Why I Can't Lose Weight?

Options
2»

Replies

• Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    You don't make any mention of the most important thing for weight loss - CALORIES. Eat in a calorie deficit to lose weight. "Healthy" is great but if you're not in a calorie deficit you're not going to lose weight.
  • cerise_noir
    cerise_noir Posts: 5,468 Member
    Options
    natashab61 wrote: »
    Hi this is my two cents. Reduce fruits and replace with veggies. Fruits tend to be full of sugars and carbs. They are great in moderation. So try to replace fruits with veggies (you know the ones you'd rather not).
    No.
    Sugars and carbs are not responsible for not losing weight, too many calories are.
  • indiacaitlin
    indiacaitlin Posts: 691 Member
    Options
    Are you weighing/measuring everything you eat accurately? It's very easy to overeat if you aren't. Like others have said, the most important thing is calories in vs calories out, so work out what you're putting in first of all and go from there :smile:
  • namelesshere
    namelesshere Posts: 334 Member
    Options
    Congratulations on changing your diet to include healthy choices. Great first step! Now, as other posters have said, invest in a digital food scale and use it religiously to count the calories you are eating. The nice thing is you can always exercise more to offset extra calories. Use the website the way it was intended and you will see results. Eventually the food scale use becomes a habit and only takes a few seconds out of your meal prep time.
  • bethannien
    bethannien Posts: 556 Member
    Options
    Seriously, the food scale has changed the way I eat completely. It adds no real time to my food prep and my weight loss is consistent when I do it.

I've had a pretty healthy diet since I had kids but its really easy to overeat even a healthy diet. Two servings of a healthy entree is still two servings.

If you just log an apple without weighing it, you don't REALLY know how much you ate. Little things like that are no big deal on their own but a little more apple than you thought here, a bit more peanut butter there, a larger piece of chicken than you thought, etc adds up and can quickly wipe out any deficit you think you have.
  • Lizzy622
    Lizzy622 Posts: 3,705 Member
    Options
    Are you stressed or depressed? Mental issues are sometimes as powerful as physical ones. Our bodies produce some powerful chemicals in response to stress that can also effect weight loss efforts. I find meditation, yoga and walking outside to be powerful methods of combating my stress.
  • snickerscharlie
    snickerscharlie Posts: 8,578 Member
    Options
    OP, you are eating too many calories or you would be losing weight. Healthy =/= lower calorie a lot of the time.
  • Hearts_2015
    Hearts_2015 Posts: 12,031 Member
    Options
    i've been on my diet for 2 month, i eat healthy,all i eat is oats,fruits,protein like eggs,meats, all healthy meal,i'm doing exercise too, but i don't see any change in my body and my weight,someone can give me advice?

@intaniaadinda Hi! Welcome to MFP, glad you're here! I'm sorry you haven't seen any results yet on the scale, there could several reasons why. Have you measured yourself using a tape measure? That's a great way to start out as well. If the scale doesn't move at times you can see changes using the tape measure. You can do it yourself or have a friend help you but always do it in the same place and be consistent. :smiley:

When you share the types of food you're eating, how do you measure them? Do you just pick out an apple or do you put it on a food scale to see how much it weighs and then look it up to see what to put on your food diary? How about oats, meats, any solid foods are more accurate when weighed on a food scale. Liquid can be measured using liquid measuring cups. I live in the US so typically we use ounces and grams, I'm not sure of your location but you would use what's common to you for weighing and measuring. :smile: .

You're welcome to PM me if you need some more help or ask anyone on the thread. Members on MFP really do want to help new people understand how this all works. It's pretty simple once you get the hang of it, but weighing food and using the other MFP tools really does work to drop the weight and help build the confidence.

Check out the Success stories, they are so inspiring, you'll be amazed!
  • Hearts_2015
    Hearts_2015 Posts: 12,031 Member
    Options
    bethannien wrote: »
    Seriously, the food scale has changed the way I eat completely. It adds no real time to my food prep and my weight loss is consistent when I do it.

I've had a pretty healthy diet since I had kids but its really easy to overeat even a healthy diet. Two servings of a healthy entree is still two servings.

If you just log an apple without weighing it, you don't REALLY know how much you ate. Little things like that are no big deal on their own but a little more apple than you thought here, a bit more peanut butter there, a larger piece of chicken than you thought, etc adds up and can quickly wipe out any deficit you think you have.

Great points, apples are a great example! I always try to buy the smallest apples in a bag. Even the small ones vary so much, some are the same size but vary by how solid they are. I can't always guess by looking at one or even holding it and comparing.

I enjoy using the food scale, building salads etc. Crazy, I know but I do enjoy building meals on it. :laugh:
  • cee134
    cee134 Posts: 33,711 Member
    Options
    0riu6nw3inb9.jpg
  • SusanMFindlay
    SusanMFindlay Posts: 1,804 Member
    Options
    Dvdgzz wrote: »
    Dvdgzz wrote: »
    wcgenius wrote: »
    sugar is sugar no matter where it comes from.

What do you mean by that?

I would guess they mean that all sugar whether free or added is treated the same way by the human body.

And they'd be right.

Why is it relevant to the topic? The OP is getting too many calories. Sugar isn't going to hinder him if he is in a deficit, so not sure why he mentioned it.

It may not have been the best way of phrasing it but, given the follow-up sentence about how there are surprisingly many calories in many foods, I took it as trying to point out that there is sugar (and therefore calories) in fruit so you need to log the fruit accurately. Many people - especially those with a Weight Watchers background - think that they don't need to log fruit and vegetables. If the OP falls into this category, it would explain the lack of weight loss.