Health & fitness: Tired of re-starting!

Options
Hi MyFitnessPal community,
Over the last year I had been taking medication which contributed to a weight gain of roughly 17 lbs. I have since stopped taking medication (with the support of a Doctor) and have been trying to transition into a healthier lifestyle. I joined a gym in November, and committed to personal training sessions twice a week. I did not drastically change my eating, which I realize was not a move in the right direction. While I toned up a bit and look less jiggly, I put on about 5lbs of muscle. I know this sounds horrible, but it's driving me crazy to see the number on the scale has gone UP since working out, rather than down.
I realize now that I need to eat a lot cleaner to lose body fat, and probably have to get into the gym more than just 1-2 times a week to see results. My problem is that I always seem to end up losing motivation for a while, then get irritated with myself and have to re start. I'm tired of re starting!! Does anyone have any motivation / dieting / exercise tips for weight loss? :)

Replies

• livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,751 Member
    Options
    Don't make the changes unsustainable. To lose weight you don't need to eat clean (whatever that means to you) or exercise. You simply need to eat in a calorie deficit.

Get a calorie goal for weight loss by putting your stats in to MFP. Weigh and measure everything you eat, log it accurately, and eat to the calorie goal. If you notice you're getting hungry, or don't have energy at certain times, try playing around with macro breakdown, meal timing and food choices. Incorporating more nutrient dense foods is great for health, but you don't need to do a full 180 in your lifestyle to get results. Exercise is also great for health and body composition, but again, not absolute necessary for weight loss.
  • meg_mindbody
    meg_mindbody Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Don't make the changes unsustainable. To lose weight you don't need to eat clean (whatever that means to you) or exercise. You simply need to eat in a calorie deficit.

Get a calorie goal for weight loss by putting your stats in to MFP. Weigh and measure everything you eat, log it accurately, and eat to the calorie goal. If you notice you're getting hungry, or don't have energy at certain times, try playing around with macro breakdown, meal timing and food choices. Incorporating more nutrient dense foods is great for health, but you don't need to do a full 180 in your lifestyle to get results. Exercise is also great for health and body composition, but again, not absolute necessary for weight loss.

Thank you for the helpful advice!!
  • purrtuzzi
    purrtuzzi Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Hi! My best advice is to be honest and stick with it. If you eat a big Mac, log it. It'll make you realize and value calories more. Also, don't weigh yourself around your period time. It's pure water weight and will go away, but it'll give you a negative attitude. Feel free to add me as a friend if you'd like :)