Not enough calories and working out

Options
13»

Replies

• cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    Missycvt wrote: »
    So as long as I'm at 1200 with working off 500 I'm ok?

No...that's the same as just eating 700 calories per day...in what world would that be healthy?
  • JPD00focus
    JPD00focus Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    1200 is a minimum if you go below that your body can go into fat storage mode. your metabolism can slow down and your muscles may not recover after your workouts. Peanut butter can give you the extra 200 cal that on a piece of toast and you can be set. At first you can get away with not eating your cals from working out but not for long.
  • xandra47
    xandra47 Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    Feel free to add me, my food diary is open to friends and I'm working with about the same number of daily calories as you. I also workout 6 days a week.
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    JPD00focus wrote: »
    1200 is a minimum if you go below that your body can go into fat storage mode. your metabolism can slow down and your muscles may not recover after your workouts. Peanut butter can give you the extra 200 cal that on a piece of toast and you can be set. At first you can get away with not eating your cals from working out but not for long.

Nope. The metabolism decrease can happen, but it takes a very long period of dieting for it to occur. But your body won't store fat when you eat below 1200.

OP, you should be eating 1200 after exercise. Otherwise you risk a host of health issues (muscle loss, hair loss, fatigue, brittle hair/nails, irregular menstrual cycle, and so on).
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    Options
    Nobody has yet asked. What exercise did you do that burned 557 calories?

I did HIIT on treadmill for 30 minutes...fast walk and jog...and 30 mins moderate elliptical.

then its not hiit. hiit is usually less than 20 min. sounds more like interval training.
  • DX2JX2
    DX2JX2 Posts: 1,921 Member
    Options
    Nobody has yet asked. What exercise did you do that burned 557 calories?

I did HIIT on treadmill for 30 minutes...fast walk and jog...and 30 mins moderate elliptical.

Mostly semantics because it was mentioned on anther thread here but a combination of fast walk and jogging isn't high intensity interval training. HIIT means that your intense intervals are super intense (you push absolutely as hard as you can for the time allotted) with the intent of pushing yourself deep into the anaerobic zone (very close to your max heart rate) in order to build muscle.

If you were really doing HIIT, a more likely combination would be all out sprint and slow walk (mainly because the high intensity sessions make you want to die and you can't do anything else but a slow walk, or possibly just stand still with your hands on your knees afterwards).

Fast walk and jog is more of an amped up steady state cardio routine. You're still burning calories, but you're not necessarily building muscle as you would in HIIT.