NSV: Great visit with my Doctor

Options
GiveMeCoffee
GiveMeCoffee Posts: 3,556 Member
So 2 months ago my doctor and I set a goal that if I lost 25 pounds before my appointment, he wouldn't charge me for the visit. Well I came up 1 pound short. But I'm definitely good with that. I've come such a long way in 7 months. His comment when he saw me was "Wow you look like a totally new person!"

Spending Christmas in the hospital was what made it click for me, I had spent the last year of my life absolutely miserable. The only time I went out of the house was to see a doctor and get more medicines that were just creating new problems for me.

Sitting in a frame on my desk is the restrictions my doctor put me on in January that says Do not stand for more then 5 minutes at a time, no walking, no lifting over 5 lbs. 24/7 oxygen soon to be started. So my life was struggle to get out of bed, waddle myself to my computer chair and sit here. And I accepted that for over a year! Think it was my worst year ever, I'm too young to be living like this. I keep it right in front of me with a picture of where I was when I started to remind me just how far I've come.

Here's where I started:
nxgfp.jpg

Well it clicked I can not continue like this, doctors were trying everything but I was getting worse. I failed a 6 minute walk for a pulmonary function test (I walked for 45 seconds before my heart rate went to 182) So I made the decision its my life and if I want to live my life I damn well better start doing something about it.

That change started with just cleaning up my nutrition some, nothing drastic. Get rid of the cream in my coffee 3 pots a day that's a lot of cream lol Once I started making some small changes in my diet, and got it to where I was eating good delicious foods but not a weeks worth in one sitting. I had dropped a few pounds.

Now I knew I had to move some, cause I was as sedentary as you can be. So I set an alarm on my email that said GET OFF YOUR A** stand up. At first I would stand up once an hour not for long but I would do it. That's all just stand. Then I started walking around the house. Now my favorite I got a mini bike, under my desk I pedaled for 3 minutes and thought I would die. Breathing treatments like crazy to do it, heart rate scary levels but I did it. This evolved into getting a new stationary bike, once I wore out the mini bike, now I ride 10-30 miles and I love it. I've completed 30 Day Shred, now am starting to lift, nothing serious but more then just lifting my coffee cup.

Ok well now that I've made you read all of that let's get to the medical improvement which is my main focus:

Last time I saw my pulmonologist was in May:

24 pounds lost since May 17th, in January I was on 14 different prescriptions, well that just got lowered to 9! (I'm not counting the antibiotics lol)

BP
February 131/104
May 17th 117/81
Today 106/62

Resting Heart Rate
February 146
May 17th 91
Today: 71

Oxygen level
February 92
May 17th 96
Today: 94 (but I also found out I have strep throat, sinus and ear infections) 6 months ago that would have probably landed me in the Emergency room

We made the same deal for my next appointment which is in 3 months October 22nd the new goal is 30 pounds for the free visit! Will I get there? I don't know but I will work my butt off every day to aim for that goal, because I know every pound I lose is putting me 1 step closer to being healthier!

29yf5mc.jpg

If you read all this I'm sorry! But, one thing to remember nothing is impossible!

“Impossible is not a fact. It's an opinion. Impossible is not a declaration. It's a dare. Impossible is potential. Impossible is temporary. Impossible is nothing.” –Muhammad Ali

Replies

• SkinnyMel78
    SkinnyMel78 Posts: 434 Member
    Options
    Amazing! You are such an inspiration! You should be very proud of yourself. :smile:
  • lifechanger30
    lifechanger30 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    THE BEST NSV I HAVE READ SO FAR!!! Amazing, cannot wait to read another success story from you <3:drinker:
  • tazzy2911
    tazzy2911 Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    Jen you are simply amazing and inspirational! Great work lady!
  • CindyRip
    CindyRip Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    You have taken some small changes and morphed them into incredible accomplishments. When I look at your story, it serves to remind me that committing to change no matter how small (seemingly) is the beginning of a whole new life. That said " 1 pound" you should have listened to me (grins). Awesome day for you and an even better NSV.
  • GiveMeCoffee
    Options
    You have taken some small changes and morphed them into incredible accomplishments. When I look at your story, it serves to remind me that committing to change no matter how small (seemingly) is the beginning of a whole new life. That said " 1 pound" you should have listened to me (grins). Awesome day for you and an even better NSV.

Yes I should have listened to you and stripped before getting on the scale lol Cindy you inspire me every day we're both going to be healthier and really start living life!
  • GiveMeCoffee
    Options
    THE BEST NSV I HAVE READ SO FAR!!! Amazing, cannot wait to read another success story from you <3:drinker:

Thank you!! :)
  • GiveMeCoffee
    Options
    Jen you are simply amazing and inspirational! Great work lady!

Thanks hun!! One day I'll be out there beating my hubby in tennis too! :)
  • JoelleAnn78
    JoelleAnn78 Posts: 1,492 Member
    Options
    This is truly inspiring! Amazing dedication and the changes in your BP and O2 are incredible! Astounding success!
  • abeare
    abeare Posts: 510 Member
    Options
    Amazing! Be proud of yourself!
  • michellechawner
    Options
    This is fabulous!!!!

JUST WOW!

Sometimes you need to take the small steps to get to the bigger picture - I did when I was diagnosed with Fibro. I was in so much pain, I could barely walk 10 steps without my muscles feeling like they were on fire. I too was on restrictive duty at work. Only allowed to stand 5 minutes every hour, no lifting anything over 10 pounds.

Now, i'm working in the work warehouse lifting 30 pound boxes daily, walking on lunch breaks, and feel GREAT. they are talking about reducing my medications too!

I can't wait to see where you are in October!
  • GiveMeCoffee
    Options
    Amazing! You are such an inspiration! You should be very proud of yourself. :smile:

Thank you!!! I'm very proud and also very thankful for my wonderful MFP friends that helped push me every day!
  • melissan84
    melissan84 Posts: 493 Member
    Options
    amazing progress, so proud of you girl!!
  • GiveMeCoffee
    Options
    This is fabulous!!!!

JUST WOW!

Sometimes you need to take the small steps to get to the bigger picture - I did when I was diagnosed with Fibro. I was in so much pain, I could barely walk 10 steps without my muscles feeling like they were on fire. I too was on restrictive duty at work. Only allowed to stand 5 minutes every hour, no lifting anything over 10 pounds.

Now, i'm working in the work warehouse lifting 30 pound boxes daily, walking on lunch breaks, and feel GREAT. they are talking about reducing my medications too!

I can't wait to see where you are in October!

Thank you!! That's awesome thank you for the inspiration!! Hope to hear your medications get reduced!
  • MFPRat
    MFPRat Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    Congratulations! I am so proud of you!
  • 26banker
    26banker Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    good inspiration
  • sandikegz
    sandikegz Posts: 66
    Options
    And this is why you are one of my favorite MFP's!!! Truly amazing transformation. Keep up the good work, you can do ANYTHING you put your mind to and you are living proof!!!!
  • rhondaec
    rhondaec Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    This is definitely a NSV and more.... This is so inspirational...I don't know you but i'm so proud of you. Way to go!!!
  • hproskie
    hproskie Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    So inspiring! You look great- it looks like you're aging in reverse!
  • jenncaroon
    jenncaroon Posts: 91
    Options
    Good for you! Your doc must be pretty awesome! He or she obviously cares for you as a person not just a patient. But you, the success is yours. Thanks for sharing your journey...so inspiring!
  • srgtbiggles
    srgtbiggles Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    Wow, outstanding progress! You are really committed to change and it shows!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!