT I mean that 15 minutes leaves me sopping wet with sweat. When I get used to my current level, I crank up the resistance and go faster. As for tabata, it's only 4 minutes plus warm up and cool down, but should be a maximum effort - if it's not the longest 4 minutes of your life, you're not doing it right.

Some studies have found that long periods of steady state cardio during a period of calorie restriction leads to muscle loss. I've gotten really excellent results from short periods of high intensity - my A1c dropped from 11 to 4.9 and I've been averaging 10 lbs / month weight loss - so I'm not itching to spend more time doing it. This may change later if I decide I want to train for some specific goal, such as a race.
  • Soundwave79
    Soundwave79 Posts: 469 Member
    Options
    I do HIIT twice a week between lifting days and I try for atleast 1 day of steady state cardio in my regime. I also walk a couple of miles everyday at work during my break. So for me 3 days heavy lifting, 2 days Insanity, 1 day of either a long run or if the weather is bad I have a spin bike and do a spin class of some sort.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    Between running, swimming and cycling I'm probably doing 1 to 2 hrs of cardio per day (I also do strength training 2 to 3 times per week) but that's also because I'm training for a triathlon.

As others have said "too much" depends entirely on your goals. I would certainly recommend that if you're going to do some kind of cardio every or most days make sure that your mixing up impact & intensity to allow sufficient recovery (you can walk, cycle & swim at moderate paces 365 days a year as there's no real recovery needed but if you were doing more intense workouts then you'd want to alternate days)
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    Options
    Too much cardio is dependant on one's goals and if cardio is inhibiting you from reaching them.
  • OldAssDude
    OldAssDude Posts: 1,436 Member
    edited June 2017
    Options
    I think the CDC recommends 1 to 3 sessions of muscular and 3 to 5 sessions of cardio for a well balanced plan. They also recommend 150 minutes per week of exercise to maintain fitness level, and double (300 minutes per week) to improve fitness level.
  • MelanieCN77
    MelanieCN77 Posts: 4,047 Member
    Options
    I do a minimum of 20 mins cardio every day. I'll do 20 mins on the rower, elliptical or stair stepper before I go on to whatever strength I am working on that day, or I'll do more cardio. I usually end up with 60-90 mins of deliberate exercise activity per day.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
    I try to do some kind of cardio most days...at least 5 days per week. Right now I'm not training for anything in particular, so it's just general fitness and nothing major. My week day rides are typically 10 miles in the AM and that takes me about 35 minutes before work. Once per week I do either a sprint interval session or hill repeats. I usually do a 20-30 mile ride on the weekend and typically hit the climbing gym on either a Saturday or Sunday for an hour or two. I lift 2x per week.

I think "too much" would very much depend on one's objectives. My bodybuilding friends don't typically do much cardio...maybe a jog a couple times per week for like 1.5 miles and some walking...they spend most of their fitness time lifting and per discussions with them, they don't do much cardio because they already have to eat a lot and don't want to or can't eat more to fill the void that more cardio would leave.

Endurance athletes are going to obviously do much more cardio. When I'm training for an event, I do a lot more cardio than when I'm just exercising for general fitness.
  • fitin50s2
    fitin50s2 Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    I generally do some form of cardio 5x per week. I run 2-3x (12-18 miles total) and then either do indoor or (most recently) outdoor cycling. I used to do a lot of rowing which I do very sporadically these days. It has to be fun for me or forget it - won't do it. I refuse to do it just to burn calories.

I also balance it out with weights and this year heavily focused on gentle yoga.
  • branflakes1980
    branflakes1980 Posts: 2,516 Member
    Options
    As most people have said, it is totally dependent on each individual's goals. I lift 5 days a week, and do cardio after every one of those workouts. Leg day and back day get followed by 20 minutes of High Intensity Intervals on the stair mill. Chest day, arm day and shoulder day get followed by 30-45 minutes of treadmill walking (2.8 mph at a 15 incline) Find what works for you. Good luck. :smile: