Exactly 4 weeks now Diet Soda......

Options
Justice2012
Justice2012 Posts: 84 Member
I have always wanted to post more in this section but I have not seen a lot of results until now. I USED to drink diet coke every single day, like 3 times a day. It was awful. I am glad to report that I have not had a sip for 4 weeks. Maybe that does not sound like a success story, but for me it is. I was addicted to it. I do not drink nor smoke, but I would classify coming off of diet coke the way an addict comes off of heroin. It was that strong in me.

The past month has been tough. I wanted to give in soooo many times. I felt worse before I felt better. The worse part is over now. The first 30 days are hell. I am soooo glad it is over. I won.

Hope I inspire/encourage someone, because I know that I have been drinking it for years and years...like 7 years or something crazy like that. It was an addiction. Thirty days without soda is like a miracle. The longest I have gone without it. I mean business now! I plan on sticking with it. I don't want to touch it ever again. Not even a sip. It is like an alcoholic going back to drinking again after falling off the wagon. I do not want to play with fire. I am just now barely getting out of it. . So glad. No pics yet, but I promise they are coming soon.....

EDIT: Sorry for the typo in the topic....."Exactly 4 weeks NO Diet Soda."

Replies

• prettypaula96
    prettypaula96 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Kudos to you! I literally grew up on Diet Coke (it was the go to drink for my parents who were concerned about forming diabetes) and am hardcore addicted to it. Whenever I am trying to stop drinking it, I am pissier than when I'm pmsing, and the headaches are horrible. Now, I limit it to once a week, if that.... I just don't have the heart to waste the money on something that is ultimately killing me.
  • alichristiana
    alichristiana Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    That stuff should be a controlled substance! Very well done for getting off the soda, my brother was addicted and I saw how much he struggled to quit with being hooked to cola (easily over 2 litres a day)
  • conniedj
    conniedj Posts: 470 Member
    Options
    Sounds like success to me! congrats on kicking a bad habit to the curb! What, may I ask, did you replace it with?
  • Justice2012
    Options
    WATER...but of course! :drinker:
  • Justice2012
    Options
    I remember earlier in the year coming into this forum and expressing how much I could not quit diet soda and complaining and whining etc.....lol

The next thing on my list is putting down the sugar....getting rid of it out of my diet.

I feel motivated because of my success with quitting diet soda. Nothing is stopping me now except me :)
  • tangerine6392
    tangerine6392 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Awesome job! Sunday will mark 5 weeks of no pop for me :)
  • slim4health56
    slim4health56 Posts: 439 Member
    Options
    A HUGE congrats to ALL of you who have thrown out this stuff! I'm off Coke (the "real thing") for 26 days. I can easily suck down a six pack a day (and was). Your success is inspiring - way to go!
  • ProgressNotPerfection32
    ProgressNotPerfection32 Posts: 1,155 Member
    Options
    Good for you!!!! I'm glad you posted this. I've started (and stopped) trying to quiet diet ANYTHING for months now and haven't been successful. I have 2 kids, 1 step kid and I teach, I hate the crankiness that comes with withdrawal. I commend you for being so strong, it's def an inspiration for me!!! Thank you!
  • conniedj
    conniedj Posts: 470 Member
    Options
    I remember earlier in the year coming into this forum and expressing how much I could not quit diet soda and complaining and whining etc.....lol

The next thing on my list is putting down the sugar....getting rid of it out of my diet.

I feel motivated because of my success with quitting diet soda. Nothing is stopping me now except me :)

We stopped doing processed sugar ( the white stuff) in my house a while ago--with a couple of exceptions: Ice cream!! When we do have sweet treats I try to do organic to eliminate processed sugar ( most use evaporated cane juice). And I use raw honey for my coffee and cooking.

Quitting successfully is empowering you to quit the next thing! Go for it! Just know that there are many non-processed sugar options out there!!!
  • pgrewing
    pgrewing Posts: 15
    Options
    Way to go! I too have recently given up diet soda (nearly 2 months now) after a nearly 10 year habit. The second month is not nearly as hard as the first, and I have decided I'm never ever going to drink even 1 diet soda ever again. I will allow myself a regular non-diet soda occasionally, but for me it does not seem to have the same addictive qualities.

I think the key in everything is moderation, and I have found I just can't drink diet soda in moderation.

Kudos to you and thanks for sharing!
  • Kaylee_law_123
    Kaylee_law_123 Posts: 450 Member
    Options
    Well done! I'm a Pepsi Max addict, and I now have to hide my addiction from my husband as he HATES that I drink it (says the man that drinks Coke!!),

BUT it has helped me get my diet in control as it was one thing that I could still have within my calories that didn't make a huge difference,

I think it is something I am going to tackle a bit further down my weight loss track, once I really have the diet under control and not still feeling "limited".

Thanks for sharing :-)
  • rgugs13
    rgugs13 Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    Congrats!!! Quitting soda is a big thing, but I promise it gets easier the longer you go! I quit a while ago, maybe 6 years now? I grew up on diet sodas because that is what my parents drank. I didn't think about how unhealthy it was until college, when I finally quit. I have it now and again, but I usually only drink clear sodas like Sprite or 7 Up if I'm going to have one. (And it usually has alcohol in it, but only 1x a month!) :drinker: The thing is, they are so sweet now I can't drink it all! I normally drink water or iced tea (I'm drinking iced jasmine green tea right now!). When I just have to have some bubbly soda, I drink soda water with lime squeezed in it.

Keep it up, and know that some day, it won't have power over you!

Rachel
  • mspoopoo
    mspoopoo Posts: 500 Member
    Options
    congratulations on kicking the soda habit! It can be tough but you did it!
  • aalicia88
    aalicia88 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    That is awesome! Quitting soda is really hard to do. I was always back and forth between diet and regular sodas because I would read article after article about which one was "worse". So finally I decided to try and give it up completely. I've been off soda for a little over a year now and hopefully someone will benefit from hearing how I switched from soda to water.

First I switched to Crystal Light and Unsweet Tea but I would add Sweet N Low. I did that for a few weeks before I switched to water just sweetened with lemons or limes. Then after that I just started to drink water by itself or occasionally I'll just have the unsweet tea without adding artificial sweeteners.

It was weird for me because it didn't feel as hard as I thought it would. My body just kind of naturally told me "ok this is too sweet, time to go for something lighter". It was really weird and really hard to explain the reasoning because I know before in the past, I would try many times to give up soda unsuccessfully.. I don't know what happened this time, it sort of just clicked.
  • mookybargirl
    mookybargirl Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    Well done to you. It's a great achievement to give up anything that you've become addicted to, and it's not easy to break a habit after so many years. Huge congrats to you. :flowerforyou:
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!