Intense sugar cravings at night!

Options
If you guys ever had cravings for sweets in the evening, how do you get pass them? Last night I was determined to fight the temptation, so I went to bed early. I've tried eating low carb during the day, but that doesn't really help. I usually crave a pack of donuts, cause of the instant feel good pick me up that it gives me.

Replies

• missann2000
    missann2000 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I need that sweet after dinner. I love Vitalicious brownies. 100 calories each and they satisfy my sweet tooth. The Vitalicious muffin tops are good too. Pricey, but for me totally worth it. Three times the size of any of the Fiber One things and way better tasting.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    I usually have something sweet after dinner...usually some dark chocolate. I don't try to avoid it, I just make it work.
  • miekmende
    miekmende Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    a teaspoon of nutella to eat slowly
  • Adc7225
    Adc7225 Posts: 1,318 Member
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    I usually have something sweet after dinner...usually some dark chocolate. I don't try to avoid it, I just make it work.

I agree with this, it's the 'forbidden fruit' syndrome :) just try and work it in to your calorie goal and if you set aside not only the calories but the food it won't be so tempting and at times easier to resist.
  • Maddelaineb
    Maddelaineb Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I almost always crave sweets towards the end of the day also. My tip is to replace your go-to's like donuts with a healthier alternative, such as fruits, trail mix, or a wholesome smoothie. It takes some time to really get over the craving for junk food, it's breaking a habit. Good luck!
  • rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member
    Options
    Yogurt with fruit, or just fruit, or a latte with chocolate are what I go for when I have sweet cravings.
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
    I save 200-300 calories for dessert every night.
  • Saffyra
    Saffyra Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    I also have insane sweets cravings at night. I've had success avoiding eating by having tea (sometimes with honey- measured and logged) at night. I drink a big mug or two. And, yup, head to bed early.
  • llbreuer2006
    llbreuer2006 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    If you guys ever had cravings for sweets in the evening, how do you get pass them? Last night I was determined to fight the temptation, so I went to bed early. I've tried eating low carb during the day, but that doesn't really help. I usually crave a pack of donuts, cause of the instant feel good pick me up that it gives me.
    How long did you try low carb and how low was your count? I am a complete and total sugar addict. I can't eat a donut. I eat an entire dozen and then go buy more!
    I now eat around 40g of carbs a day and I don't crave sugar. For me, I can't limit sugar. I have to take it out of the equation completely. It does, however, take 2-3 weeks of consistent low carb to stop the cravings.
    On the rare occasion that I do feel the need for something sweet now, I eat a small amount of fruit or a low carb/high fat treat like keto chocolate mousse. It satisfies without causing cravings and it doesn't take much because of the high fat content.
    After doing low carb for several weeks I noticed how much my sensitivity to sweet tastes changed. Steamed broccoli tastes sweet to me now. Fruit is super sweet.
    I hope this helps. If not, I agree with the above reply about dark chocolate.

• caloriemuse
    caloriemuse Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I've got two broad suggestions.
    1. Do everything you can to cut refined sugar out of anything you'd eat to satisfy a sweet tooth as it were. Just find something else that is entertaining in that way to eat. Example; 2 cups of blueberries, which is a SH&T load of blueberries (thinking bulk here) has only like 170 calories, how much ice cream, cookies, whatever your pleasure can you eat for that? In my mind it's a terrific tradeoff. Granted ice cream at 170 calories is much less expensive than blueberries 170 calories.
    2. Do everything you can to really investigate number 1, sugar acts like a drug in our systems and until you have a real sense of whether your graving is from the addiction or a real need for calories by your body you will be addicted, full stop.
  • CynthiasChoice
    CynthiasChoice Posts: 1,047 Member
    Options
    You said you tried going low carb during the day, but did you try to increase your protein? For me, protein is an appetite suppressant. For a few days, try extra hard to meet or exceed your MFP protein goal, and see if your cravings for sweets diminish.

If you're not a big meat eater, one way to do that is with protein powder that doesn't have added sugar. Plain Greek yogurt has a lot of protein too. You can mix in fruit and nuts if eating it plain is hard for you. The only plain Greek yogurt I like is Red Top from Lucky supermarket. Oikos plain is also okay.

Being sleep deprived or dehydrated can cause sugar cravings too.

When I was first trying to kick the sugar habit, I drank a lot of herbal teas, especially Celestial Seasonings Bengal Spice with a few drops of stevia. It really calmed me down and helped me feel satisfied.

Ultimately, you have to decide if you want to keep trying moderation, or if you think abstaining from sweets for a period of time would be helpful. If you keep failing at moderation and are getting frustrated because you're breaking promises to yourself, you either need to find new strategies (which is why you're here!) or you need to abstain for a while to see if that helps.

If you choose abstinence, it definitely can be done, but to change the habit you have to be really consistent. After a few months, going without sweets will feel normal to you, and you will hardly think at all about sweets at night - unless someone puts them in front of your face. That's always gonna be hard!

Abstinence doesn't have to last forever. Usually it calms down your cravings so that you can make more rational choices about when to enjoy a treat and how much to have.

Hope you find good ideas from someone and that you have the success you want.

• bbell1985
    bbell1985 Posts: 4,572 Member
    Options
    Well if you don't have a pack of donuts in the house, you won't eat them. Keeping highly palatable calorie dense foods out of the house for a time is one strategy.

Or, if you're good at moderation, pre-log a serving of something you like.
  • myredbird
    myredbird Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Juicies, which are packets of frozen fruit juice. 43 calories each. Also crunchy and take a long time to eat! :smile: I know for sure they are available in Oz and NZ; not sure about US, but there must be something similar.
  • swimmer2798
    swimmer2798 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I love saving some calories for halo top(60-80ish cals/serving), or frozen yogurt(100-130 cals/serving without toppings), or a McDonalds ice cream cone or cookie (both 170 cals) at the end of the night! It's what keeps me sane with all the salads and veggies!
  • WendyLeigh1119
    WendyLeigh1119 Posts: 495 Member
    edited June 2017
    Options
    I also save 260 calories each day for 2 small "Nature's Bakery" protein brownies and a small glass of milk. Primarily because I'm generally hungry right before bed.

If your cravings are just an intense urge for some sugar in your body rather than nighttime "grazing", you may be better off keeping a bag of Skittles or other non-chocolate candy around and save calories for a handful of that, instead.
  • Luna3386
    Luna3386 Posts: 888 Member
    Options
    Halo top!
  • ari_mon3t
    ari_mon3t Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I totally understand! I have the same issue, except Incrave sour candy, constantly. For the past 3 weeks I haven't had any candy, but I have had green grapes, pineapples and olives with my salad. I'm trying to satisfy my sweet and sour craving with substituted foods.
  • hltc13084
    hltc13084 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I have a lot of success with pink lady apples ( they taste sweeter to me) with some peanut butter
  • kelly_stevens81
    kelly_stevens81 Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    Halo Top!
  • chelllsea124
    chelllsea124 Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    I definitely don't try to avoid it. I've realized that if I fight the craving, I'll give into it and binge! I keep Halo Top around or the Outshine fruit bars. I also really enjoy the sweetness in the oats and chocolate fiber one bars! They're like a dessert to me. Good luck!