Do you retain water more in hot weather?

Options
2»

Replies

• GottaBurnEmAll
    GottaBurnEmAll Posts: 7,722 Member
    Options
    I do. Even with air conditioning.

If it's humid and even the least bit warm when I go out for my morning run, I start to swell up.

Heat and I are not friends.
  • VintageFeline
    VintageFeline Posts: 6,771 Member
    Options
    Muana1005 wrote: »
    I gained a kilo over the heatwave (yesterday was horrible) whilst still eating to target so I'm inclined to agree it's water rentention. We do tend to get it bad in the UK because our houses (and offices) are built for cold, wet weather. So a house with carpets, no air con, and insulation, can feel like hell in a heatwave.

My bedroom was a 34 degree sweat box, so glad today is a bit cooler

Same.

Bloaty Mcbloatbloat. Had a whoosh this morning finally.

And yep, extra bloat if I exercise too. I actually just sacked off exercising the last few days, my flat is just too warm and it's such a short period that i'd rather leave it than start trying to adjust. And you know, excuse.

I do love the heat, been to Florida many times but air con everywhere including in homes makes all the difference in coping. Even the cats were melting.
  • sarahlifts
    sarahlifts Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    Heat always brings the water for me.
    I drink 140-160 oz of water a day year round.
    When I was obese I would swell up
    in shape I swell up
    I make an attempt a pushing more water by 24 oz but I'm plenty hydrated.
    My mother has this issue as well :(

My rings were spinning this morning. They are sitting perfectly on my hand now.

This is just how some humans are for some reason. I hoped beyond all hope this swelling in heat would stop once I got fit. Its just how my body behaves :neutral:
  • bbell1985
    bbell1985 Posts: 4,572 Member
    Options
    I actually don't think so. I always think I look a bit leaner in hot weather. Maybe just because I'm more careful when it comes to the summer bod.
  • bekkins
    bekkins Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I think it might have an effect yes! I was stuck on 230lb for 8 days, wondering what the heck was going on. Then last night it finally started getting cooler and I woke up at four am and I swear I had the longest pee ever haha! This morning hopped on the scales and woooooosh down 2lb! My body finally gave it up and while it may not be related to the heat I can't think of much else it could have been...
  • kellyfeb78
    kellyfeb78 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    I got sunburnt Sunday and have put on weight but I've also got swollen ankles so have put it down to that but it's very disheartening, I've not even logged my weight as a result of this
  • Running_and_Coffee
    Running_and_Coffee Posts: 811 Member
    Options
    I live in S. Florida and haven't noticed that. It's very hot and humid now and I don't know that I was significantly lighter during the few cooler months we get (they happen to fall during Christmas when there is food galore, so if I would have weighed less, it all probably evened out!)
  • Moxie42
    Moxie42 Posts: 1,400 Member
    Options
    I definitely seem to swell up a bit on hot weather, especially hot humid weather. I can always tell by how my wedding ring fits. I live in Southern California- it's been in the 80s-90s all week, and humid, and I felt like a gross hot air balloon. Today is overcast and nice, and I feel 10 lbs lighter, lol!
  • LotusCass
    LotusCass Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    Muana1005 wrote: »
    I gained a kilo over the heatwave (yesterday was horrible) whilst still eating to target so I'm inclined to agree it's water rentention. We do tend to get it bad in the UK because our houses (and offices) are built for cold, wet weather. So a house with carpets, no air con, and insulation, can feel like hell in a heatwave.

Absolutely! So many people tell me I must be used to this being from Australia, but it's very different. You can't escape it here, and 32 degrees here is more like 40 back home.

• gtace36
    gtace36 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Interesting! I've been losing weight at a good rate But My weight has maintained for the last 6 days despite training and eating the same as before! Been a bit soul destroying really ... hopefully the heat explains it ...!!?
  • DamieBird
    DamieBird Posts: 651 Member
    Options
    gtace36 wrote: »
    Interesting! I've been losing weight at a good rate But My weight has maintained for the last 6 days despite training and eating the same as before! Been a bit soul destroying really ... hopefully the heat explains it ...!!?

That's what I'm hoping . . . . between an insane heat wave (105 and up) and TOM, my scale isn't going anywhere. I have been a little more lax in diet leading up to the last few weeks, but I *still* should be down about 1.5ish more than what I am.
  • VintageFeline
    Options
    I would say it's more likely to have an impact if it's an unusual weather situation for you. Living in Florida might affect it once humidity picks up again but it's nearly always humid there and there's air con.

I am in a flat that's surrounded top bottom and sides. I have drafts windows but even in winter it's warmer than your average house.

Must be noted though, not losing for 6 or 8 days is totally normal, fluctuations are totally normal, it doesn't need to be explained in those circumstances. Interesting to note? Sure. But this is unusual circumstances wise. My weight always goes up and down, not just when it's hot and humid.
  • cmtigger
    cmtigger Posts: 1,450 Member
    Options
    My issue is with eating in the heat. All I want is cold carbonated water, and food makes me queasy.

There is a heat wave in CA, and my home is usually in the 80's in the mountains, so I don't have AC either. It's been around 100 the last few days.
  • VintageFeline
    Options
    cmtigger wrote: »
    My issue is with eating in the heat. All I want is cold carbonated water, and food makes me queasy.

There is a heat wave in CA, and my home is usually in the 80's in the mountains, so I don't have AC either. It's been around 100 the last few days.

This evening was the first hot meal I've had in about a week. All salads all the time. My coffee the first hot one for the same time!
  • cmtigger
    cmtigger Posts: 1,450 Member
    edited June 2017
    Options
    cmtigger wrote: »

This evening was the first hot meal I've had in about a week. All salads all the time. My coffee the first hot one for the same time!

My critters are eating more than me. I keep throwing cold things at the chickens and guinea fowl outside and the rest are cool in the unfinished basement.

I have had a cup of coffee every day.
  • sarahlifts
    sarahlifts Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    gtace36 wrote: »

the water has no effect on my overall weight per se
    I still lose when I am trying to lose.
    It fluctuates for me

when I typed my original message here I had just returned from lunch outdoors. My ring was sitting perfect on my hands ( no spinning) Now hours later after being inside air conditioning its back to spinning.

Its not permanent its not dehydration.

It is a reaction to heat and humidity.

• SCoil123
    SCoil123 Posts: 2,108 Member
    Options
    Anywhere from 90-110F here in the mountains of Northern CA the past 2 weeks and I am swollen too. I think those of us who don't deal with the heat regularly are much more sensitive to it.
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options
    I live in the Great Lakes area so we get cold winters and hot summers. Whenever the hot weather comes, I gain a couple of pounds. It may fluctuate a little but I end up having a good whoosh in the fall when we get consistent cooler temps and the extra water I retained all summer goes away. Normally it isn't much, just enough to feel a difference in my rings. They start spinning in the fall.