Vegetarian Runners (specific, I know)

Options
nowine4me
nowine4me Posts: 3,985 Member
Help. I started eating vegetarian (almost vegan) about 2 months ago, so it's still fairly new. The only exceptions, which are not new to my diet are yogurt and a bit of cheese. Here's the rub, I run at 6 am in the morning and have not been able to get through one complete 35 min run without having to poop. Luckily, there's a clean public restroom on my route. But it's killing my training times. Will this "pass" or do I need to find room for running later in the day? I don't have time in the morning to wait....

Replies

• amorfati601070
    amorfati601070 Posts: 2,862 Member
    edited June 2017
    Options
    This anecdotal and I've since transitioned to cycling as my main sport...but anyways. I ending up developing pretty consistent and routine bowel movements when adjusting to plant-based. I would always be able to "go" first thing when I wake up. I think part of it has to to with eating on a consistent pattern and drinking enough water.
  • muedra52
    muedra52 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Wake up earlier; you need to find time in the morning to "wait." Having a little caffeine and/or food can help the process along. :)
  • Vladimirnapkin
    Vladimirnapkin Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    I agree with @muedra52
  • mom2kateRH
    mom2kateRH Posts: 178 Member
    edited June 2017
    Options
    Do you eat before you run? I run in the morning, too. Way too hot in the afternoon, but I do not eat before I run, and have no "bathroom needs" on my run. I know not eating before running is frowned on in some circles, but it works for me. as soon as I eat breakfast.....nature calls.

So, I think either wake up earlier and see if you can go before you run (although, it may be the running itself that is triggering the need), or don't eat or eat less before your am run

I'm not exclusively vegetarian, but mostly vegetarian.
  • girlinahat
    girlinahat Posts: 2,956 Member
    Options
    did you have an issue BEFORE you became vegetarian? Were you a poop first thing person before then? Any change in diet is likely to spark a change in bowel activity. Have you tried coffee before you head out to spur things along?

Pretty much the first thing I do in the morning is poop. There you go, you now know more about me than you ever wanted. :)
  • bigmuneymfp
    bigmuneymfp Posts: 2,235 Member
    Options
    Stop the clock during pooping
  • Africaisnuts
    Africaisnuts Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    When you get started on a vegetarian/vegan lifestyle you experience that because your colon is getting cleaner, you wont have this "problem in a coulpe of weeks "
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    Options
    Did you USED to go in the morning?

Anecdotal, but i've been vegetarian forever and i don't experience this. I think it's pretty normal to have a certain time you "go" everyday, or if you're eating lots and lots of fiber however many times a day. For me this is late afternoon, but i know plenty of people that get bitchy and feel terrible unless they go first thing in the morning.

I don't know how to solve the problem for you other than to suggest waking up earlier and drinking coffee to stimulate the situation, or eating less late at night.