Aqua Exercise and Swimming

I have been doing aqua exercises and swimming for my daily exercise, with my weight at 245( down 21 pds from the April 20th) and a bad knee, this works best for me. But I am always searching for new aqua exercises to add to my current workout routine. Any one have something they love or found that works really well for them? TIA

Replies

• DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,619 Member
    I just swim laps. Half freestyle, half breastroke, 30 minutes total.
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    edited June 2017
    I have been doing aqua exercises and swimming for my daily exercise, with my weight at 245( down 21 pds from the April 20th) and a bad knee, this works best for me. But I am always searching for new aqua exercises to add to my current workout routine. Any one have something they love or found that works really well for them? TIA

I do a class. We warm up with walking across the pool, then 25 minutes of cardio which includes jogging in place (with different arm movements), jumping jacks, cross-country ski moves, kicks in different directions, etc. then we move into deeper water with noodles and do core strengthening. After that, we go back to where we can stand and do arm and leg strengthening with noodles or dumbbells. Finish up with stretching. Takes about 50-55 minutes total.

Google water aerobics exercises. There are a bunch all over the web.
  • middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,487 Member
    earlnabby wrote: »

I do a class. We warm up with walking across the pool, then 25 minutes of cardio which includes jogging in place (with different arm movements), jumping jacks, cross-country ski moves, kicks in different directions, etc. then we move into deeper water with noodles and do core strengthening. After that, we go back to where we can stand and do arm and leg strengthening with noodles or dumbbells. Finish up with stretching. Takes about 50-55 minutes total.

Google water aerobics exercises. There are a bunch all over the web.

This class sounds very much like the one I do.
    I will include ...
    lunges across the pool- forward then backward.
    Squatted Russian kicks with feet off the pool floor if possible.
    Sunshine/superman, start on back arms and legs spread, tuck knees, then rotate to lying on front, arms and legs spread, feet don't touch the bottom. Good ab exercise.
    Side walking crab.
    Side walking lunges
    Shallow squatted jump backs.

Cheers, h.
    If you can, find a class, they are fun.
  • cecekay19
    cecekay19 Posts: 89 Member
    Use the side of the pool to push yourself up and out of the pool, I call them pool push-ups. Use the side to do splits as far as you can, practice different kicks.

One thing I love to do in the pool is the survival backstroke. It's like doing jumping jacks in the water, I can swim long distances doing this stroke and it is a great full-body workout.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XDOWBdApU5Q
  • WendyLeigh1119
    WendyLeigh1119 Posts: 495 Member
    Aqua Zumba is really fun. Fast dancing in water isn't easy... but time flies by.
  • Colectable93
    Colectable93 Posts: 38 Member
    Thank you everyone great suggestions !