Help getting started on toning while losing weight

Hey everyone, so I'm back on trying to lose weight. I don't want to just do cardio since I want to lose weight but get toned and fit as well. I don't know where to start...I'm thinking about joining a gym. Not sure how to use the equipments for toning/building muscles as I am a beginner so I've never done it before. Are equipments necessary? What are some things you guys do or recommend?

Replies

• Tazzie0208
    Tazzie0208 Posts: 66 Member
    does your local gym have trainers you might get help with?? also youtube has so much you can do fitnessblender.com, pick from the several videos they have...good luck!
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Beginners can start with body weight exercise: squats, planks, push ups, etc. Google You Are Your Own Gym.

Toning isn't a real thing.....while losing weight you are losing the layer of fat that covers existing muscle. You're not (likely) building muscle.....but helping maintain it instead.

A gym is great if it will motivate you. Gym equipment can help you progress but you don't have to start there.
  • Penthesilea514
    Penthesilea514 Posts: 1,189 Member
    Choose a beginner lifting program and do that. Stronglifts 5X5 (my favorite), Starting Strength and Strong Curves are popular beginner programs.

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10332083/which-lifting-program-is-the-best-for-you/p1

I am starting with dumbbells and the Aworkoutroutine from that list, as it is super straight forward and teaches the basic compound movements (I currently only have access to dumbbells in my current gym situation). I have really enjoyed it so far.

Bodyweight exercises are great though and might be a good starting place. The Nerd Fitness one is one that I think a lot of people have liked and used.

Good luck!
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,463 Member
    The sooner you start the happier you'll be in the end. I worked with a personal trainer, but that's not essential. Follow good basic strength training program, such as those mentioned above, start where you are at with what you can do now and progress from there. I could barely do a step-up or a wall squat 3 years ago but I just finished a 2 week vacation hiking through the Swiss Alps.